180-600 a little loose on Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

GregT943

Does anyone else have a tiny bit of play in the connection of their 186 and Z camera? It's not a lot of movement, it's very very slight, and does not seem to effect the performance at all, but I noticed it recently and it didn't use to be there. None of my other lenses have any play at all. I always use the lens foot to support the camera/lens. Does anyone else have this, and if so is it something that has gotten gradually worse?

Does anyone else have a tiny bit of play in the connection of their 186 and Z camera? It's not a lot of movement, it's very very slight, and does not seem to effect the performance at all, but I noticed it recently and it didn't use to be there. None of my other lenses have any play at all. I always use the lens foot to support the camera/lens. Does anyone else have this, and if so is it something that has gotten gradually worse?
Longer lenses seem to have a bit of play at the lens mount, whereas the shorter lenses don't. As @Cameron T said, no need to worry. :)

I haven't noticed a bit of rotational 'slop' on Z-mount Nikon lenses, but do notice it on a Tamron 35-150mm lens. Was told by Thom Hogan that this was normal, and is sometimes seen on Z-mount Nikon lenses as well.

Seems like an unfortunate fit/finish issue (and I'll admit, it shook my confidence initially!), but apparently it does not impact camera/lens function.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, good to know. I got nervous because there wasn't any movement when I first got the lens, and there wasn't any movement with the F mount 200-500 on my old DSLR or with the FTZ on my Z8, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue I needed to worry about.

I don't know if it is play as much as some torque force against the retaining mechanism. I can feel it "click" when I try to turn the lens in either direction though don't see any movement.

I don't know if it is play as much as some torque force against the retaining mechanism. I can feel it "click" when I try to turn the lens in either direction though don't see any movement.
This is what I experience as well. It's more of a feeling than actually seeing it move. Good to know it's nothing though.

As a precaution you can carefully check the screws holding the lens bayonet in place and the screws holding the body bayonet in place are still tight.
They should be.

Yes I have a little slop in my Z9 and 180-600. Not a lot, not yet anyway. My D850 with the 500PF attached had quite a bit of slop. I once carried the camera with Peak straps at the camera mounts and was told that was the reason. I don't use them anymore. I use Black Rapid with the Z9.

They all have a little play. From my Nikon F2 to my current D750s. I think it's just more noticed with the larger lenses. If you think about it, you attach a 24 mm or 50 mm to the camera body. But lenses around 200 mm and larger you attach the camera body to the lens.

I suspect some of it is tolerance stacking. Few things are perfect. Things are machined to a spec plus or minus a very small amount. You might have a lens with a mount on the small side and a camera with a mount on the high side. Both are well within spec, but the combination has a perceptible play.

Greg, just curious, how would compare the 200-500 with the 180-600?

Both are fantastic lenses. But the 200-500 shows it's age. The 180-600 is weather sealed, internal zoom elements, sharper, and much faster autofocus. The 180-600 is better in pretty much every way. But that doesn't mean the 200-500 isn't a great lens. I got some amazing shots that are tack sharp with the 200-500 on my Z8 prior to the 180-600 being released. I definitely think it's worth the upgrade to the 180-600, but you can still get excellent images with the 200-500.

Mine is a lot looser than I'd like. I've also tried a friends and his felt the same. The mount is definitely looser feeling than any other lens I've tried. It's all radial play, axial is very minimal if any. It's definitely a great lens though!

I had rotational slop between my d500 and 500PF. It was about 1 to 2mm. I got an "err" message on the top of my camera and it stopped working. I demounted the lens, turned off the camera and remounted. It came back up. That was the only time, but I could feel the looseness.

I used to carry my camera with one PD clip on the foot and one on the camera. The previous owner of the 500PF may have as well. This puts a lot of torque on the mount.

I sent the lens in to Nikons service center and they replaced the mount. All good now.

As a precaution you can carefully check the screws holding the lens bayonet in place and the screws holding the body bayonet in place are still tight.
They should be.
FWIW, I too was concerned about my 180-600 Z lens having some play when mounted on my Z8, so I went to the local photography store where I bought them, and was reassured that the 160 to 600 Z lens does have a little play and it's not a concern. However, I second this suggestion to check the screws. Just this morning I went to remove the 180-600 mm from my Z8 and it was very tight. Once I got the lens off I noticed one of the screws on the camera mount had become loose and was pressing against the lens mount (slight metal scraping of the lens mount where it had touched during the lens removal). I tightened that screw and made sure the others were also tight. The lens mounts and unmounts with ease now, although the slight play is still evident.

Yes I have a little slop in my Z9 and 180-600. Not a lot, not yet anyway. My D850 with the 500PF attached had quite a bit of slop. I once carried the camera with Peak straps at the camera mounts and was told that was the reason. I don't use them anymore. I use Black Rapid with the Z9.
Just ensure the strap attaches to the lens, not the camera body. All that weight combined with the length of the lens to put a lot of torque on the lens mount. Personally, I use a PD strap, but have the mounting dongles attached to the strap loops on the sides of the lens collar.

Nevertheless, I try to avoid letting the camera/180-600 combo dangle if at all possible.

I have 2 more PD attachments on the camera’s Arca plate for shorter lenses.

Back