AF-S TC-14E III format

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Does Nikon AF-S TC-14E III have DX format? I found this information on dpreview.com
DX crop on a FF sensor is 1.5x or in other words, the resultant image is 1.5x larger. So, if you have a 100mm lens, the DX crop will "appear" to be 1.5x larger or "equivalent" to a 150mm focal length lens on a FF sensor.

A 1.4x TC will give you a 1.4x larger image on the sensor. So, if you have a 100mm lens, the focal length will be the equivalent to a 140mm lens on a FF sensor. The other thing to remember is that the effective aperture is also changed by 1.4x so that an f4 lens becomes an f5.6 lens.

There are a few other factors that affect a DX crop like extra noise and DOF changes, but for the moment the above is a quick answer to your question.

Last edited:
As I understand the difference, a TC projects a magnified image on to the sensor plane using the full area of pixels: eg 45mp in the case of Z9 or D850.

In contrast to optical magnification, DX format is a crop of the FX image projected by the lens on the sensor plane, as does a 1:1 or other crop ratio available on modern ILCs. So a DX crop records ~20mp image in the case of Z9 or D850.

As I understand the difference, a TC projects a magnified image on to the sensor plane using the full area of pixels: eg 45mp in the case of Z9 or D850.

In contrast to optical magnification, DX format is a crop of the FX image projected by the lens on the sensor plane, as does a 1:1 or other crop ratio available on modern ILCs. So a DX crop records ~20mp image in the case of Z9 or D850.
Yes, I should have added that a DX crop reduces the effective pixels of a FF sensor by 1.5*1.5 = 2.25x. So, a 45Mp FF sensor effectively becomes approx. a 20Mp resultant image; ie 45/2.25 = 20Mp. A 1.4x TC projects a 1.4x larger image on the sensor meaning you keep the same effective MP of the FF sensor.

Sorry, I didn't post a screenshot from dpreview.pl. What I found there surprised me and that's why I asked about the format for version III.

Attachments

• TC-14E_dpreview.jpg
    TC-14E_dpreview.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 0
Back