10 Pin Socket on the Z8/9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Al Wyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Does anyone use this and for what? This has to be the worst design I have ever seen. At least the old ones (D850) pointed to the front of the camera where this one comes out at a 45 degree angle. I connected my di-GPS and it stuck out like sore thumb. It would snap off the first time I put it back in my camera bag.

Also, what is anyone using for a gps on their Z8?

I would like to try using Snapbridge but all I want it to do is get the gps data from my phone. I don't care about transferring photos or any of the other things that it can do. Is there a specific way that I should set it up to get gps only.

Al

I saw several people have been complaining about this, but I really haven't been bothered by the 10-pin connector design on either my Z9, or my Z8. I don't find the angle to be any more off-putting than if it were straight out of the body. In fact, I think there is a little more room for me to get my fingers into the tight space to screw in and/or remove the connector.

I have used both the Nikon WR-R11a/WR-T10 Wireless Remote and the Nikon MC-30A Remote Trigger Release countless times on my Z9 without any issues, and this is typically from my tripod using the Really Right Stuff Modular L-Plate. Yes, when I rotate to portrait orientation, I do have to make sure the wired remote cable doesn't get in the way of the clamp, but this is no different than what I have had to do with any of my other cameras (including the D810 and D850, which didn't have an angle to their 10-pin connectors).

I don't have an L-bracket for my Z8 yet, but I have test fitted the remote shutter release, and there is plenty of room for an L-bracket to be connected without the release cable getting in the way.

I almost always remove whatever is connected to the 10-pin connector when I put my camera in my bag, but I have on occasion left items connected when I am relocating short distances. Also, the R11a has a pivot joint just above the part that screws into the 10-pin connector, so that offers a little flexibility to adjust it to more optimal positions if needed, which does come in handy at times.

Last edited:
I use mine quite often, whether with a Nikon MC-30A, Vello FreeWave Micro, or the mobile dongle that I use with my TriggerTrap app for astrophotography. Yeah sure, it's a little goofy coming out at an angle vs. straight like my D500 (and other DSLRs), but like @SoCalRick said, I think it makes it easier to screw remotes in and out. I have the same RRS modular L-plate Rick mentions, and I haven't had an issue with interference with the bracket. And I rarely leave anything connected when I put my Z9 back in the bag.

Although on my last outing, I started to think that, with the absence of a mirror, there's no mirror bounce/slap, so maybe there's no need for a remote? Maybe a 2-5 second self-time obviates the need for a remote for general shooting? I'm specifically talking the photos taken when you're right by your camera, not remote setups or special use cases like astrophotography.

And I don't have a Z8, so I can't help on your last question. I've had only limited use with SnapBridge.

Last edited:
I use mine frequently on my Z9, with one of several (mostly Vello) remote releases. I haven't had much issue with it, though you do have to be mindful of the cable if you're using an L-bracket to mount portrait-style on a tripod (I use the RRS modular plate and it's a bit of a tight clearance, but it connects fine). The angle IS less ideal than the D850/D500, but it hasn't created any insurmountable hassle for me. And while I generally aim to remove the cable before putting it back in the bag, more than once I've been in a hurry late at night to put things away and go home, so just crammed it back in with the cable attached and had no issue there either.

Though, I have had a Foolography Unleashed on order from their kickstarter for about a year now, so we'll see how well it connects when/if the thing ever actually arrives. I haven't tried connecting a wall-wart like that on the Z9 yet. We shall see.

I use mine frequently on my Z9, with one of several (mostly Vello) remote releases. I haven't had much issue with it, though you do have to be mindful of the cable if you're using an L-bracket to mount portrait-style on a tripod (I use the RRS modular plate and it's a bit of a tight clearance, but it connects fine). The angle IS less ideal than the D850/D500, but it hasn't created any insurmountable hassle for me. And while I generally aim to remove the cable before putting it back in the bag, more than once I've been in a hurry late at night to put things away and go home, so just crammed it back in with the cable attached and had no issue there either.

Though, I have had a Foolography Unleashed on order from their kickstarter for about a year now, so we'll see how well it connects when/if the thing ever actually arrives. I haven't tried connecting a wall-wart like that on the Z9 yet. We shall see.
You can use the Foolography Unleashed ( Unleashed 18) N1 which you can get from B&H. As far as I know, the only difference between the N1 and the new one which is on kickstarter is that the new model works more brands like Sony and Fuji whereas the old N1 only works with Nikon and Canon.

Back