AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED vs AF-S 17-35 f/2.8D ED

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

With my 14-24mm f/2.8 F-mount lens I added two very expensive adapter kits so I could use ND filters and these ND filters with their size are also very expensive. The new Z 14-24mm f/2.8 can work with 112mm ND filters but at $600 to buy 3 filters with different filter factors is pricey and I would be concerned about flare if using more than one ND at a time with such a wide view angle lens.

Flare is only a problem if photographing into the sun which is something I very seldom do with wide angle lenses. And flare can add to an image as often as not.
Haida makes a filter adapter for the back of the Nikon Z 14-24mm lens. The adapter and ND filter kit is $150 at B&H. Haven't tried it and don't know anyone who has, but it may be an inexpensive solution - the lens itself has room for gel filters according to the manual. If anyone tries it out, let us know.

I use 15mm f2.8AIP Zeiss, with 150 NiSi filter system. Obviously it cannot zoom but I also have the 21 f2.8AIP Zeiss. Both are the older Distagon models, which I bought a good Used prices after Zeiss upgraded these excellent optics to their Milvus line.
For carrying-most-places, I use the light 18-35 G, which is a gem IME. Also bought Used

When I last read up on the 17-35 AFD, it gets(got) mixed reviews.
If your Zeiss is ZF or ZF2 then stick with them - many were made by Zeiss and not Cosina - And they are better than the Milvus range.
The 17-35mm is a really sharp lens - it has one plastic element which uncommon at the time but common now.
Its only slight weakness is that the AF motor sometimes fails.

I'm planning a trip to the Badlands and Yellowstone this June and will be taking wide angle landscape shots this trip, which will be a new experience for me. I have an AF-S 17-35 f/2.8D ED lens and realize it's an older model. I've read some reviews which suggest it's soft around the edges and so I'm thinking of selling and replacing with the AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED. I'm seeking comments, recommendations, suggestions, anything I can get to assist in making a solid decision with respect to a super wide angle lens. If the group has alternative ideas regarding a killer lens to do the job I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thank you.

14-24 SHARP FAST ACCURATE

Been using the 14-24 2.8 G for 14 years successfully and brilliantly with filters, with absolutely no issues what so ever.
I have been using Glass square ND, GND, polarize filters for 14 years when the world was saying you cant use filters and in cases they still do today LOL.

I use Schneider filters, and of late i believe there are so many filters and holders on the market with Nisi being the most popular.

The worlds ignorance for 14 years has been to my competitive advantage.

The 14-24 2.8 G is a paparazzi lens that has also found its way into being a landscape lens, its a wide angle that can shoot as close as 6 inches.

Currently used its dirt cheap under $1000, yes its heavy but that's good as well.

I even use it on a mono pod pole held well above my head for riots, protests, in marching crowds it just gets everything, close up or in the distance.

I use it for street scapes, landscapes, seascapes, news coverage, even some macro, dynamic angle close sports action, creative work, low light, astro.

Bottom line, if you want the ultimate in landscape lens and don't mind 19mm then the amazing 19mm tilt shift is as good as it gets optically corner to corner, period, but its not a F2.8 if you want astro.

Another stunner i use a lot is the 16mm F2.8 Fish eye, just sharp, but most people will rag on it as they don't know how to use it, mind you its a astro lens designed way back with a 180 degree view that no one realizes the magic it has, sadly it wont work on the Z9 but works on the D850.

I am a lover of Ziess glass and have several lenses, but if you want a zoom at F2.8 for low light with auto focus the old reliable 14-24 G is a great choice.

But if your using a Z body and have deep pockets then go for the Z 14-24, while you can throw a blanket over them all its smaller lighter and you wont need an adapter.

Last edited:
I've got the 14-24 2.8 S. I never do pixel peeping stuff with my lenses but the Z mount 14-24 2.8 is just crazy good -- and I've only played around with it for some street photography (on the Z6) and some boring light situations in the mountains. Your post has me realizing I've not put the lens on the Z9 yet. Off to do that right now LOL

14-24 SHARP FAST ACCURATE

Been using the 14-24 2.8 G for 14 years successfully and brilliantly with filters, with absolutely no issues what so ever.
I have been using Glass square ND, GND, polarize filters for 14 years when the world was saying you cant use filters and in cases they still do today LOL.

I use Schneider filters, and of late i believe there are so many filters and holders on the market with Nisi being the most popular.

The worlds ignorance for 14 years has been to my competitive advantage.

The 14-24 2.8 G is a paparazzi lens that has also found its way into being a landscape lens, its a wide angle that can shoot as close as 6 inches.

Currently used its dirt cheap under $1000, yes its heavy but that's good as well.

I even use it on a mono pod pole held well above my head for riots, protests, in marching crowds it just gets everything, close up or in the distance.

I use it for street scapes, landscapes, seascapes, news coverage, even some macro, dynamic angle close sports action, creative work, low light, astro.

Bottom line, if you want the ultimate in landscape lens and don't mind 19mm then the amazing 19mm tilt shift is as good as it gets optically corner to corner, period, but its not a F2.8 if you want astro.

Another stunner i use a lot is the 16mm F2.8 Fish eye, just sharp, but most people will rag on it as they don't know how to use it, mind you its a astro lens designed way back with a 180 degree view that no one realizes the magic it has, sadly it wont work on the Z9 but works on the D850.

I am a lover of Ziess glass and have several lenses, but if you want a zoom at F2.8 for low light with auto focus the old reliable 14-24 G is a great choice.

But if your using a Z body and have deep pockets then go for the Z 14-24, while you can throw a blanket over them all its smaller lighter and you wont need an adapter.
Wow, what a great walk through the park! I went with the Z14-24 and can’t wait to get it. Thank you!

I've got the 14-24 2.8 S. I never do pixel peeping stuff with my lenses but the Z mount 14-24 2.8 is just crazy good -- and I've only played around with it for some street photography (on the Z6) and some boring light situations in the mountains. Your post has me realizing I've not put the lens on the Z9 yet. Off to do that right now LOL
I decided to go with the Z14-24. Can’t wait to try it out.

Wow, what a great walk through the park! I went with the Z14-24 and can’t wait to get it. Thank you!

Good on you, love it and use it creatively as well, its an addictive focal range, mine i use mostly to get in fast, super close and hammer away shooting upwards and diagonally for effect. I often shoot from the hip or ankles pointing upwards even backwards when i am running away, or from above my head and it still nails things.

I haven't let go of my DSLR D850 or FX wholly trio as i am not there yet with being convinced mirror less really adds as much as is claimed to what i do, separating perception from reality is skill based for me and time is needed still.

I have had the Z9 since new years eve and just picked up a 50mm1.8 Z lens dirt cheap, but using the FX glass still until i am convinced its where i want to go just now.
Buying a printer cheap is great paying through the nose for the cart rages is what kills.

I think the mirror less glass pricing levels for good glass is just gouging.

Good on you, love it and use it creatively as well, its an addictive focal range, mine i use mostly to get in fast, super close and hammer away shooting upwards and diagonally for effect. I often shoot from the hip or ankles pointing upwards even backwards when i am running away, or from above my head and it still nails things.

I haven't let go of my DSLR D850 or FX wholly trio as i am not there yet with being convinced mirror less really adds as much as is claimed to what i do, separating perception from reality is skill based for me and time is needed still.

I have had the Z9 since new years eve and just picked up a 50mm1.8 Z lens dirt cheap, but using the FX glass still until i am convinced its where i want to go just now.
Buying a printer cheap is great paying through the nose for the cart rages is what kills.

I think the mirror less glass pricing levels for good glass is just gouging.
The Z glass is slightly better than the F/G glass wide open but few people actually use that extra sharpness.
Even though my Z9 arrived on Dec 24th I still prefer the ergonomics of my D850 and D5 bodies.
And few people even get close to using their camera or lens to its full potential.
I shoot product so 90% of image quality is in the lighting not the camera or lens.
New tech aside - Having no mirror doesn't make for better images.🦘

The Z glass is slightly better than the F/G glass wide open but few people actually use that extra sharpness.
Even though my Z9 arrived on Dec 24th I still prefer the ergonomics of my D850 and D5 bodies.
And few people even get close to using their camera or lens to its full potential.
I shoot product so 90% of image quality is in the lighting not the camera or lens.
New tech aside - Having no mirror doesn't make for better images.🦘

I follow your logic in what you do, i find almost any lens becomes super sharp with added lighting, getting it in the field is the secret i find.
The Z9 is just super fast, but if you slow it down to 12 or 15 FPS i cant see an huge advantage so far say to a D6 other than being 45mp which is amazing.
As to tracking hey it works in some cases well overall i think regardless of BRAND its a little overrated.

I think its appeal in that area suites the shooter with little skill set, hey its a starting point for the future that's only going get better.

The Z glass is defiantly the best Nikon has made to date...........i think the hype on auto tracking is more for the video sector/
Now i am not taking away anything from the Z9 or any high end mirror less system, i do feel all brands and this tracking feature is still a bit overrated.

I follow your logic in what you do, i find almost any lens becomes super sharp with added lighting, getting it in the field is the secret i find.
The Z9 is just super fast, but if you slow it down to 12 or 15 FPS i cant see an huge advantage so far say to a D6 other than being 45mp which is amazing.
As to tracking hey it works in some cases well overall i think regardless of BRAND its a little overrated.

I think its appeal in that area suites the shooter with little skill set, hey its a starting point for the future that's only going get better.

The Z glass is defiantly the best Nikon has made to date...........i think the hype on auto tracking is more for the video sector/
Now i am not taking away anything from the Z9 or any high end mirror less system, i do feel all brands and this tracking feature is still a bit overrated.
A D6 is going to have better dynamic range - less megapixels helps.
But although the Z9 can be used by almost anyone - it take some skill to get the most out of it...🦘

Back