800pf...learning curve.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi All,
I finally took the plunge and have been enjoying my new 800pf for a couple of weeks now. My previous wildlife rig has been a D500 with 500pf (effective 750mm focal length), so I assumed the shooting experience would be somewhat similar, but so far it hasn't been the case!
I am finding that my 800pf shots are just not as consistent as my old 500 rig. I want to chalk this up to my inexperience with the lens, and the fact that I am shooting it with a Z6ii. Now, when it nails focus, the results are VERY good, but there are times when it's just missing focus, and I can't reason why. I'd like to believe that when I upgrade to a Z8, this will solve the AF issues.
Has anyone else experienced marginal results with the Z6ii/800pf combo?
Here's a few of my favorites so far...
backcountryeagle.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
backcountryowl.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Another odd thing I've noticed is that it actually shoots better from a tripod with VR on. I took a burst (5fps) with VR off and the images were distorted, but when I engaged the VR, they were fine. Kinda weird.

1/200 and 1/250th mostly.
That certainly explains why VR helped even when shooting on the tripod.

FWIW, in the later generations of VR and especially with the newest Z lenses and cameras I rarely take my cameras/lenses out of Sport VR mode. When I do shoot shutter speeds as low as what you posted (which is pretty rare for an 800mm lens unless the subject is very still like an owl and light levels are very low) VR really helps even on a tripod.

That certainly explains why VR helped even when shooting on the tripod.

FWIW, in the later generations of VR and especially with the newest Z lenses and cameras I rarely take my cameras/lenses out of Sport VR mode. When I do shoot shutter speeds as low as what you posted (which is pretty rare for an 800mm lens unless the subject is very still like an owl and light levels are very low) VR really helps even on a tripod.
Thank you, I will try VR sport mode as well! The distortion effect almost reminded me of a rolling shutter, which I've read can happen in silent shooting mode (which I was using). But again, no issues with VR engaged.

Nice shots.

I've mostly used my Z 800 mm PF with a Z9 and a Z7II. I now also have a Z8, but have not tried it with the 800 mm PF yet.

I've had good results with the 800 mm PF on both the Z9 and Z7II. Both handheld and on a tripod. Of course, the AF for wildlife (particularly wildlife that is moving) is much better on the Z9. I also find that the 800 mm PF balances better for me with the Z9 than with the Z7II. I expect that the Z8 will fall somewhere in the middle, but be very usable.

One thing I have found is that when I first get a heavier lens, it often seems to take a while for me to get used to using it handheld. And in that period, my shots are not all as good as they later are. I first noticed that when I bought an F mount 200-500 mm some years back.

Before I got the 800 mm PF, I was generally using an F mount 500 mm PF with or without a TC. The 800 mm PF is both heavier and physically larger than the 500 mm PF. So again, I felt there was a period of getting used to using it handheld. I also use it on a tripod and like that too.

When handholding, I generally use faster shutter speeds than you mentioned, depending on the light. In good light, usually 1/1600th or faster (and maybe 1/2500 or faster for BIF). Maybe 1/800 to 1/1250th in lower light. And slower if I need to with a stationary subject, but then I tend to shoot bursts figuring that increases the likelihood that one or more shots will be sharp. I generally use Sport VR. And often forget to turn it off on a tripod.

It's a great lens. Keep at it.

I too notice better results with the VR on. If you open images in Nikon software, there is an option to check exactly where the focus point was. I find that when my images a just a bit soft its usually because the focus point isn't where it should be. Much as it pains me to admit this...it's usually my fault. That was not cathartic.

Back