2 of 4 snake post from last weekend

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
WARNING - if you don't like snakes, move on from my next couple posts.

The Cottonmouth (aka water moccasin). These are closely related to the other "moccasin" snake the Copperhead. While they are venomous, none of the ones we have seen were aggressive. Like any wild animal, when harassed, molested, frightened, or hurt (read stepped on) they can strike. Only thing when these strike, you may be in for a rough couple days. Not often fatal but from what I understand it is quite painful and makes one very very sick for a few days. I don't want to find out. As you notice, these were all shot with the 100-500mm lens on a crop sensor (R7) body. We were at a safe distance for us and the snakes.

This is kind of a "make itself look bigger" display. Not really aggression but it is 1) raising up to get a better look around, and 2) telling approaching creatures they are getting close enough.
_T3A0598.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This is a young one. The young cottonmouths are really quite beautiful in their colors and patterns.
_T3A0674.jpg

OK, everyone asks and wants to see the open mouth shot. Here it is. This is how they get their name cottonmouth. This snake was just in a grumpy mood. We were not very close, my shadow went over it and it displayed the "open mouth" pose. I would never invoke this just for a photo, quite by accident and a grumpy snake. This photo is cropped in about 505 or so.l
_T3A0939.jpg

This is the kind of place they look for to spend the winter. This is at the base of one of the cliffs. I doubt if this snake will winter here probably preferring somewhere where it can get farther back in the rocks to take a winter nap.
_T3A0526.jpg

Jeff

Back