A Lilac-crowned Parrot is caught with my camera in mid-flight.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
As any of you that have been looking at my posts in this forum may have noticed, I am a parrot fanatic. Wild parrots are my favorite wildlife photographic target. My wife and I recently made a very quick trip to Mexico with the single goal of seeing Military Macaws to photograph. I know this seems a bit crazy, to make a trip to see one parrot, but I have seen 86 wild parrot species and am getting to the point where I have to travel farther and farther to see new ones. This was one I had not seen that was still a relatively short trip, so off we went. While we were successful in seeing and photographing the macaws, we had the bonus of also seeing some Lilac-crowned Parrots. As a disclaimer, this particular bird was a bird at a rehabilitation center that accepted parrots with the goal of re-introcducing them into the wild. Thus, this bird was free flying, but well habituated to humans. Usually, one sees these parrots as a group flying past high in the sky, so I decided that it was alright to photograph this bird, as I am not sure that I will ever have an opportunity to get this close to one again. This photo was taken in early morning light.
Z92_1603-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
These parrots are listed as Endangered on the IUCN Red List due to the two most common problems affecting wild parrot populations, habitat loss and poaching for the pet trade.
Nikon Z 9, Nikon Z 600mm F/4 TC, 1/8000 second @f/4.0, ISO1250, -1.4 ev.

Last edited:
Great capture! There is a feral population of these birds, as well as Red-crowned Parrots, ranging free in Orange County CA. I see both frequently at moderately close range in several of the county and state parks in the area. They are easy to locate because, as you know, in a group, they are quite vocal.

Great capture! There is a feral population of these birds, as well as Red-crowned Parrots, ranging free in Orange County CA. I see both frequently at moderately close range in several of the county and state parks in the area. They are easy to locate because, as you know, in a group, they are quite vocal.
Thank you, Jim! I understand some unfortunate interbreeding is going on there.

As any of you have been looking at my posts in this forum my have noticed, I am a parrot fanatic. Wild parrots are my favorite wildlife photographic target. My wife and I recently made a very quick trip to Mexico with the single goal of seeing Military Macaws to photograph. I know this seems a bit crazy, to make a trip to see one parrot, but I have seen 86 wild parrot species and am getting to the point where I have to travel farther and farther to see new ones. This was one I had not seen that was still a relatively short trip, so off we went. While we were successful in seeing and photographing the macaws, we had the bonus of also seeing some Lilac-crowned Parrots. As a disclaimer, this particular bird was a bird at a rehabilitation center that accepted parrots with the goal of re-introcducing them into the wild. Thus, this bird was free flying, but well habituated to humans. Usually, one sees these parrots as a group flying past high in the sky, so I decided that it was alright to photograph this bird, as I am not sure that I will ever have an opportunity to get this close to one again. This photo was taken in early morning light. View attachment 77105 These parrots are listed as Endangered on the IUCN Red List due to the two most common problems affecting wild parrot populations, habitat loss and poaching for the pet trade.
Nikon Z 9, Nikon Z 600mm F/4 TC, 1/8000 second @f/4.0, ISO1250, -1.4 ev.
Awesome shot👍👍👍

Congratulations for catching this great image. I would also like to note your forthcoming of circumstances leading to the shot. Hopefully this parrot can recover and return to the wild..

Thank you, Jim! I understand some unfortunate interbreeding is going on there.
That is interesting. I didn't know about the Lilac ones until recently, when I saw someone report observations of them on Ebird. So I started paying closer attention and taking binoculars on the morning walks. Some of the bird books says that first year red-crowns have just a smaller red brow that grows into the full crown as they mature. So at a distance, even after I knew about them, the Lilac ones appeared to me to be juveniles of the other type, and it took a bit of effort to get distinct enough views for the "Aha moment" to occur. But now, I think if you spent a couple of days in one of the parks, you could get frame filling shots of both types.

Congratulations for catching this great image. I would also like to note your forthcoming of circumstances leading to the shot. Hopefully this parrot can recover and return to the wild..
Thank you very much, Larry! I do try to be honest about how I get my images .👍

Lovely photograph. I understand your interest in Parrots - having bred african parrots for many many years. My one bucket list bird is the Cape Parrot - in nature.
Thank you, Elsa! I, too, want to see the African parrots, all of them! I am trying to arrange a tour of lovebirds for 2024 or 2025. I am up to 88 species psittacines seen and photographed!

Thank you, Elsa! I, too, want to see the African parrots, all of them! I am trying to arrange a tour of lovebirds for 2024 or 2025. I am up to 88 species psittacines seen and photographed!
Where will you go for the Lovebirds?

The "true" (and highly endangered) Cape Parrot (Poicephalus robustus robustus) is only found in South Africa. The other two are Poicephalus robustus suahelicus and Poicephalus robustus fussiccollis and found higher up in Africa.

Back