400mm 2.8 with Squeaky Auto-focus Motor

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gaknott

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have just purchased a used 400mm f/2.8 D II ED Autofocus IF lens from KEH. It was advertised as Excellent + and did note that it has a squeak in the AF. The image quality is great and the autofocus does squeak some and varies from very noticeable to barely able to hear. I have two questions for anyone with experience or knowledge in this area.

1. Should I be concerned about the squeak? Is it a common problem that is just what it does, or is it a red flag? KEH's reputation seems like a company that would not mark a lens as Excellent+ if it was an issue.

2. There is a tiny, oval 'Nikon USA' sticker next to the filter drawer. Does this indicate it has been in for repair or was maybe refurbished at some time?

Thanks to all. I look forward to your feedback.

Greg

If the squeak is persistent I'd send it back. It's not uncommon for a big prime to squeak a bit if it's been sitting idle for a long time. But it should clear up after running it in and out a couple of times. The squeaking certainly isn't normal. It may last that way for years or it may fail the first time you take it out. Or anything in between. It's a crap shoot.

If the squeak is persistent I'd send it back. It's not uncommon for a big prime to squeak a bit if it's been sitting idle for a long time. But it should clear up after running it in and out a couple of times. The squeaking certainly isn't normal. It may last that way for years or it may fail the first time you take it out. Or anything in between. It's a crap shoot.
Thanks, Dan. It does get better each use but comes back. I suspect this lens has sat idle for a long time as it is an old lens in pristine condition otherwise. I shot a couple hundred frames as a high school football game Thursday night and had no problems. But, I keep hearing that squeak in the back of my mind and wondering if I should send it back while I have the open window to do it. Thanks for the quick reply!

KEH has a liberal return policy. I'd contact them and let them know there is an issue and you are continuing to evaluate it. Make your decision within 30 days or so. An EX+ lens should be silent when focusing.

Squeaking is a sign of a failing focus motor. That's not the only cause of squeaking, but squeaking from lack of use should get better with time. With an older lens, replacement parts are problematic. Replacing a focus motor on a 400mm f/2.8 is probably a $700-750 repair if your shop can find the parts. I had two long lenses repaired by Camera Service Company a couple of years ago for $750 each.

KEH has a liberal return policy. I'd contact them and let them know there is an issue and you are continuing to evaluate it. Make your decision within 30 days or so. An EX+ lens should be silent when focusing.

Squeaking is a sign of a failing focus motor. That's not the only cause of squeaking, but squeaking from lack of use should get better with time. With an older lens, replacement parts are problematic. Replacing a focus motor on a 400mm f/2.8 is probably a $700-750 repair if your shop can find the parts. I had two long lenses repaired by Camera Service Company a couple of years ago for $750 each.
Thank you, Eric. Good advice, I appreciate the response!

I have the same lens and had the silent wave motor and FPC replaced by by Authorized Photo Service for $1,200 in July 2021. The sticker means that it is a US lens, but it no longer matters as Nikon no longer services this lens according to their Melville repair facility. I didn't have a squeak, it just stopped working.

I have the same lens and had the silent wave motor and FPC replaced by by Authorized Photo Service for $1,200 in July 2021. The sticker means that it is a US lens, but it no longer matters as Nikon no longer services this lens according to their Melville repair facility. I didn't have a squeak, it just stopped working.
Thank you, Phil. I appreciate your response.

Back