Advice for photographing Short-eared Owls

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well it's almost Short-eared Owl season here in western PA. There's a location (<--- click the link) about 20 mins outside Pittsburgh that has 3-4 Short-eared Owls every winter as well as some Northern Harriers. It's a relatively large, flat open field with tall grass and a paved bike path running through the middle which sits in a shallow depression with gentle slopes on either side. I've been about 4 times and I tend to get FOMO and wander around because I see them 1/4 to 1/2 mile away, but I should probably just remain in one place and hope they come to me, but I feel that I have no idea where to sit and wait. I have flushed a few of them while walking around the slope south of the trail so I imagine that's where they roost but they tend to fly all over the place. For those of you who have had success photographing these owls, what would you suggest? Is it just random/luck of the draw that they'll eventually come to where I'm sitting, or are there patterns or behavior with their hunting that I should look for?

Well it's almost Short-eared Owl season here in western PA. There's a location (<--- click the link) about 20 mins outside Pittsburgh that has 3-4 Short-eared Owls every winter as well as some Northern Harriers. It's a relatively large, flat open field with tall grass and a paved bike path running through the middle which sits in a shallow depression with gentle slopes on either side. I've been about 4 times and I tend to get FOMO and wander around because I see them 1/4 to 1/2 mile away, but I should probably just remain in one place and hope they come to me, but I feel that I have no idea where to sit and wait. I have flushed a few of them while walking around the slope south of the trail so I imagine that's where they roost but they tend to fly all over the place. For those of you who have had success photographing these owls, what would you suggest? Is it just random/luck of the draw that they'll eventually come to where I'm sitting, or are there patterns or behavior with their hunting that I should look for?
I was hoping to see what more experience people would suggest before writing, but my limited experience in a field near me was that the SEO were very unpredictable. They would hide under a particular bush most of the day and some people would get close to that area and wait for it to either fly or return to that area. However I thought that was too invasive to do. Watching them they would seem to make a particular circuit to hunt but when too many photographers were along that path, they would change their route. So my strategy is to stand near a bush or tree with a view of the field away from others and hope they come near me, which is not the most efficient way but sometimes one gets lucky (and have had them land close by). It gets even tougher if one is going for a shot in golden light!

Last edited:
They are hunting mice etc so if there are areas more likely to attract rodents that's a good place to hang out. If you have the luxury of time you can study them a bit and identify areas that they may favor. But generally speaking yes, pick a spot and sit still. If you pick wrong then pick a better spot next time. Chasing them isn't very productive.

I was hoping to see what more experience people would suggest before writing, but my limited experience in a field near me was that the SEO were very unpredictable. They would hide under a particular bush most of the day and some people would get close to that area and wait for it to either fly or return to that area. However I thought that was too invasive to do. Watching them they would seem to make a particular circuit to hunt but when too many photographers were along that path, they would change their route. So my strategy is to stand near a bush or tree with a view of the field away from others and hope they come near me, which is not the most efficient way but sometimes one gets lucky (and have had them land close by). It gets even tougher if one is going for a shot in golden light!

Good idea on finding a location near a tree/bush... I tried that once but ran out of patience. I'll try again next time.
Never had the opportunity, but I would make sure the sun was at my back.....and try to get any breeze or wind coming from my back also.
Thanks! Luckily the horizon is low at this location (rare for the Pittsburgh area!) so I can take advantage of the low sun angle, assuming the sun decides to make an appearance. It gets pretty cloudy here in the winter.
They are hunting mice etc so if there are areas more likely to attract rodents that's a good place to hang out. If you have the luxury of time you can study them a bit and identify areas that they may favor. But generally speaking yes, pick a spot and sit still. If you pick wrong then pick a better spot next time. Chasing them isn't very productive.
Thanks for the response! Yes, I assumed I'd need the luxury of time and to take my chances. There is a large section of shorter grass where I think there are less mice/voles/etc so I'll avoid those areas. I'll camp out in/near the tall grass when I go back there later this year and give it a shot.

Back