300mm F2.8 Z anytime soon?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ado Wolf

At the beginning of every winter, I struggle with the days that become very short and daylight very limited. In the past, I switching to the 300 PF.. but even with the F4, it’s becoming hard to photograph with acceptable ISO levels.

Now that Sony released a 300mm F2.8 which is much lighter than the Nikon 300mm F2.8 G lens, any chances Nikon will do the same? And if yes how soon? If not I will have to do with buying the 70–200 F2.8, which will force me into using the DX mode all the time.. not something I’m fond of.

They have not indicated they are developing it, but considering what a staple it was for all brands in both film and DSLR, I am surprised they are not doing anything. Canon has the very useful zoom (100-300) and Sony has the ultra lightweight 300 which is almost (but not quite) enough to make me switch to Sony. If Nikon could make one that is as light as the Sony, I would definitely want it.

old 300 and 500 PF are (very) good reasons for them to not developing Z version of 300/500.
Yes, they are excellent but with everything going to Z mount, selling a new F mount lens is difficult. The 500 PF can be had used for as little as $1250 these days so why would anyone pay full price for a new one? The 300PF can be found for under $800 as well. I don’t see a continuing market for new F mount lenses in the $2-3K price range.

been wondering about nikon's plans for new super teles.

300 F/2.8 replacement
500 F/4 Replacement
180-400 TC Replacement

Would the primes be ultra lightweight w/o a built in TC or cotinue with the tradition of the 400 & 600 TC (about the same weight as previous F lens but with built in TC)? Which you like to see?

Also will there be a stop slower very light weight version (like the 400 F/4.5 and 600 PF)

And finally that bring us to the replacement of the 180-400 TC. Straight replacement or something innovation (such a either a variable TC or step TC - say 1.4 and 1.7) or perhaps 180=560 with 180-400 F/4 and 400+ as F/5.6

WIshful think in down time on my part

Back