600mm f4 - Is anybody using Circular Polarizer?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

VStammer

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I currently have the Nikon 600mm f4 AFS (version 1) and previously I also had the same in the 500mm. At some point a while back I was able to purchase a used drop in circular polarizing filter. I used it briefly on the 500mm, and had tried it at first on the 600mm but had removed it and switched back to the clear glass drop in. From what I recall it seemed like I was loosing light by using it, especially in low light bird photos.
I am not aware as to whether or not the newer versions of these lens still have this option, but was curious if others have experience with using one on these long prime lens?

I use one from time to time if there's a lot of reflection on the water / vegetation (and I think of it LOL). However, like you say, you kiss two stops of light goodbye. Turns ISO 1600 into 6400 pretty quick LOL! Still, there are times I'll use it.

I am not aware as to whether or not the newer versions of these lens still have this option, but was curious if others have experience with using one on these long prime lens?
The new Nikon long lenses still support a drop in filter holder that can accept a circular polarizer. Personally I get very little use out of mine. It can certainly help in any image where there are a lot of micro reflections sapping your contrast and color whether that's reflections off of water or sometimes right off of fur. The problem is you need a lot of things to happen to be able to use one effectively:

- The scene has to call for a polarizer so an animal or scene where those micro reflections are degrading your image. You can often tell this by looking through your own polarized sunglasses and then removing them to see how much the slant polarization of your sunglasses help.

- The subject has to be fairly stationary and willing to wait while you fish out the circpol and swap the drop in filters

- You need enough light to allow you lose up to 2 stops compared to shooting without the polarizer. Exactly how much depends on your adjustment of the polarizer.

But some shots really scream for it like a scene that includes wet autumn foliage where the polarizer can cut the sheen and bring back the rich colors. Or shots through water where the polarizer can cut the sheen off the water to let you see fish or other things under water or even sometimes with wet dewy fur or feathers where the polarizer can again cut down on the reflected sheen and let you see more color and detail than without it.

Yep, just what I thought. I just couldn't remember the number of stops of light that you give up when using it. Thanks for the replies and info!

Back