AF Subject Detection Setting for Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had a custom button set up on my Z9 for subject detection between "bird" and "animal" and I somehow no longer have it set up and I just can't seem to get there to make it happen. When I go to custom settings buttons the subject detection functions aren't offered to choose. Does someone have the formula to get that ability back? Thanks in advance.

I had a custom button set up on my Z9 for subject detection between "bird" and "animal" and I somehow no longer have it set up and I just can't seem to get there to make it happen. When I go to custom settings buttons the subject detection functions aren't offered to choose. Does someone have the formula to get that ability back? Thanks in advance.
To get a subject detection change assigned to a button you want to set up a Recall Shooting Function(RSF) that has only the desired subject detection assigned and then assign that RSF to one of your camera's buttons. I have RSF assigned to a center press on the Z9's joystick and have that RSF set to Bird subject detect with the default camera setup assigned to Animal subject detect. Prior to the new firmware release that included Bird subject detect the RSF was set to turn subject detection off.

Basically until you press that RSF button the camera works in whatever you've entered through the menus including via iMenu. When you hit the RSF (Hold mode) button the saved RSF features (in this case just the subject detection change) goes into effect until you turn the camera off and on or hit a control like exposure comp which resets the camera to its default state.

Setting it up is a two step process, first go into Recall Shooting Function and select the subject detection mode you want as your alternate and leave everything else unchecked. Then in Custom Controls Shooting you assign RSF Hold to one of the camera's programmable buttons.

Back