Accessory storage & organization

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
After years of engaging in this hobby we all love, I have accumulated a significant amount of accessories and other miscellaneous items related to photography. I’m sure many of you are in the same boat (just a wild guess lol). Cords, screws, wrenches, Arca plates, clamps, lens feet, straps, spare memory cards, etc…

Currently, I have things scattered across multiple drawers, bags, hard storage cases, and other nooks and crannies of my home office. I am looking to properly organize and consolidate all my gear into one place. My first thought is to just buy a few of those Plano clear “tackle box” style organizers for everything small that will comfortably fit in them, combined with dedicated shelf space for larger items. This will be inside a small walk-in closet.

I’m curious to hear what some of you use to stay organized. Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, along with photos if you wish. Go!

Last edited:
Felt-lined drawer inserts, a bit like cutlery organisers in a kitchen but with a non-slip, non-scratch surface. Very flexible for memory cards, batteries and other small items. Larger stuff in foldable storage boxes from Muji.

After years of engaging in this hobby we all love, I have accumulated a significant amount of accessories and other miscellaneous items related to photography. I’m sure many of you are in the same boat (just a wild guess lol). Cords, screws, wrenches, Arca plates, clamps, lens feet, straps, spare memory cards, etc…

Currently, I have things scattered across multiple drawers, bags, hard storage cases, and other nooks and crannies of my home office. I am looking to properly organize and consolidate all my gear into one place. My first thought is to just buy a few of those Plano clear “tackle box” style organizers for everything small that will comfortably fit in them, combined with dedicated shelf space for larger items. This will be inside a small walk-in closet.

I’m curious to hear what some of you use to stay organized. Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, along with photos if you wish. Go!
I use this workbench made by a company called Swivel. Every drawer has a pouch of silica gel. The top has a power strip and acts as "charging station."

All my stuff is loose within the designated drawers, no additional boxes inside.

Screenshot_20240901_074746_Chrome.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Living in a small space and having moved a few times my associated 'stuff' is spread far and wide in the apt and storage; nice way of meaning I have no idea where anything is, that I don't use regularly. Best example of the chaos is I KNOW I have a D6 L-bracket but took it off when at one point I was going to sell the camera. I can find it nowhere and have searched near countless camera bags -- I use my 'no longer in use' (many) bags for storage and have been unable to find it anywhere LOL. Refused to buy a new one 'cause I know I've got one and now they are simply unavailable. Anyway, to your question. I use camera bags (mostly day use size), but have labelled few of them so anything not frequently used (and visible on my gear shelves) is effectively archived requiring a full on search. Ultimately I'd like clear plastic, lidded boxes, nicely labelled. It's on a to do list somewhere :)

Plastic bins with tight fitting lids.
This is my solution. I have one for camera cases, lens cases, shoulder straps, etc. A smaller one for wrenches, tools, screws, inserts, etc. One for a variety of other miscellaneous stuff. And one for the things I tend to use most often, cleaning cloths, card holders, brushes, spare usb cables, chargers, etc.

A similar thread you might find interesting.............

Labels. Don't forget to organize containers by category and LABEL them smartly.

I have 6' wire shelving units with 5 levels (including top) with large-sized plastic bins, with small baskets inside of them for factoring down organization to smaller stuff.

I thought about having a unit with drawers for small stuff and I might still (on one shelf), but the lions share of items are too large for smallish drawers.

Chris

I have a closet with shelves in my man cave/media room that houses my (soon to be obsolete) DVD collection. My cameras, lenses, chargers, cables, and filters occupy the remaining shelves. It’s controlled chaos, but I can eventually find what I am searching for. I also have another box of assorted cables elsewhere that I might need some day😜.

I use this workbench made by a company called Swivel. Every drawer has a pouch of silica gel. The top has a power strip and acts as "charging station."

All my stuff is loose within the designated drawers, no additional boxes inside.

View attachment 96374
Thank you Nimi for sharing this Gear organizer. Can One of the drawer fit a 600 mm tc lens? Where can we find this item?

View attachment 96374
I found 7 drawers at Amazon.ca for 6060$. It is quite expensive for my budget now. Definitely is well made item and good solution to organize my photography gear

Back