A few random bird shots from the weekend.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ductape

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just a few shots from the weekend. Curious on your thoughts. I am comfortable with criticism. Really trying to improve my skills. All shots edited in LR.

I am blessed to have a few long lens choices. and today I happened to grab my 300 2.8 with a TC2III on it. I could have also grabbed the 500pf but I knew the stroll would be slow and I love the 300 with the ability to add a 1.4 or 2.0 TC. The walk was a new area and in hindsight, I would have took my 600 f4G and a monopod for the 2.5 hour three or so mile stroll (I share this because I believe the right lens for the event makes a difference).

Red winged blackbird. I loved the light on this shot.

DSC_6073.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The Heron posed for a good 10 minutes and I took way too many shots. I picked this one because I thought the bird looked like an extension of the tree (totem pole). Like most of us, I have a lot of heron shots, but thought this one was unique enough to keep. I wish it had a more balanced tree sky, and I did walk around the bird a bit, but this is where I was when this pose happened.

DSC_6330.jpg

The quail are everywhere around here right now. I like the clarity of this shot.

DSC_5834.jpg

Just a candid shot of my partner in crime.

DSC_6116.jpg

Looks like you had a good day.
#1 Always tough for me to shoot black or black faced birds like this. Yes, the light is interesting on the shoulder patches of this bird, but the eye disappears into the shadow of his head. Maybe applying local brightness adjustment to the eye might help.
#2 Probably could have improved this with either a different crop, less lens, or different composition in camera. Looks odd with the bird at the very top of shot.
#3 Love this shot. You are correct-the feather detail is great. His neck almost looks sparkling.
#4 Always nice to share a day and interest with your partner. Good choice to not only take the shot, but to post it too.

Back