500mm vs 600mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi folks.

My current kit is a Nikon Z8 with a 500pf: However, like many people, I am always on the search for more reach. The simplest (and cheapest) option would be to buy a 1.4TC to use with my 500pf, but I'm also curious about the 180-600. My concern with the latter option is that it's "only" 100mm longer, and still won't give me the equivalent to the 500 + 1.4TC. The upside is that it will be f6.3, rather than a f8. Tbh, I don't need the zoom, so that seems a bit of a waste, but I can't afford the 600pf without selling the 500pf, and even then it's a bit of a stretch to make up the difference.

I live in British Columbia and therefore low light shooting is a consideration, so I'm a little skeptical on how much I would actually use a f8 lens (500 + TC).

My questions are:

1. Is there much benefit going from 500mm to 600mm?
2. Am I right in assuming that the AF of the 600pf would outperform the 500 + TC?
3. If I sold a kidney to replace my 500pf, is the 600pf a worthy replacement?

For reference, my subject matter preferences are fur > feathers, although I love shooting raptors (ospreys, eagles, owls etc). I'm not a birder and don't photograph songbirds, typically.

Sorry for the rambling musings and thanks for looking and input.

I have found myself in situations where the view angle and minimum focus distance of the 500mm PF resulted in my needing to use the 80-400mm lens instead. The gain of 40mm with the 600mm is not going to make for a significantly larger image size and with the Z8 sensor resolution, cropping is not a problem. From 500mm to 600mm results in an image size increase of 44% but that is not the case with a 560mm to 600mm comparison where the gain is only 18%.

For my part I use the 800mmm PF in place of a 600mm with a 1.4x teleconverter and for shorter focal length options I use the 100-400mm with teleconverters to provide a 140-560mm f/8 lens. Having f/8 instead of f/6.3 with the 600mm PF is a trivial gain.

When I was shooting color chrome film with an ISO of 160 a gain of an f-stop or even half an f-stop with the 1.7x TC was important. With digital cameras providing ISO 6400 or greater this is no longer a concern. I only want to have enough light for the camera's autofocus sensors, and now subject recognition to function properly. And for that it has been image magnification that has the greatest impact.

I have had bird subject recognition fail at 300mm focal length and then succeed at 400mm focal length using the 100-400mm zoom lens. I needed to focus my Z9 at 400mm and then switch to 300mm to frame the subject. Easier than manually overriding autofocus with my DSLR cameras.

FWIW, I picked up the 180-600mm when it first came out but ended up returning it and keeping my 500mm PF which I do sometimes use with the 1.4x TC with great results. For me the extra weight and bulk of the 180-600mm and not really needing zoom a lot made the 500mm PF a better choice. I do have a 600mm f/4 that I use tripod mounted for more serious work but for walk around agile wildlife photography it’s hard to beat one of the PF lenses with or without a TC.

Different folks, different needs so that might not apply to you but I chose the 500mm PF with occasional TC use over the 180-600mm even though it’s a great lens.

If you don't value a zoom lens, I would definitely not suggest the 180-600 to you.

It's one of the 4 "big" Nikon Z lenses in my mind... 180-600, 400TC, 600TC, 800PF. The only reason I would use the 180-600 is if I had something where I NEEDED a zoom.

The 500PF should be sharper and significantly lighter. I'd say rent or buy or try the 1.4x on the 500PF, and then reevaluate.

The 600PF is a phenomenal lens, and the lens I suggest everyone who has a 500PF - upgrade to eventually. Only you can decide if it's worth the difference in monetary investment.

It can be a bad habit.. but I always utilize 0% APR credit cards for my gear. Instead of a $4K USD one time purchase for a 600PF, I can pay $4K over 12 or 24 months, turning it into $333 or $167/mo instead. Much easier to swallow.

I guess you have to decide how much the extra reach matters. At 500mm you are 21 feet away to get a 1 by 1.5 foot frame, at 600mm you can be 25 feet away. Or to compare by distance at 50 feet the 600mm gives you a frame 2 feet by 3 feet but with the 500 you get 2.4 by 3.6. Doesn't sound like much, but in practice...

I also live in BC and used the 500 PF plus 1.4TC in on a birding trip to Sir Lanka on my Z9. Sometimes it's hard to describe exactly why a combo doesn't really work for you but overall I didn't like that set up on my Z9. I decided to get the 600PF and love that lens. I've even used it the 1.4 TC and am very pleased with the sharpness. The lens is actually a bit lighter and better balanced than the 500PF with the FTZ adapter. For me, the extra 100mm is noticeable. Here is a photo taken with the 600 PF and TC.
Z9A_6602.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I work closely with someone who went from the 500 to Ihe 600 pf. It gave him better range and allowed him to add a 1.4x tc to the 600 to get into the 800 range.

The 600 improves on the 500 by getting longer range. It is also sharper but the difference is not dramatic.

I personally think a better choice for a second lens would be the 800mm pf.

The problem with the 600mm pf is that if you add the 1.4x tc to get to 800 you drop the max aperture to f9. If you went to the 2x you will be down to f13.

The 800mm pf is sharper at 800 than the 600 with 1.4x tc. In addition you can shoot at f6.3. The 800 tracks really well with autofocus on the Z8/9 and also does an excellent job with background.

It is my experience generally that when you start shooting distance at 600-800mm you are likely to run into atmospheric issues which can rob images of sharpness. I see little practical advantage of shooting longer than 800 in most situations and I rarely use a TC on the 800, I rely instead on cropping or dx to get more range. The 800 is a better lens for that purpose than the 600.

The 500 will cover ranges up to 800mm through cropping or dx mode. If you need 800 the 800 pf is a better lens at this point.

The trade off is the 500 requires a FTZ adapter and is not as well-balanced as the 600mm pf. If you choose to go that direction you could get something for shorter ranges. I personally prefer the 400mm f4.5 for shorter range and it works well with the 800. The other trade off is the 800 is a bigger and heavier lens.

The 600mm pf is a great lens and it could be your sole birding lens. Judging by what I saw my photo buddy do you can do wonderful things with it. If you go that direction then the flexibility of a zoom, either the 100-400 or the `180-600 will be an option as a second lens. I have not personally used either so I cannot comment from personal experience.

At one point I had the 400, 600 and 800. I ended up hardly ever using the 600 because it was only the most effective at 600mm and it rarely got used.

You answered your first question in your second sentence--you are always looking for more reach and the 600 will give you 20% more magnification. Your second and third questions can be answered by Steve's review of the 600 PF.

The 500pf is a superior lens over the 180-600. The 500pf is sharper, with better color and contrast.

The 180-600 has 100m more and the zoom flexibility but it's sure well below the quality of the 500pf.

The only lenses i would consider be an upgrade is the 600pf, 800pf (plus the 2 big boys 400tc and 600tc obviously). I wouldn't call the 180-600 an upgrade and not even a lateral move. The 400f4.5 is no sharper and loses 100mn

Last edited:
Hi folks.

My current kit is a Nikon Z8 with a 500pf: However, like many people, I am always on the search for more reach. The simplest (and cheapest) option would be to buy a 1.4TC to use with my 500pf, but I'm also curious about the 180-600. My concern with the latter option is that it's "only" 100mm longer, and still won't give me the equivalent to the 500 + 1.4TC. The upside is that it will be f6.3, rather than a f8. Tbh, I don't need the zoom, so that seems a bit of a waste, but I can't afford the 600pf without selling the 500pf, and even then it's a bit of a stretch to make up the difference.

I live in British Columbia and therefore low light shooting is a consideration, so I'm a little skeptical on how much I would actually use a f8 lens (500 + TC).

My questions are:

1. Is there much benefit going from 500mm to 600mm?
2. Am I right in assuming that the AF of the 600pf would outperform the 500 + TC?
3. If I sold a kidney to replace my 500pf, is the 600pf a worthy replacement?

For reference, my subject matter preferences are fur > feathers, although I love shooting raptors (ospreys, eagles, owls etc). I'm not a birder and don't photograph songbirds, typically.

Sorry for the rambling musings and thanks for looking and input.

First of all I have to say, I envy you a bit for living in BC. I had the opportunity to travel there ages ago and absolutely loved it.

As always there is no binary answer.

First of all, if you don't need the zooming flexibility, stay with primes as they are always the lighter and faster alternative, usually give the best IQ and are better compatible with TC's. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule and one reason to favour a zoom beside its flexible focal length is that they usually have a much better MFD.

Despite all the modern software tricks available it's still best to get things close to optimal in the first place. Shooting hires (45MP) means being more prone to Hi ISO noise, so your concern about low light shooting is more than valid. It is always good to keep as much headroom as you can in the first place.

On the other hand f8 a is not as much a limitation as it was in DSLR times, where you ended up with something between 1 to 12 or 15 AF sensors left working, when putting an f8 lans combo on the camera. You might still loose a bit of AF speed, but the AF system of the z8 doesn't care too much. So, until you can get something longer and/or faster, I would give it a go with a TC14E II or III. That said, there are statements around claiming that the TC14E III works better with E seriens lenses thand the II. I can't confirm that, because when I started chaging over to mirrorless I had a 500PF myself and used it with the TC14E II without problems. It is more importnt that you get a good copy of either version. Many used TC's that are traded secned hand have suffered and sometimes are damaged in a way that it's difficult to see on images.

Obviousl this is nothing for low light, but - and I apologize for not finding the post instantly - in another thread there was a member posting stunning examples shot with a - believe it or not - TC20E III on the 500PF giving him 1000mm f11 o_O

I use the 180-600 mainly because because it allows for very good agility and flexibility and once I managed to get my second body, it allows me to be prepared for more or less anything with just bodies and two (zoom) lenses. Yes, the 180-600 takes a little dip in resolution at the long end, but it's still o.k. and although it doesn't provide top notch resolution it produces nice images even on a hires sensor. There's a good reason, why even @Steve likes it ;). But if am not moving all the time and work more stationary I always favour using my 500 f4 on a tripod- either solo of with TC. Due to the better AF technologyeven the combo with the TC17E II (which didn't work satisfactoy on DSLR's) works perfect on the Z8.

Q1:
The difference from 500 to 600 is nothing I would worry about, especially because you shoot 45MP and - although not everyone likes it - slight cropping would still be an option, if you don't have the light to put the TC on. Otherwise using one is not an issue with the Z8 AF system.
Q2:
I think @Steve had a comparison somewhere, but he also stated - for good reason - that in the range of top primes - including the 500PF - AF speed differences are overrated and differences can easily compensated by adapting the right procedure. But if I remember right the Z 600 f6.3 is a nit faster than the 500PF adapted.
Q3:
From what you are writing, I would say it is an adequate replacement. Is it worth swapping ? I don't know. As stated before the difference from 500 to 600 is not that much and the difference of 1/3 stop of light shouldn't make a big difference either. The IQ of the 500PF is stlll pretty outstanding. One dfference might be that a an s line lens the 600 has these additional and flexibly configurable control elements on the lens, where as the 500PF is limited to what the F-mount lenses had at the time, and the flexinbility of using their existing buttons is somewhat limited.

If you look for a replacement and you are not afraid of a bit more size and weight a real good thinking-out-of-the-box alternative could be a used 500 f4 FL. COmpared with my dinosaur it is significantly lighter and much less front-heavy which makes it pretty manageable. You gain one full stop of light at 500 mm (good for low light), you have an IQ good enough to easily allow using a TC - and not just the TC14, which gets you to 700mm f5.6 and beyond, and this is a difference that matters. Last but not least you can get really good copies used for much less than a Z 600 6.3.

On the other hand, if you look for a light and agile super tele prime, without having used one I think this lens is hard to beat. Maybe you should take your existing gear, force yourself to shoot f9 all the time and then see what you get an whether you are happy with it after post processing. If the answer is yes the 600 6.3 plus a TC14 could be the way to go, but PLEASE DON't SELL THE KIDNEY FOR IT :D

I re-read your post and realize you are in B. C. I live in Seattle and visit BC frequently we usually stay at Yellow Point Lodge on Vancouver Island near Ladysmith.

If you are not heavily into birds I would leave well enough alone. The 500 is a great lens and will get you what you want. Yes get a tc and do it that way.

I have done a lot of bird shoots around Vancouver Island and of course in Washington State. I observe that birds are often far away and you never have enough reach. Not so however for mammals.

Would appreciate trading tips. I know some great wildlife areas in Washington State.

I currently own the 600pf and it's been a few years since I shot the 500pf, but IIRC...

1) The 500pf + 1.4xTC could produce some pretty funky bokeh at times whereas the 600pf's bokeh is much smoother w/wo the TC, and funky bokeh is a devil to fix in post.
2) The combined "sync" VR combining a Z-body and 600pf is way more effective vs 500pf, which was a weak spot of that lens IMO.

My only other personal comment is that I bought the 600pf because I wanted a Z-based hand-holdable walk-around rig for my wildlife videography hobby, but if Nikon made both the 500pf and 600pf in Z-mounts, I would have had a very difficult time choosing which one ... there are many times when I would have preferred the shorter MFD and wider FOV of a 500mm over the 600mm, but since Nikon doesn't sell a 500z, they made the decision easier for me! I may yet buy the 400/4.5 for that reason.

It's a really tough call and you have to decide the answer for yourself. I have both 500mm f/4 and 600mm f/4 F-Mount lenses, and there have been instances where I had the 600mm and was left wanting the 500mm because the 600mm was too much lens. And yes, times when I had the 500mm and wanted the 600mm.

Either focal length is good, but neither one is the end-all/be-all lens that we seem to seek for ourselves.

@Doomrider74 - re: replace my 500pf, is the 600pf a worthy replacement?

Yes indeed! But strongly agree that the 500pf is also a superior lens. The 600pf is costly but if you get into it you will be pleased. Mine lives on my Z9 camera, often with the 14x. I believe it is overpriced, but (I did not :cry: ) wait and it is on sale at 500 dollars off here in USA often. - Also a wonderful value lens is the 180/600 -

I went out this afternoon and took some quick shots at 500 vs 600 to illustrate the difference.

20240702-DSC_8510-Enhanced-NR.jpg

20240702-DSC_7087-Enhanced-NR.jpg

20240702-DSC_7218-Enhanced-NR.jpg
20240702-DSC_8505-Enhanced-NR.jpg
20240702-DSC_7090-Enhanced-NR.jpg

20240702-DSC_7222-Enhanced-NR.jpg

For what it's worth to your own thought process, I'm a current owner of the Z8 along with both the 500pf and the 180-600 and have been essentially giving both lenses an extended test drive with the intent to sell one of them. There are a lot of things I like about the 180-600:

1) The extra 100mm is nice even if I don't consider it especially significant most of the time.
2) It's nice to be able to zoom to shorter focal lengths, obviously to get shots of animals when they move closer but also because if I go out one day and there isn't much "traditional" wildlife to photograph I can always find some insects or butterflies or something with the 180-600 at a shorter focal length.
3) The AF isn't exactly faster than the 500pf, but it feels much smoother. I also find it's comparative slowness to, ironically, help with focus acquisition on certain sorts of targets where the 500pf seems some times to essentially go too fast so that it skips past them.

For all these reasons, I want to keep it, even if I know it's not quite as good as the 500pf (obviously). I'm willing to accept slightly worse performance/sharpness for all of those benefits.

Then there is one big thing I don't like about the 180-600: I'm consistently disappointed in its sharpness.

I don't mean that I'm disappointed that it's not as sharp as a $15,000 lens, or even a $3500 one like the 500pf. I mean that too often I take a photo and it's just way too soft, even compared to my old 200-500.

I'll now say something that might sound like it contradicts what I just said: I'm not always disappointed with its sharpness. There are times I will get a photo from it and be pretty impressed, and this is a big part of the reason it's been several months and I am still undecided. It's more like I'll go out with both lenses and take some comparison shots and then get home and there are a few from the 180-600 that make me very happy and so I'll decide maybe I was wrong about it in previously thinking it was too often not sharp. So, I'll take it out a few times to confirm and get mostly shots that I find just... very soft and lacking detail. I'll then wonder about whether maybe it was just atmospheric distortion or something else that wasn't the lens' fault until I take the two lenses out again and the cycle repeats.

It's not that the 500pf never gives disappointing results during these same stretches. Atmospherics are real. Plenty of other factors can lead to soft results, too. It's rather that on balance and overall, I much more consistently get photos from the 500pf that I'd consider acceptable sharpness and with the 180-600 I more consistently get those that I would consider unacceptable. The good shots from the 500pf are obviously better than the good ones from the 180-600 - it is a better lens, after all! - but that is, again, something I can easily accept. The issue is how often I get bad shots, which is far more often from the 180.

I went out this afternoon and took some quick shots at 500 vs 600 to illustrate the difference.

For what it's worth to your own thought process, I'm a current owner of the Z8 along with both the 500pf and the 180-600 and have been essentially giving both lenses an extended test drive with the intent to sell one of them. There are a lot of things I like about the 180-600:

1) The extra 100mm is nice even if I don't consider it especially significant most of the time.
2) It's nice to be able to zoom to shorter focal lengths, obviously to get shots of animals when they move closer but also because if I go out one day and there isn't much "traditional" wildlife to photograph I can always find some insects or butterflies or something with the 180-600 at a shorter focal length.
3) The AF isn't exactly faster than the 500pf, but it feels much smoother. I also find it's comparative slowness to, ironically, help with focus acquisition on certain sorts of targets where the 500pf seems some times to essentially go too fast so that it skips past them.

For all these reasons, I want to keep it, even if I know it's not quite as good as the 500pf (obviously). I'm willing to accept slightly worse performance/sharpness for all of those benefits.

Then there is one big thing I don't like about the 180-600: I'm consistently disappointed in its sharpness.

I don't mean that I'm disappointed that it's not as sharp as a $15,000 lens, or even a $3500 one like the 500pf. I mean that too often I take a photo and it's just way too soft, even compared to my old 200-500.

I'll now say something that might sound like it contradicts what I just said: I'm not always disappointed with its sharpness. There are times I will get a photo from it and be pretty impressed, and this is a big part of the reason it's been several months and I am still undecided. It's more like I'll go out with both lenses and take some comparison shots and then get home and there are a few from the 180-600 that make me very happy and so I'll decide maybe I was wrong about it in previously thinking it was too often not sharp. So, I'll take it out a few times to confirm and get mostly shots that I find just... very soft and lacking detail. I'll then wonder about whether maybe it was just atmospheric distortion or something else that wasn't the lens' fault until I take the two lenses out again and the cycle repeats.

It's not that the 500pf never gives disappointing results during these same stretches. Atmospherics are real. Plenty of other factors can lead to soft results, too. It's rather that on balance and overall, I much more consistently get photos from the 500pf that I'd consider acceptable sharpness and with the 180-600 I more consistently get those that I would consider unacceptable. The good shots from the 500pf are obviously better than the good ones from the 180-600 - it is a better lens, after all! - but that is, again, something I can easily accept. The issue is how often I get bad shots, which is far more often from the 180.
Thank you for doing that, and all your comments. It's much appreciated.

I have a 500 PF which is staying for solid reasons. Although I've no experience of the 600 PF, it's hard to justify at its cost and considering the 500 PF..... A common dilemma.

Nonetheless, it's often very useful to leverage VR for wildlife subjects in lowlight conditions. I find this using a Z Telephoto on a Z9, compared against the extremely capable F System close equivalents. The 800 PF on the Z9 continues to surprise me at the slow shutter speeds one can capture obliging subjects :)

Synchronized Camera-Lens IBIS can be very useful indeed

Thanks for sharing this link.It just provides additional confirmation for what has been stated in another thread.

That said, one of the interesting questions is also how the older F-mount VR tele lenses work with a Z, and whether there are things to pay attention about.
I recently had my 500f 4 G at Nikon for maintenance. They found the VR unit was out of tolerance and thus the lens was producing softer images - alsao with VR switched off.
As one of the potential reasons they strongly recommended to swiich off VR on the lens for these older models before switching the Z camera off !
Until now, I haven't found additional details about it, but it is certainy something to investigate further.

Back