79-year-old US tourist killed by bull elephant while on Zambian safari

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I know lot of photographers here go to Africa frequently for wildlife photography.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/79-year-old-us-tourist-killed-bull-elephant-zambian-safari

A tourist from the United States was killed by a bull elephant last week during an African safari.

Gail Mattson, 79, died Saturday after being attacked at the Kafue National Park in Zambia. Mattson was one member of a six-person safari group that was participating in a game drive that day organized by safari company Wilderness.

"At around 09h30 on Saturday the six guests were on the game drive when the vehicle was unexpectedly charged by the bull elephant," said Wilderness' chief executive officer.

I just read a piece on this. Don't know the beginning but the article said the jeep was attempting to drive away at around 25 miles per hour with the bull elephant on the charge following alongside but the jeep came to a stop due to brush and the elephant picked up the vehicle with a tusk and dumped it over. I wonder that it does not happen more often given how we intrude on them every day of their lives. I've been to Africa twice and have seen and experienced this. Perhaps that elephant that day had had enough. It's a risk we take when around wild animals.

Read it also earlier and so sad. Elephants are the most easiest to read of those big 5 animals but there can be several reasons why an elephant goes on charge:
- the bull is in musth
- the herd is with calfs
- drive aggressively towards an elephant
- past experiences with certain vehicles, encounter with humans, helicopters, ....

Here an incident with elephant (nobody got injured, just some were in a need of new underwear). It happened during a drive with trainees and you can clearly see that the driver made the mistake to drive pretty fast literally towards the elephant. The elephant did charge and wrecked the car (ECO training school)
I have seen elephants that were getting spooked by regular cars and not with a proper open safari vehicle, I have seen elephants reacting badly towards a Land Rover safari vehicle and not to a Land Cruiser and vice versa. A few years back did another deadly incident happen in South Africa where there was an elephant on a dirt road. The vehicle approached, did see the elephant too late around the corner and the same thing happened, it spooked the elephant and the elephant charged and flipped over the car that tumbled down a few meters towards the river.
An incident can have reasons and speculations from our side are just that, speculations.

Last edited:
I know lot of photographers here go to Africa frequently for wildlife photography.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/79-year-old-us-tourist-killed-bull-elephant-zambian-safari

A tourist from the United States was killed by a bull elephant last week during an African safari.

Gail Mattson, 79, died Saturday after being attacked at the Kafue National Park in Zambia. Mattson was one member of a six-person safari group that was participating in a game drive that day organized by safari company Wilderness.

"At around 09h30 on Saturday the six guests were on the game drive when the vehicle was unexpectedly charged by the bull elephant," said Wilderness' chief executive officer.
A really unfortunate tragedy for sure, but I too am not surprised that it doesn’t happen more frequently there. While I’ve never been, I’ve seen videos of safari vehicles crowded around animals, similar to what I see sometimes in Yellowstone. If I were in the animal’s hooves/paws (shoes), I think I’d charge too. 😡

I have had "close calls" with brown bears in Alaska (got between a mom and her two cubs when they ran behind me), a moose in Alaska (walked right by me), a mountain lion in Patagonia (came out of some tall grasses a couple yards from me), a rhino (our jeep was going fast to follow a leopard and it rounded a corner and almost hit a rhino standing in the roadway) as well as an elephant in Africa (it came right to my tent one night and was sniffing me with his trunk and could see the silhouette right next to me of his trunk. However, maybe naively, I feel more fear driving on our local highways to a photo site with all the crazies on the road.

However, maybe naively, I feel more fear driving on our local highways to a photo site with all the crazies on the road.
roads are no joke, we are just numb to it. i was recently on a jury pool on an auto injury case thus questioned about auto accidents we or someone near us were in. a very large number of people or those close to them had been in accidents with injuries and a fair number were close to people who had died in an auto accident

The story claimed to have a link to video footage shot but it didn’t come up for me.
In terms of roads here I have given up my road bike in AZ and would rather ride in the desert with the rattlesnakes. We have streets with 50MPH limits that people regularly go 60-65 on if they can. No thanks.

Reactions: seh
The story claimed to have a link to video footage shot but it didn’t come up for me.
In terms of roads here I have given up my road bike in AZ and would rather ride in the desert with the rattlesnakes. We have streets with 50MPH limits that people regularly go 60-65 on if they can. No thanks.

I stopped road biking about 15 years ago. Not because of the danger of other drivers, although that was present for sure, but because I kept picking up flats every ride from road debris.

One thing that I think hasn't been mentioned was where this attack took place. This happened in Kafue National Park, one of the more remote and off the beaten path safari destinations. I've always found the elephants in areas like this to be much more aggressive and on edge. I've been charged regularly in situations exactly like this. But in places like Amboseli or the Serengeti the elephants are much more relaxed around people. I think this is something that many safari goers don't consider when booking a trip, but the more remote that you go the more wild the animals are. It's a tragic situation overall, but there's a lesson to be learned here and I wish more people knew the risks better of where they're going.

One thing that I think hasn't been mentioned was where this attack took place. This happened in Kafue National Park, one of the more remote and off the beaten path safari destinations. I've always found the elephants in areas like this to be much more aggressive and on edge. I've been charged regularly in situations exactly like this. But in places like Amboseli or the Serengeti the elephants are much more relaxed around people. I think this is something that many safari goers don't consider when booking a trip, but the more remote that you go the more wild the animals are. It's a tragic situation overall, but there's a lesson to be learned here and I wish more people knew the risks better of where they're going.
Not sure how remote this is, the Kafue National Park is a common destination these days. And the last "viral" elephant attack occurred in Sabi Sands at Selati Game Reserve:

A real tragedy with no winners and since I have no knowledge of what caused the incident I will not speculate on whether or not it could have been avoided. In this specific case I do not know if there was any fault on the part of the driver.

What I do know is it can happen (drivers being irresponsible). I have a friend (with a PhD in ecology who heads a small nonprofit conservation organization) who was leading a wildlife trip in India. They had booked two days on a jeep safari in a national park but cancelled the second day because the drivers were intentionally driving too close to the elephants and causing them to react. When they told the driver to back off he said this is what guests want to see.

The potential litigation from the deceased person's family (or any other guests in the vehicle) is also a nightmare for the tour company and one reason to reconsider if you want to be a tour leader. Though not specifically mentioning litigation, @Steve did mention he is cutting back on tours due to the stress involved: see post four here https://bcgforums.com/threads/what-are-you-expectation-when-a-tour-leader-has-problems.27052/ My same friend mentioned above wants me to start leading wildlife tours for his organization but this is one of my concerns. Even if I hire a driver instead of driving guests myself (since a professional driver will have liability insurance), what if he gets in an accident and someone is seriously injured or killed? They could still sue me and/or the organization.

Just like with any industry is also the safari industry under stress, even more so post covid. Many guides left the industry and (some) camps just lowered their standards on guides. You have also the stress of guests that wanna be thrilled and not just see a strolling elephant as that is too lame. Some guides also do tricks to interact with animals so they can brag to the guests and hope to be rewarded with a nice tip. In fairness, if there are cowboys in the private concessions in the Greater Kruger will it not take long before this person is reported to the warden.
I did deliberately not went to Kenia or Tanzania for witnessing the great migration but seen footage and that is simply insane, this has nothing to do anymore with animal conservation but all about a Ferrari safari, literally a race towards the best spots.

The Kafue is a huge park with very few visitors compared to Kruger NP is SA,. As a result the animals are skittish but what compounds the issue is illegal poaching.
Other animals would run the opposite direction but an elephant with not so good memories of being hunted would in most cases turn on people on foot or even vehicles.

Even a bull in musth would be a dangerous customer thus when encountering elephants the driver should ensure safe distance and he must be able to outdrive the storming bull.
In this case the guy seems to have slowed at some point, was it for videos or did he at that point realise the road ahead is blocked ... its a dead end and he is out of runway!

The result is tragic with the death of the lady and other injured persons. Spare a thought for the elephant bull, he will in all likely hood be "executed" without a "hearing".

Last edited:
The Kafue is a huge park with very few visitors compared to Kruger NP is SA,. As a result the animals are skittish but what compounds the issue is illegal poaching…..
In this case the guy seems to have slowed at some point, was it for videos or did he at that point realise the road ahead is blocked ... its a dead end and he is out of runway!
News reports said he had no where to go.

……….

The potential litigation from the deceased person's family (or any other guests in the vehicle) is also a nightmare for the tour company and one reason to reconsider if you want to be a tour leader. ….My same friend mentioned above wants me to start leading wildlife tours for his organization but this is one of my concerns. Even if I hire a driver instead of driving guests myself (since a professional driver will have liability insurance), what if he gets in an accident and someone is seriously injured or killed? They could still sue me and/or the organization.
As for the litigation mentioned, I think everyone signs waivers now. The countries protect the tourism. That’s why it’s so hard to sue a ski resort. I don’t know about Africa but I think it will hard to sue.

Not having seen a video of what happened, I won't try to speculate.
Here's what I do know about elephants in general:
I don't believe they generally see humans as a threat in the wild. The exception may be in areas where they have started to associate humans with poaching.

The first time I saw dangerous interactions between an elephant and humans was in Savuti Game Reserve in Botswana in 1981. The place was relatively undeveloped and everyone there was in their own vehicle. The only solid structure in the camp was the ablution building with toilets and showers. Accommodation was whatever tent everyone brought with. No running water outside the ablution building, and no electricity. When we arrived and set up camp there was a lone bull elephant wandering around the campsite, which was not fenced. People kept approaching the animal on foot, and it would charge at them every time. Fortunately no-one was hurt. By day two or three in that camp, I was standing under a large tree chatting with my father and another camper at dusk. It was turning darker while we stood there. At one point I looked around and got quite the shock to see the same elephant had approached to within about 15 feet from us as it was grazing on seed pods from the tree we were standing underneath. We froze, and the elephant quite calmly ambled by while grazing until it was a safe distance away before we moved again.

I went on a catered safari in in a private game reserve in South Africa in 2016, and then again at the same place in 2019. We had many conversations with the guides around the camp fire in the evenings, when we specifically discussed ways in which to deal with elephants in the wild. I learned a few things from these well-trained guys; the elephants share the same space with all other animals in the same park, be they predators or antelopes. All the animals just go their own way and do their own thing. Usually when different animals are on a collision course they just divert and go around one another. Most of these animals see vehicles as just another "animal" or "thing" that moves around the bush as well and they mostly ignore vehicles the same way they ignore other animals. The guides also believe that animals typically don't associate vehicles with humans, so when an elephant attacks a vehicle, it's the vehicle that it regards as a threat rather than the human occupants. When we were on game drives in that game reserve and we saw a herd of elephants moving along, grazing as they went, the guides would sometimes drive around the herd at a safe distance and then park the vehicle in the way of the approaching herd. As they came closer they would just move around the stationary vehicle and carry on. This behaviour was similar to what I experienced under the tree in Savuti.

Pulling together these different experiences I believe (and I see the same thing when I photograph wild animals and birds anywhere else) that wild animals are very wary and skittish when approached by humans. Birds and smaller animals skedaddle when we approach too close. On the other hand, when we are stationary, the animals can decide for themselves whether they want to approach humans, and how close they are comfortable coming. If you approach an elephant too closely with a vehicle, you're taking a very big risk. And the problem is that none of us knows how close the animal will allow us to come before it acts. Better to allow the animal its space and have it decide how close it wants to approach. Yes, there could be exceptions to this, but I guess it's probably 80% common sense and 20% luck when things don't go wrong.

There's been much discussion here locally among those embedded in the wildlife industry. Important factors in this elephant incident include:

> the Busanga Plains are situated at the northern end of Kafue NP along the seasonally flooding Lufupa river. I was last there 20 years on a rewarding research trip before the big tourism developments. It's since become a popular and expensive destination - hence Wilderness safaris being a high profile operator there. Wild animals are regularly exposed to human encounters, including in cars and walking

> The Kasonso-Busanga Game Management Area to the north suffers heavy poaching, and also has resident rural people, who are very poor and rely on subsistence agriculture (and local wild products) and if they are lucky a bread winner working far away. Elephants move across the larger landscape, which expose them to negative experiences with humans. Bulls in particular range widely, which includes raiding seasonal crops outside the National Park;

> Judging from video footage of the attack, we agree the elephant bull was in musth and so unusually aggressive. This diagnosis includes the conclusion of two experienced Pro guides/hunters with decades of elephant experience, and concurs with my own encounters with countless elephants on foot and in cars. One can spot a musth bull far off from its body language, long before the obvious signs of temporal gland discharge etc are discernable. Typically, it's the sudden close up encounters when the proverbial cr@p hits the fan with a musth bull!

> The pragmatic solution in such encounters with any aggressive elephant is discretion, especially on foot even if one is adequately armed. If in a vehicle evade and drive away swiftly. However, it appears the guide was driving off road, which hampered a hasty evasion - termitaria and/or vegetation blocked the escape route. Trying to dissuade a musth bull by shouting etc typically fails if one is stationary in such a situation. In this particular incident that had escalated badly, it is clear the only solution was a frontal brain shot with a heavy caliber rifle by an experienced guide.

Off road driving in African parks is a conservation menace. It has countless negative impacts (eg ground nesting birds, the invertebrate and herpeto-faunas, soil compaction etc). This includes driving up to dens of large cats or wild dogs with young; besides stress this increases the risks that lion and spotted hyaena follow up in curiosity, with negative consequences. Off road driving should be banned and penalized with hefty convictions and termination of the operator's licence.

Last edited:
Off road driving in African parks is a conservation menace. It has countless negative impacts (eg ground nesting birds, the invertebrate and herpeto-faunas, soil compaction etc). This includes driving up to dens of large cats or wild dogs with young; besides stress this increases the risks that lion and spotted hyaena follow up in curiosity, with negative consequences. Off road driving should be banned and penalized with hefty convictions and termination of the operator's licence.
Makes sense to institute such a rule for national parks. Would it be feasible, though, to try to enforce that on the many private game reserves all over Africa?

It should be feasible in national protected areas with leased concessions, but private reserves are indeed challenging.
The exclusive reserves are mostly in SAfrica. They sell themselves with exorbitant rates on tracking off road and tight encounters, let alone the deluxe accommodation.
The exclusive camps in Botswana, and some in Zambia also, follow a similar model, but concessions on long term leases.

A really unfortunate tragedy for sure, but I too am not surprised that it doesn’t happen more frequently there. While I’ve never been, I’ve seen videos of safari vehicles crowded around animals, similar to what I see sometimes in Yellowstone. If I were in the animal’s hooves/paws (shoes), I think I’d charge too. 😡
It should be feasible in national protected areas with leased concessions, but private reserves are indeed challenging.
The exclusive reserves are mostly in SAfrica. They sell themselves with exorbitant rates on tracking off road and tight encounters, let alone the deluxe accommodation.
The exclusive camps in Botswana, and some in Zambia also, follow a similar model, but concessions on long term leases.

Wilderness (formerly Wilderness Safaris) operates on private concessions in Zambia and in most other places in which they operate safari camps. My safaris over a nearly 25 year period have most often been in Wilderness camps and we have always had well-trained guides. The informal rule that the guides follow even in private concessions is that there will be no more than 3 vehicles at a sighting. This contrasts with the free for all situation in east Africa where I've seen more than 20 vehicles at a sighting, and more than 100 at the Mara River crossings during the migration season.

We go to Africa frequently and on our last trip we were reminded that in spite of how close the wildlife gets and how docile they may appear, they are still very much Wild Animals and they can be very unpredictable. A Hippo reminded us of that as it rammed us and took a big bite out of or vehicle. Luckily no one was hurt except the vehicle.

currently on my 7th safari when i heard this. very sad. Never had a dangerous encounter. animals are wild and sometimes unpredictable. you rely on your guides knowledge and awareness. that is more important than anything else. my rule of thumb is to watch the guide and or tracker. if they are not concerned, all is usually ok.

Back