A Juvenile Peregrine Falcon Homes in on a Piece of Food Dropped by its Father.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Ok, I am still posting images taken at a Peregrine Falcon nest near my home. The juveniles have fledged and have started training to catch prey in flight. As part of the training, one of the parents will fly into the nest area with prey. The juveniles will take off and chase the parent. The parent then drops the prey, and the fastest juvenile grabs the prey out of the air. In this instance, the father falcon has flown in after consuming most of a bird. This was one of those "I caught it out of the corner of my eye, turned, and started shooting" situations. As a juvenile flew in, the father dropped the piece of prey. The photo shows the concentration of his offspring as she reaches out to grab the food with her talons. This was the first sharp image of the series; the action was so fast that I wondered if an exchange had actually happened and was only sure when I looked at the photo on my computer at home. I know the adult is the male, because he is banded and his partner is not. I believe that the chick is a female, as she already looks bigger than her dad! I have a few more peregrine images to post, then I will return to other species.
Z91_9803-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back