2 camera option

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AstroEd

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am considering saving for the Z9, the F2Z converter and the Z9 1.4x teleconverter and a couple z-mount dedicated lenses. My thoughts are to use my D500 for still birds, large wildlife like Elk and perched eagles, and the Z9 primarily (at least at first) for Birds in flight and moving/running mammals. Would this be a decent 2 camera setup option?

I got the 500mm PF and heard it works really well with the Z9, I can not wait to try it but it will be a couple years before I can afford that.

I am considering saving for the Z9, the F2Z converter and the Z9 1.4x teleconverter and a couple z-mount dedicated lenses. My thoughts are to use my D500 for still birds, large wildlife like Elk and perched eagles, and the Z9 primarily (at least at first) for Birds in flight and moving/running mammals. Would this be a decent 2 camera setup option?

Makes no sense to me. Shoot with the best camera you own would be my view.

RE: I am considering saving for the Z9, the F2Z converter and the Z9 1.4x teleconverter and a couple z-mount dedicated lenses.

So if a person has a Nikon DSLR 1.4 teleconverter (TC-14 III) will it not work with the FIIZ and 500PF and such lens?

I was under the impression that you put the TC-14 III between the FIIZ and the 500PF But not sure how well it works. I know I read a post somewhere about it but for the life of me I can not remember where.

Last edited:
Is your thought process to keep the D500 for the reach with the crop factor? Is so the Z9 solves that for you. One really cool think about DX mode in Z9 vs DSLR's is that the Z9 doesn't just black out part of the optical viewfinder it actually zooms into the crop factor so it fills the EVF and would give you the same field of view as the D500. One of the benefits of mirrorless verse DSLR. Z9 in DX is going to give you similar resolution that D500 gives you as well with a higher frame rate and better focusing system. Not bad to have it as a back up body but I would use Z9 to shoot everything you are looking to shoot.

Is your thought process to keep the D500 for the reach with the crop factor? Is so the Z9 solves that for you. One really cool think about DX mode in Z9 vs DSLR's is that the Z9 doesn't just black out part of the optical viewfinder it actually zooms into the crop factor so it fills the EVF and would give you the same field of view as the D500. One of the benefits of mirrorless verse DSLR. Z9 in DX is going to give you similar resolution that D500 gives you as well with a higher frame rate and better focusing system. Not bad to have it as a back up body but I would use Z9 to shoot everything you are looking to shoot.
I am considering to use both though I feel in a short while I will use the Z9 primarily and the D500 as a backup.

I’m with Darrellhar…if you have a Z9, you don’t need to bring a D500 with you when you shoot. Keeping the D500 as a backup is fine, but as stated by others, the Z9 will do everything you need it to do, far better than the D500 will.

And yes, the TC14E III works splendidly on F-mount glass with the FTZ on Z cameras. I’ve had zero issues using this setup on a Z6II with a 500mm f/4, 105mm macro, and most recently a 500PF.

I was under the impression that you put the TC-14 III between the FIIZ and the 500PF But not sure how well it works. I know I read a post somewhere about it but for the life of me I can not remember where.
The 500 mm PF + 1.4x TCIII + FTZ or FTZII works very well on Z bodies. Better, in my experience, than on a DSLR (at least my D500 and D850). I have used mine on a Z9, Z7II, Z7 and Z6II. The combo works particularly well on the Z9.

There are several reasons why it works better on a Z body: All the focus points work across the frame, even though the lens/TC combo is f8. On a DSLR, only a small number (8 or 9) of the focus points near the center of the frame work with an f8 lens or combo. Also, there is generally no need to focus tune the lens + TC, something that is often needed with a DSLR even if the bare lens does not need tuning. I also find that the 1.7x TCII and 2x TCIII work well with the 500 mm PF, an FTZ or FTZII and the Z9. If you have the choice, the FTZII works better with the Z9 than the original FTZ, given the built-in vertical grip.

I’m with Darrellhar…if you have a Z9, you don’t need to bring a D500 with you when you shoot. Keeping the D500 as a backup is fine, but as stated by others, the Z9 will do everything you need it to do, far better than the D500 will.

And yes, the TC14E III works splendidly on F-mount glass with the FTZ on Z cameras. I’ve had zero issues using this setup on a Z6II with a 500mm f/4, 105mm macro, and most recently a 500PF.
I never new about the DX mode.

The 500 mm PF + 1.4x TCIII + FTZ or FTZII works very well on Z bodies. Better, in my experience, than on a DSLR (at least my D500 and D850). I have used mine on a Z9, Z7II, Z7 and Z6II. The combo works particularly well on the Z9.

There are several reasons why it works better on a Z body: All the focus points work across the frame, even though the lens/TC combo is f8. On a DSLR, only a small number (8 or 9) of the focus points near the center of the frame work with an f8 lens or combo. Also, there is generally no need to focus tune the lens + TC, something that is often needed with a DSLR even if the bare lens does not need tuning. I also find that the 1.7x TCII and 2x TCIII work well with the 500 mm PF, an FTZ or FTZII and the Z9. If you have the choice, the FTZII works better with the Z9 than the original FTZ, given the built-in vertical grip.
I made the mistake of getting a 2.0x teleconverter for my Sigma 150-600mm lens and I can not get autofocus to work properly only manual and nothing ever looks sharp so I do not use it, (What a waste of money) Does the 500PF and 2.0x teleconverter on Z9 have this issue? I am currently looking for 1.4x and 1.7x teleconverter for the D500.

2x converters can be problematic at the best of times, some love em, most hate them. Apart from IQ, the main problem is the amount of light you need. Most autofocus systems (on slow lenses) cannot cope. Your Sigma 150-600 is going to be something approaching f13.

I made the mistake of getting a 2.0x teleconverter for my Sigma 150-600mm lens and I can not get autofocus to work properly only manual and nothing ever looks sharp so I do not use it, (What a waste of money) Does the 500PF and 2.0x teleconverter on Z9 have this issue? I am currently looking for 1.4x and 1.7x teleconverter for the D500.
The D500 and D850 (and I think the D5 and D6, although I do not have them) will AF with a lens + TC combination that is f8 or faster. At f8, the D500 and D850 are able to use only 8 or 9 AF points near that center of the frame. The D500 and D850 generally do not AF with lens + TC combinations that are slower than f8. Z bodies will AF with lens + TC combinations that are f11 (and I have read also f22). I have used f11 combinations on the Z9, Z7II, Z7 and Z6II with good results.

The 500 mm PF + 1.4x TCIII is f8. So it will AF on a D500 or D850 (with central AF points), although as I mentioned, I prefer a Z body when I use the 500 mm PF with a 1.4x TCIII. AF just works better on a Z body in this case in my experience.

The 500 mm PF + 1.7x TCII is f9.5. As such, it is outside the AF specifications on a D500 or D850. I think you might get some AF with this combination in bright light, but I would not recommend it.

The 500 mm PF + 2x TCIII is f11. As such, I do not think you will get AF with this combination on a D500 or D850 or other Nikon DSLR. (This may be the reason you did not get AF with the Sigma lens and a 2x TC.)

I have used the 500 mm PF with the 2x TCIII on both a Z9 and Z7II. Optical quality is pretty good, although not quite as good as the 1.4x TCIII. Good enough to be useful to me and better than equivalent cropping IMO. Both the Z9 and Z7II will AF with this combination. However, Z9 is much faster. I have used the 500 mm PF + 2x TCIII + FTZII on the Z9 to photograph bald eagles flying and fishing along the Mississippi River. On the Z7II, I find the 500 mm PF + 2x TIII a bit slow for flying birds. The 1.7x TCII + the 500 mm PF also works well on the Z9 and Z7II -- even on the Z7II, I find it AFs fast enough for larger (and generally slower) birds in flight (e.g., bald eagles, great blue herons, great egrets, swans, sandhill cranes and the like).

I am starting to wish I waited instead of getting the D500 a year ago, it is rare that I can get closer than 1000’ to some of the birds of prey and Elk near me. And as a disabled Veteran I do not have the income to just buy Z9 out right, heck I saved several years for the D500 and 3 lenses.

I am starting to wish I waited instead of getting the D500 a year ago, it is rare that I can get closer than 1000’ to some of the birds of prey and Elk near me. And as a disabled Veteran I do not have the income to just buy Z9 out right, heck I saved several years for the D500 and 3 lenses.
The D500 is a great camera. I have many great shots from mine, especially with the 500 mm PF. I have mostly moved to Z bodies now, especially with the Z9. But I still have the D500 -- getting a Z9 has only now caused me to think about selling the D500.

If I had a crystal ball I’d suspect you will use the Z9 and the D500 will collect dust. Need the crop factor just put the Z9 in DX mode and now you have essentially the same MP as a D500 but a lot more capable camera.

That d500 is still a good camera.

The D500 is a great camera and I don’t think you should regret getting it. I think it would work well as a backup for the Z9. The Z9 will do just about everything better and would likely be your primary camera. Given you situation, it sounds like you have some time before you would be able to buy one which should play into your favor. You will likely have some cheaper options like a Z7iii or other unknown camera to chose from as well. If you were looking to get into the Z system, you could always use the D500 for birds in flight and something like a Z6 or Z7 for larger mammals.

First, I don't shoot birds in flight much, although there were lots of Bald Eagles in our area during the past month.

I have a Z6ii and a D500 and I shoot a lot of sports. I will take the Z6ii and the d500 to most events. I still shoot with my f2.8 F mount glass using the FTZ adapter on the Z6ii and shoot almost everything with it. The D500 is a fine camera but for my shooting the Z6ii just out performs it in almost every way. I shoot the D500 a little more for outdoor sports than indoor but still the Z6ii wins out. I am moving a little more to Z glass so I am thinking about adding another Z camera. The Z9 is out of my price range so I am considering a Z50 or Z7ii.

If you have the Z9 in the bag think when you would want to pull out the D500.

I presently have D500 and Z7, with Z9 on order. I plan to ditch the Z7 and keep the D500 when I get the Z9 (if that ever happens). AF on D500 is superior and it's my go-to body for fast moving objects, i.e. birds in flight. Can only hope that Z9 AF is as good as D500.

I've found that having two bodies can be very useful when you are shooting from a blind, observation deck, out of a car window or hiking a short distance. My two year to transition from Nikon DSLRs to the Z cameras is complete. When I can, I take a Z7ii with Z TC 1.4 and 70-200 mm f/2.8 and the Z9 with 400 mm f/2.8 TC S (waiting for delivery. sold my 500 PF too quickly) I will have available 98-280 mm f/4, 400 mm f/4 and 580 mm f/5.6 without having to change lenses or add a TC in the field. I was sitting trying to shoot tundra swans with the 500 mm at 200 yards when a coyote walked within 40 feet. I was able to pick up my second camera and get several images before he walked off into the brush.

RE: I am considering saving for the Z9, the F2Z converter and the Z9 1.4x teleconverter and a couple z-mount dedicated lenses.

So if a person has a Nikon DSLR 1.4 teleconverter (TC-14 III) will it not work with the FIIZ and 500PF and such lens?
I had the D500 and as soon as a D850 was available I got it as well. after some time with combo but never using the D500 I sold it. the Z9 will do everything that the D500 could and then some...

Both great cameras - but swapping between my D850/D500 and Z9 makes my head spin. 🦘

Back