512 GB CFExpress for Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

msuengben

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am wanting to go with bigger capacity cards (currently using 128 GB) in both my Nikon Z9s. I am wanting a fast card that can handle stills and video. Will need 4 and don’t want to break the bank but don’t want to go cheap. I’m considering the Prograde Gold 4.0. This a good one? Can get them from Samy’s for $170.00 each. I’m willing to spend a little more if there is something better. Appreciate any help.

If I were buying, I would consider the ProGrade Gold or Iridium (or whatever they call it!). The Z9 canNOT totally utilize the card's speed at this point in time, but it would mean that you cards would be ready for the next jump in CFe performance.......

Try to compare sustained write speeds.......and whether or not the cards you consider run hot. The Delkin Black are a step above the Delkin Power and many folks have and like the Blacks.

I purchased a Prograde Gold 4.0 512GB card for use in my Z9. It doesn't test in camera as fast as my Delkin Black 325GG, my ProGrade Cobalt 165GB, or even my Angelbird AV Pro SX 160GB card. In practical use I don't really see any difference. I have yet to shoot much video with it and that was my reason for purchasing it.

I purchased the card directly from Prograde for $145 including shipping. They were having a sale, I put the card in my shopping cart but couldn't make up my mind. The next day they offered me and additional "Abandoned Cart" (I am using this trick more and more) discount and offered free shipping. That made up my mind!

I have two 650GB “ProGrade Digital CFexpress™ Type B 2.0 Memory Card (Cobalt) 1700” assigned to my Z 9 and they perform quite well. No issues whatsoever e.g. fast, reliable and no overheating.

Dont get wrapped up on speed to much, what is important is reliability. The Delkin Black or Green series are superb, the later being more affordable but perfiomace is reduced at capacities less than 650GB) or ProGrade Digital Cobalt series or Gold. Nearly all new cards will support high frame rates. Stick to non brands, personally I would avoid SanDisk and Angelbird due to long term reliability and variances in the card size problems

I have no experience with Angelbird! Anyone knows the differences between SE and SX - they both seem to offer 1785 write - and has experience with the quality?

I had a failure with one of mine, and the cards tend to be a fraction bigger as well (meaning its a tight fit into the camera) other people milage may vary, but I am sticking to Delkin and ProGrade

I have no experience with Angelbird! Anyone knows the differences between SE and SX - they both seem to offer 1785 write - and has experience with the quality?
My cards have been fine for the entire time I've had the z9 (year and a half).

based on their website, sx seem to have higher sustained write

Back