Affordable lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello, I am Nick. Recently, I bought a canon r10 with a 18-150 kit lens used. I am interestd in bird photography but due to my pollen allergy I will be satisfied with portrait, archtecture, macro etc. Which lens do you suggest baying bellow 100 bucks fo general purpose?
Thanks in advance, Nick

Last edited:
Given your budget, I'd stick with the lens you got with the camera. Learn to use the camera and the one lens for a wide range of images.

For bird photography, you need a minimum of 300mm. There are some 70-300mm options, but you will need an adapter to have a broad range of choices.

As far as how to best spend $100 - I'd spend it on photography education. Pick one or two online forums and become a paying member. Buy an appropriate guide to your camera and another book or guide to the subject matter you want to emphasize.

For less than a hundred bucks your only hope is to find a really good deal on a used lens. As Eric said above, you made need to use an adapter (to get an older lens made for Canon EF mount and adapt it to fit Canon R mount).

Thank you all! If I get well I will buy the rf 100-400. For now I am interested in the ef 50mm f1.8 (I already have the ef-rf adapter) for general shots. What-s is your opinion on the "nifty fifty"?

Thank you all! If I get well I will buy the rf 100-400. For now I am interested in the ef 50mm f1.8 (I already have the ef-rf adapter) for general shots. What-s is your opinion on the "nifty fifty"?
It’s one of those lenses you get good IQ for the money. I never owned the canon version, had the better 50 1.4 and 50 1.2L versions, but a friend had the 50 1.8. They provide you that shallow depth of field for subject isolation that is much more difficult to get with the kit lenses. It won’t help with your interest in bird photography but it an option for portrait. I didn’t look, but doesn’t Canon offer a reasonable price on the RF version? Also, with EF, you may be able to find the 1.4 version used for a reasonable price which gives you a better build quality.

I have the 50 as a walk around lens when I don't want to carry weight. It is good but not amazing, but on your aps-c camera it will be effective focal length of 80, so more like a short tele. I'd stick with the kit lens. The 100-400 is a good choice for the money.

Nick, if you are budget constrained, there are better options other than what you just bought, the RF is a closed mount eco system, lens and accessories are kind of limited, if I were you, I would do more research before committing to the RF mount.

Regards

Oliver

Last edited:
Nick, if you are budget constrained, there are better options other than what you just bought, the RF is a closed mount eco system, lens and accessories are kind of limited, if I were you, I would do more research before committing to the RF mount.

Regards

Oliver

I'm not sure what you mean? Aren't all cameras closed mount? Nikon Z uses Z or older adapted lenses, Canon R uses RF or adapted EF lenses. Crop cameras like the R10 can use RF or RF-s or adapted EF lenses.

No. Third parties are making lenses for nikon and sony, nobody else is making anything in rf.

I see what you mean. third party makers are starting to offer some RF and RF-s lenses. Of course the third party EF lenses can be used.

I guess it didn't occur to me as I only buy Canon lenses. There are plenty to choose from as one can see from the link I posted above.

Canon sued third party lens makers back in August, 2022:

„SHENZHEN JUEYING TECHNOLOGY CO.LTD, stellt unter dem Markennamen „Viltrox“ Autofokus-Objektive für den RF-Mount von Canon her. Canon ist der Ansicht, dass diese Produkte ihre Patent- und Geschmacksmusterrechte verletzen und hat das Unternehmen daher aufgefordert, alle Handlungen einzustellen, die die geistigen Eigentumsrechte von Canon verletzen.“

Canon Deutschland

Viltrox is a small fish, Canon went after other manufacturers with legal actions, within 1 ~ 2 months, all third party RF lens disappeared. From the business point of view, Canon made a brilliant move to lock the users into their exclusive RF garden.

After five years, only Sigma is offering RF-S mount lens of focal length up to 56mm.

1000016379.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back to OP's question & the tile "Affordable Lens", for someone who's just starting photography, tread carefully and consider a few years ahead, the total cost of ownership, buy right & buy once. Also, "Date the body, marry the lens (-mount) . "

Oliver

There are many choices at every focal length between native rf lenses With more on the way, adapted ef mount lenses even those from Tamron and Sigma, as well as a deep reserve of recently discontinued lenses at a bargain price. There is no shortage of choices.

Last edited:
Hello, I am Nick. Recently, I bought a canon r10 with a 18-150 kit lens used. I am interestd in bird photography but due to my pollen allergy I will be satisfied with portrait, archtecture, macro etc. Which lens do you suggest baying bellow 100 bucks fo general purpose?
Thanks in advance, Nick
Given your intended interest of architecture, close focus, and portraits, I'd look at a Canon 50mm F1.8 lens.
Knew they are about 200. You can find them used for 150 or less. B&H has one for $148 right now and they come up pretty often.

That lens would be OK for the uses you stated. May be a little too narrow in field of view for some architecture but if you're creative in how you approach it, a lot of great architecture photographs have been taken with a 50.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Thank you all guys! For now, I will search foe a used canon ef50mm f1.8 or the ef35mm 1.8. As time goes by and my pollen allergy improves I will buy the canon rf100-400.
Cheers, Nick

Another moderately priced choice is the RF 35mm macro. It is closer to "normal" field of view for a crop camera and is lightweight as a walk around lens. Macro lenses also focus well to infinity so don't let the macro label make you think it is only for closeups. In this case the macro part is only .5x magnification (one inch in the world is a half inch on the sensor, except you can consider the extra you get with the crop factor), where a macro usually is 1.0x (one inch in the world is one inch on the sensor).

Another moderately priced choice is the RF 35mm macro. It is closer to "normal" field of view for a crop camera and is lightweight as a walk around lens. Macro lenses also focus well to infinity so don't let the macro label make you think it is only for closeups. In this case the macro part is only .5x magnification (one inch in the world is a half inch on the sensor, except you can consider the extra you get with the crop factor), where a macro usually is 1.0x (one inch in the world is one inch on the sensor).

The whole refurbished catalog here. They give the same 1 year warranty as new.

Thanks bleiber!

Back