If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm going to channel my inner Bob Ross and call this "a happy little accident" because while I planned to photograph the sunrise, this was in no way the type of photo I was trying to get. The haze from Canadian wildfires has been so bad here in Wisconsin for most of the summer that I've been unable to catch a decent sunrise, but it cleared up a little this past week and the sun seemed more powerful so I decided to get up at 3:30 and drive an hour to catch the sunrise in Sturgeon Bay with the intention of doing a long exposure shot, using a lighthouse and catwalk to frame the photo with the sun off to the side. When I got there I wasn't liking the angles I was seeing in order to get the color in the sky I wanted so I abandoned the long exposure shot and decided to just get the sun over the lake, but then realized I forgot to throw the 70-200 in the bag and I only had the 20mm 1.8 on my D850 and 300 PF w/ 1.4 TC on the D500. So, I put the 300 on the D850 and shot away. During one of my vertical shots I got photobombed by some low flying pelicans and I ended up liking that shot the most from what I took. The D850's 45 mp came to the rescue here since I liked a landscape orientation better than the vertical shot I took, so this is cropped a bit. It probably would have been better had I been focused on the pelicans, but I didn't even realize they were going to be in the shot, but I still think this turned out OK and made the trip worth it.

850_3689-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm going to channel my inner Bob Ross and call this "a happy little accident" because while I planned to photograph the sunrise, this was in no way the type of photo I was trying to get. The haze from Canadian wildfires has been so bad here in Wisconsin for most of the summer that I've been unable to catch a decent sunrise, but it cleared up a little this past week and the sun seemed more powerful so I decided to get up at 3:30 and drive an hour to catch the sunrise in Sturgeon Bay with the intention of doing a long exposure shot, using a lighthouse and catwalk to frame the photo with the sun off to the side. When I got there I wasn't liking the angles I was seeing in order to get the color in the sky I wanted so I abandoned the long exposure shot and decided to just get the sun over the lake, but then realized I forgot to throw the 70-200 in the bag and I only had the 20mm 1.8 on my D850 and 300 PF w/ 1.4 TC on the D500. So, I put the 300 on the D850 and shot away. During one of my vertical shots I got photobombed by some low flying pelicans and I ended up liking that shot the most from what I took. The D850's 45 mp came to the rescue here since I liked a landscape orientation better than the vertical shot I took, so this is cropped a bit. It probably would have been better had I been focused on the pelicans, but I didn't even realize they were going to be in the shot, but I still think this turned out OK and made the trip worth it.
Love photos like this, well done!

Wonderful capture! Agree the smoke has seriously impacted photo opps this year. your rxtra effort paid off here.