500mm f4 e fl or 600mm f4 g ed?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,
I own at this stage a D850, a D500 and a 200-500 f5.6. I have been very happy with this lens so far but am ready to go to the next level.
So I am looking at buying a prime tele in the next 2 month. I want to buy it here in Australia to enjoy the second hand marke before to move permanently to the Philippines.
I guess Philippines means a lot of bird photography, and a lot of small birds. But as well some long hikes to get to them.
Being on a limited budget, I am looking at the 500 f4 e fl or the 600mm G ed. My dream will be the 600mm f4 e fl but there is only very few available second hand, and out of my price range.

What will be everyones recommendation out of those 2 lenses.

Thanks

Between the 500E vs 600G, I’d suggest the 500 any day. It is lighter, super sharp, works great with TC1.4III should you need additional reach and will have better service support for years to come. 600G is an incredible lens without doubt but i think its strictly a tripod only lens and i guess it is already end of sale, which means the service options are probably limited. I have used both the 500G and E versions extensively and felt at mid to long distances, the E version has an advantage.

Between the 500E vs 600G, I’d suggest the 500 any day. It is lighter, super sharp, works great with TC1.4III should you need additional reach and will have better service support for years to come. 600G is an incredible lens without doubt but i think its strictly a tripod only lens and i guess it is already end of sale, which means the service options are probably limited. I have used both the 500G and E versions extensively and felt at mid to long distances, the E version has an advantage.
I totally agree with the above. I still have my 500mm E FL alongside the 600mm S TC but that is a whole different beast in specs and price. Between the latest F mount versions do I prefer the 500mm mainly because of the weight.

Yes.

Back