Adobe LR denoise AI process time changes as editing goes on.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Good evening I have noticed that sometimes while using the denoise ai feature the time will go from 6-7 seconds normally to some crazy time like 14 minutes. This evening I was editing a bunch of photos then batch processing 15 photos to denoise and when I clicked it it said 256 min and all I do it close and reopen Lightroom and it’s back to 4min.

Is there something that changes over time while using the program that would cause this? I could be editing say 100 or so photos and as I’m going thru I’ll denoise a few here and there and it’s the normal 7 seconds but as I get further down the line sometimes it will increase the time it takes to apply and again restarting Lightroom speeds it back up.

Could be one of these settings? I believe you can empty it or add to the size of various things. So when you restart a temporary cache is probably emptied. Maybe see if you can increase the size of the working in preferences.

Last edited:
If you're on a Windows machine, I'd open Task Manager and look at your performance metrics to monitor your CPU, Memory, GPU and disk access status...look to see if anything is saturating to 100%. If so, check the processes tab and see which App/Process is the culprit. Information is your friend!

I'm sure there is a similar tool on a Mac, but I do my best not to enter into that realm...:)

This evening I was editing a bunch of photos then batch processing 15 photos to denoise and when I clicked it it said 256 min and all I do it close and reopen Lightroom and it’s back to 4min.

Is there something that changes over time while using the program that would cause this? I could be editing say 100 or so photos and as I’m going thru I’ll denoise a few here and there and it’s the normal 7 seconds but as I get further down the line sometimes it will increase the time it takes to apply and again restarting Lightroom speeds it back up.
Dunno if this is relevant to the question - but just recently I read somewhere that Adobe recommends that AI Denoise be run on an image prior to any image editing. Not sure why but a little Search engine session should find the info.

I'm wondering if AI Denoise is becoming a default step in workflows for most images - even those that don't need it?

My understanding is that the editing tools will work more consistently and effectively if they're working on an image with lower noise...which makes perfect sense.

In my case, I only use DeNoise on images where I find the noise objectionable...usually a case where in the past, I'd have foregone the shot entirely, but with the new capabilities, I can push the limits and come up with a photo that will suit the intended purpose.

Do you have a backup running in a continuous mode? Try turning your backup off and see if that makes a difference. My thinking is that while using the denoise application it is building a temporary file of some sort that then becomes locked. Denoise tries to reuse that temp file and cannot since the file is locked. I have seen this with some applications and the processing time just continues to climb. Usually temp files and locations are excluded from most backup applications but if you specifically selected some LrC folders to backup it might be causing a problem. When this occurs check your system resources and usually they are near 0%, the application is just waiting for the file to be unlocked so the time for processing just continues to climb. Restarting LrC clears temp files or creates a new temp file.

Last edited:
I've had the exact same thing happen randomly fairly often. Just cancelling that one and restarting it has always fixed it for me

I didn't know you could do them in a batch though - How do you do that?

I've had the exact same thing happen randomly fairly often. Just cancelling that one and restarting it has always fixed it for me

I didn't know you could do them in a batch though - How do you do that?
In the filmstrip you just select the photos you want denoised and then hit Denoise

Good evening I have noticed that sometimes while using the denoise ai feature the time will go from 6-7 seconds normally to some crazy time like 14 minutes. This evening I was editing a bunch of photos then batch processing 15 photos to denoise and when I clicked it it said 256 min and all I do it close and reopen Lightroom and it’s back to 4min.

Probably memory. LR is a memory cache hog and the restart flushes the cache, RAM and VRAM. Next time you experience a slowdown, take a look at memory allocation for VRAM and RAM.

Back