AdobeRGB for pre capture since it uses JPG?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SandyW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Because I shoot RAW, I have left my camera color profile set to sRGB since it doesn't affect RAW and I hate that _file name character. I'm now going into a situation where the pre-capture option on the Nikon could be useful. I post process in AdobeRAW or ProPhoto. This implies I should switch back to AdobeRGB to increase my options for any potential JPG files? Correct?

I'd say. You get a little more latitude for adjustments. Just be mindful of your output if you need srgb for the web.

hmmm...this is a very interesting idea to get more elasticity out of the JPG's for editing. I've never used Adobe color space in my camera's becuase I want my JPG's to look correct right out of the camera and it makes no difference to the Raw's, but if you're shooting the JPG's as surrogate for the Raw, where you plan to process the image, then this makes sense. But don't expect them to look good out of camera.

I see this mistake made all the time. So many people change their color space to adobe thinking it's helping them when it's hurting them. It's usless for Raw and Hurts your unprocessed JPG's.

Never use Adobe color space for JPG's you want to look correct for display on the internet. When they get converted the colors look all funky.

hmmm...this is a very interesting idea to get more elasticity out of the JPG's for editing. I've never used Adobe color space in my camera's becuase I want my JPG's to look correct right out of the camera and it makes no difference to the Raw's, but if you're shooting the JPG's as surrogate for the Raw, where you plan to process the image, then this makes sense. But don't expect them to look good out of camera.

I see this mistake made all the time. So many people change their color space to adobe thinking it's helping them when it's hurting them. It's usless for Raw and Hurts your unprocessed JPG's.

Never use Adobe color space for JPG's you want to look correct for display on the internet. When they get converted the colors look all funky.
I am curious. How does AdobeRGB hurt unprocessed jpg's?

Last edited:
Perhaps "hurt" was a poor choice of words. The colors baked into AdobeRGB JPG's are different and would need to be squeezed down for output to SRGB to dispay anywhere on the web. If you just take an AdobeRGB JPG and attempt to display it on the web it will look terrible and Flat. It looks alot like a RAW photo (unprocessed). I've seen this happen a lot, people take photo's with this color space in their camera, the adobergb is baked in the JPG's and they post directly to the web and wonder why their pictures look funky.

You might try it as and experiment. Take a few photo's of something with a nice color palette with color space SRGB in camera, then change to AdobeRGB. Then post both them to Flicker or somewhere else on the web or just view on a regular monitor that doesn't support AdobeRGB (your's probaby does, but most regular non-photographers don't have wide-gamut monitors) and you'll see a big differerence.

I'm curious to see what you find.

Yep that is my workflow as well. If you were to take one of those AdobRBG exports to the web it would not look as good as the SrGB export. Which is essentially the same as if you took a JPG out of camera shot with the color space in the camera set to AdobeRGB instead of SRGB.

I agree about the srgb being more universal for the web, and that it is better to convert to srgb and imbed the profile. But browsers are getting more savvy in terms of color management, so you might not always see the garish output you might have years ago. Pretty good article:

I leave my camera set to Adobe RGB, even if I shoot pre-captures in jpg. If my output from raw images will be jpg, I convert the color space at that time in post, in addition to flattening the image and any re-sizing that might be needed.

Back