Advice for buying used gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
So far all of my camera gear has been bought new, but I'm planning to buy some high end gear and the cost saving for buying used is substantial. I'm planning to buy the Sony A1 and 600 F4 GM. I've spent a ton of money renting different gear this year and have decided that I'm in love with that setup for the my location. The cost difference between a brand new A1 + 600 F4 vs. buying those used allows for a fair amount of money left over to be used for other gear, trips, etc.

Is it a bad idea to buy those items used? I'm concerned about a motor failing or other issues that would otherwise be covered under warranty. There is also the concern about seller reputation. One option I've considered is KEH, which would save me a little money and has a 180 warranty. But getting the 600 F4 used from an individual could save upwards of $4000 when you consider tax on a new one.

Any advice buying used gear would be helpful. Not just advice about the sale process/buyer safety, but about long-term maintenance concerns with the gear too.

Thanks.

I prefer to buy from the current owner and find the safest place overall to be the Buy Sell section on the fredmiranda website. I can see multiple photos of the lens and get the shutter count for a camera. Prices are lower than for a used photo dealer like MPB as one would expect. The dealers need to buy and then resell the camera or lens and make a profit to stay in business. The last place I would go is eBay for any used equipment.

Any advice buying used gear would be helpful.
I've bought and sold quite a bit of used camera gear over the years and my experience has been very good from private sellers and used equipment retailers alike. Even with the dreaded eBay I've never actually been burned. I did receive a lens once that had sticky aperture blades and didn't match the description and eBay refunded my payment without any problems. Still going with a reputable reseller like KEH, MPB, Roberts, Adorama, B&H Used and the like removes a lot of risk. Purchasing refurb cameras and lenses directly from Sony, Nikon, Canon, etc. removes even more risk but of course the price goes up as the risk is removed.

When buying DSLRs I pay attention to shutter count but not really over concerns about the shutter itself, those are relatively easy and cost effective to replace. To me shutter count is a lot like mileage on a car and gives you clues to how much handling the camera has had over the years. When I have purchased high shutter count cameras they usually showed the additional wear and before long I had then in for service for things like sticky or non responsive buttons though even that stuff isn't a deal breaker if the price is right.

When buying any used gear I ask a lot of questions, no guarantees of course that the answers are accurate but I don't assume things like camera or lens condition or whether there's dust, fungus, scratches or other problems. Generally the private sellers I've purchased from are good about disclosing less than perfect equipment but it pays to ask questions up front especially if the price is suspiciously good.

Matt, I've purchased used equipment before, and have only had two bad outcomes; both through Nikon USA refurbished items. I've purchased from acquaintances that I know well, from retailers online and through ebay without regret over equipment problems. If there were something I wanted offered here in the BCG Forums Marketplace, I'd also go that route due to the quality of the members and the rules of the Marketplace. I've purchased some really big items off of ebay over the years, and I'm pleased with the outcome of these purchases. I just vetted the sellers and looked for a good return policy, backed by ebay, when I did so.

The common element in my doing so has to always exercise extreme due diligence in the buying process. I either make sure the venue of the sale is solidly in my favor if the item isn't as advertised, or that I can test the equipment for functionality before I purchase it when done in person. For safety, I never conduct the transaction in person from one online contact unless it is done so in a well attended public venue. I have met face-to-face with one person for a sale when I had contact with them in two venues online, but that time they were also vouched for by a mutual acquaintance. Of course, that isn't an issue if I already know the other party.

With the speed at which photo equipment is technologically advancing, there is plenty of really good used equipment on the market. It would be a shame for it to just sit on a shelf unused until it's obsolete or non-functioning. My advice is to do your homework on both the process and equipment, and if it is favorable, go for it.

I have purchased used Nikon lenses from KEH and MPB and even eBay (a long time ago) with good success. Some have been manual focus lenses and some have been AF lenses.

One thing to keep in mind with any AF lens of any brand (from any seller) is whether replacement part AF motors are still available in case the AF lens I buy used might need one sometime in the near future.

+1 on FM buy/sell. I’ve been buying and selling on that forum for close to 10 years. All of my transactions have been positive, both as buyer and seller.

A not-so-obvious benefit of buying on that forum is the opportunity to communicate with a user directly about the gear that they’re selling to better understand how I might use it, including tips, limitations, concerns, and advantages from their experiences.

Also, sellers on that forum, for the most part, have a better sense of the actual value of what they’re selling, compared to other sources, such as fleabay where prices can border on ridiculous.

Last edited:
Ask lots of question. FM is a great place to buy and sell. I have sometimes sold on Craigslist but rather not limit myself to small geographic and limited number of buyers, especially when selling expensive equipment

I agree with what everyone has posted. Two things you could consider, given the cost of the purchases, is you can likely purchase an extended warranty or possibly put it on a personal property policy on your homeowners which might give you some protection. Also, for the savings, you could get a plane ticket if required to hold the hardware in your own hands and use it a bit to ease your mind.

I'm in the opposite position as I have mostly bought used up till now. I decided to go for broke and buy the Z8 & 180-600 new. This gear is historically out of my price range and I want the warranty protection that comes with new. I got burned on ebay years ago, my fault, long story, I don't buy expensive gear there. I've had no problems and been quite pleased with purchases on Fred Miranda and Nikonians. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from here either if I found something I was looking for. One thing I would add is to look at the sellers profile, how long they've been posting/selling, and their feedback. I would not buy from someone who just showed up to sell something.

I'd ask the seller about date of purchase(ask for receipt if they have it), any repair history, and ask for the serial number. There are sites where you can look up the serial number and find out when the lens was manufactured. I'd also ask if the lens has been kept in a dry locker. If no and they live in a high humidity environment even if the glass is clear I'd move on. All that said there is a level of risk buying directly from individuals. There needs to be commensurate reward.

One aspect I forgot to mention is whether the used equipment you're considering was meant for the geographic market in which you reside.

For instance, Nikon has distribution to specific geographic regions for their products, and will not usually provide service on an item intended for sale in a different geographic area. Even though the items are abolutely identical.

In some instances, there are still third-party centers that can, and will, provide some service for these lenses.

I'm not familiar with Sony's policies, so someone else might speak to theirs, since that it the brand of equipment that you mentioned in your OP.

One aspect I forgot to mention is whether the used equipment you're considering was meant for the geographic market in which you reside.

For instance, Nikon has distribution to specific geographic regions for their products, and will not usually provide service on an item intended for sale in a different geographic area. Even though the items are abolutely identical.

In some instances, there are still third-party centers that can, and will, provide some service for these lenses.

I'm not familiar with Sony's policies, so someone else might speak to theirs, since that it the brand of equipment that you mentioned in your OP.

That's a good point. I live in the US and so I guess it would be best to ensure that the items were originally purchased in the US.

That's a good point. I live in the US and so I guess it would be best to ensure that the items were originally purchased in the US.
Not just that they were purchased in the USA, as "Gray Market" gear is sold in this country by reputable outlets. You would need to ascertain that the equipment is intended for the US market by the manufacturer.

Not just that they were purchased in the USA, as "Gray Market" gear is sold in this country by reputable outlets. You would need to ascertain that the equipment is intended for the US market by the manufacturer.
I was not aware of that. So if I buy something new from one of the big camera stores in the USA, I could be getting a "Gray Market" product? Or does that only apply to buying used items from stores? How do I deteremine if it's gray market or not?

I was not aware of that. So if I buy something new from one of the big camera stores in the USA, I could be getting a "Gray Market" product? Or does that only apply to buying used items from stores? How do I deteremine if it's gray market or not?
Any reputable seller will clearly state in the ad or post if an item is gray market. It's always worth asking but if you discover a seller has not clearly stated it up front, red flag!

It should be advertised as "USA warranty". With Nikon you can also tell by the serial number. Not sure if Sony does the same but easy enough to find out with Google. Typically high end gear like you are interested in does not get sold on the "grey market". That is a means that manufacturers use of dumping inventory.

Any reputable seller will clearly state in the ad or post if an item is gray market. It's always worth asking but if you discover a seller has not clearly stated it up front, red flag!
It should be advertised as "USA warranty". With Nikon you can also tell by the serial number. Not sure if Sony does the same but easy enough to find out with Google. Typically high end gear like you are interested in does not get sold on the "grey market". That is a means that manufacturers use of dumping inventory.
Matt, The two previous responses to your question are "spot on". If you can't read in an ad for an item whether it is or is not a gray market item, I'd discuss the issue with the seller. If they can't, or won't, provide an answer to this question, I'd steer clear of the sale. I'd also do my own research to determine whether the gear is intended for your market. "Caveat emptor" applies.

i bought on eBay a sigma lens w a Nikon F mount and unfortunately it was gray market. Could not get service. I forgot the ask the seller. My error

I have found this website useful for info about Nikon products: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/index.html. Maybe there is something similar for Sony.

There's a big advantage in my mind buying from something like this forum's members. Especially if they are well-known. They will give you the history of the lens or camera, where it was bought, issues, etc, I believe.

I've only bought a couple of used items, but I factor in a service to the total cost I'm willing to pay. My upper end this summer was $2400 for a used 500mm PF. I paid $2000, the lens needed $300 of service, and I paid for insured shipping (another $100). I took a chance on whether it was gray market because the camera shop I bought it from couldn't say for sure, but I was pretty sure it wasn't. That same lens is now lower in the used market.

The price paid should reflect a couple of things. First, you can/will pay more than what a dealer will pay the seller in trade-in. But, the seller should sell for less than what you'd have to pay at a dealer. It's a win-win, if done carefully.

If you are buying used, you can always call Sony or Nikon, Canon, etc and see if they still service the camera or lens (if an older model). At some point they may not. Others may have more experience with this than I. The Nikon service website will allow you to input a model and serial number and give you service options plus costs for standard service. Anything else they find is extra.
Good luck, Alan

Back