If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KCPhoto

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I FINALLY got lucky enough to take images of a Pileated Woodpecker!

As I headed out exploring in the snowy woods today, I realized what a much needed reset it was given what 2020 had to offer. The woods were incredibly peaceful. The absence of any breeze, gave way to pure silence at times. What started out as not fruitful photography-wise, certainly ended with a bang. After about an hour just sitting on a ledge by the edge of the lake watching juvenile Bald Eagle skirmishes, I decided it was time to head back into town. As I was packing up my camera gear I saw what I thought was possibly a Belted Kingfisher heading across the cove. With a quick zoom of my lens, I realized it was this beautiful Pileated Woodpecker, and it was headed straight in my direction. It was almost immediately joined by another. Needless to say, I had to hang out with them for a while. They were really fun to watch as they went about their bug hunt through the bark.
D500, 200-500mm ISO 1600
#pileatedwoodpecker
IMG_20210102_220625_810.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I FINALLY got lucky enough to take images of a Pileated Woodpecker!

As I headed out exploring in the snowy woods today, I realized what a much needed reset it was given what 2020 had to offer. The woods were incredibly peaceful. The absence of any breeze, gave way to pure silence at times. What started out as not fruitful photography-wise, certainly ended with a bang. After about an hour just sitting on a ledge by the edge of the lake watching juvenile Bald Eagle skirmishes, I decided it was time to head back into town. As I was packing up my camera gear I saw what I thought was possibly a Belted Kingfisher heading across the cove. With a quick zoom of my lens, I realized it was this beautiful Pileated Woodpecker, and it was headed straight in my direction. It was almost immediately joined by another. Needless to say, I had to hang out with them for a while. They were really fun to watch as they went about their bug hunt through the bark.
D500, 200-500mm ISO 1600
#pileatedwoodpeckerView attachment 12647
Beautiful capture! Nice going! That guy is at the top of my wish list.

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I was super excited to see him and the other. I see the forum has made him look somewhat over sharpened or something. I am going to have to figure that out. I see so many wonderful images from you folks and you deal with the same size constraints.