If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well we left for Africa on August 16, headed our first stop of Victoria Falls (Vic Falls) then we were picked up and transferred to the Pangolin Chobe Hotel were we met Guts and Jongman part of the Pangolin crew. Were we spent 5 glorious days on the Chobe River in the amazing Pangolin boats. (the envy of everyone else on the river). We found it to be a magical place like many others we too found the ride home at night on the Chobe is like no other. From there it was on to the Okavango Delta then to Madikwe in South Africa and finally to the Maasa Mara on September 1 where we met up with he Pangolin photo hosts Charl and Sabine for 6 nights for the Great Migration. But for us we were about 1 to 2 weeks to early. We still had a great time finding lots of cats and seeing them hunt. The experence has left me wanting to go back, something that when planning this trip I thought it would be a one and done trip and move on to the next adventure. One of the drivers told us that Africa was a dangerous place to visit; if you come once; you will come again. I think he was right. Here are a few of the shots I took from those places, I have many, many more. Most if not all were shot on a Sony A1, w/ Sony 300 f2.8 gm w/ 2x teleconverter (some with out the teleconverter). There is a story behind the lens I used, I really wanted to take my 600 f4 but due to the small planes we were limited on the type and weight of our luggage. We were taking a cruise after we finished the Africa part and I needed my laptop, backup drives and two lens that I would not need in Africa a 24-70 and 16-34 (we were going to England, castles and what not, need wide angle lens hence the need to cut weight) So the 300's weight is 3.4 lbs less than the 600...so it got left behind. But I had a 70-200 f2.8 and the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters which work famously on the 300 so left thinking "I hope this works and I do not miss my 600". Well the only place I really could have used the 600 was on the boat on the Chobe. Trying to use the 600 in one of the game vehicles would have been very cumbersome and the 300 was so easy to use mainly handholding it that I was really glad the 600 was 'cut'. But wait you say why not use a 200-600 (which I also own) Maybe it is my copy but I find that it is not as sharp as the 300 with teleconverter of fast as focusing. plus weighs about 1.75 lbs more and to me harder to handle. This lens and a older body I have will soon be traded in. OK sorry for any grammatical errors, run on sentences or spelling mistakes.

Attachments

• Africa 2024_24818-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    Africa 2024_24818-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Africa 2024_31979_2048px_2048px.jpg
    Africa 2024_31979_2048px_2048px.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Africa 2024_43169_2048px.jpg
    Africa 2024_43169_2048px.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8,733
  • Africa 2024_46689_2048px.jpg
    Africa 2024_46689_2048px.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • Africa 2024_50202-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    Africa 2024_50202-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,947
  • Africa 2024_75818-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    Africa 2024_75818-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8,593
  • Africa 2024_22505-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    Africa 2024_22505-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Africa 2024_83386-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    Africa 2024_83386-Enhanced-NR_2048px.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 43
Fantastic shots! I'm taking a Pangolin tour in March and from what I've seen in the documentation the total luggage weight limit is 25 kg or 55 lbs. I'm a little worried about it. I really want to take my Nikon 800 PF which is 5lbs 4 oz or about 10% of the allowance and that's before the 1st camera, other lenses, etc. I may have to re-evaluate how many pairs of underwear I pack. Do they check the carry-on and checked luggage weight closely? Can I cheat a little by hanging a camera around my neck and filling my pockets?

Tom, we found out It depends on where you are going on what they weigh. Before going I packed and repacked mine and my wife's things for days before we left. I balanced my clothes and camera gear between the two of us. Her clothes did not weight or take up as much as mine did. I am 6’-4” and 300lbs one pair of pants weighs little over a pound. My mistake was taking only 3 pairs of pants and too many pairs of shorts. I found that I only needed 1 pair of shorts, took 3. I tore one of the pairs of pants I had only taken 3 pairs total ( wore one and packed 2). So I was constantly washing pants. 6 pair of underwear. All the places have same day laundry, put it out in the morning and get it back that evening. Except at the hotel in Nairobi the Tamarind Tree all there documentation states if you drop it off before 9 am you will have it back that afternoon, nope they wash at night, drop it off before 9 and you get it back the next morning. We just got our clothes back to quickly stuff them into our bags to leave.
Ok wandered off topic a little in response to your question. At Kansae they only weighed the “checked bags” so my camera bag (Guru Gear 30L) and small bag (LL bean stowaway) that had my laptop, cpap and pills and camera around my neck was not weighed. At Nairobi Wilson airport they weighed everything including my camera bag but not my small bag or my wife’s backpack. If they had weighed those we would have been about 5.5kg total over between the two of us. We also had a mishmash of “soft sided bags” I saw on a You Tube video a couple had these bags that they packed their stuff in. I emailed them and found out what the bag was and bought one and wish I had bought two. A MIER 60L water resistant backpack duffle it was great it was a checked bag and we flew on 12 different planes, and 6 different airlines which included Atlanta, London (Heathrow), OR Tambo, Chicago. Only issue is it does not have a TSA lock for the zipper. It held a ton of stuff and held up great, the other bag I had and my wife’s ‘carry on’ (not her little backpack) well had to buy a hard sided bag in London for those 2 bags contents to go into. We also found that at OR Tambo, Nairobi and London there is a place they wrap the bags in plastic for a couple of bucks. Which is great, it protects the bag, wraps up the straps so they do not get caught in the baggage transport system and provides the security of not having the zippers locked. At the bigger airports, in my opinion a must do.

Now I mentioned that we were taking a cruise after the safari we had 1 hard sided bag that had all our cruise clothes (dressy stuff) and thank god another pair of pants for me. And a place to stuff the 2 pairs of short pants I did not need. We were able to store this bag at the hotel in Johannesburg we flew in then stayed overnight to then catch our flight to Vic Falls the next morning. Then we flew back into Jo’burg stayed over night to then catch our flight the next day to Nairobi. In Nairobi we again stored that bag at the Tamarind Tree where were able to store it there and pick it up because we arranged to have a day room to wait for our flight at 9 something that night (we were at the hotel by around noon the day of our flight on to London). Something we did not know until we first landed in Nairobi, was that the Nairobi airport will not even let you in the building until at a maximum 4 hours before your flight. You have to wait outside on the sidewalk or parking lot until then. At the Nairobi airport we went through security 4 times, X-ray the bags, laptops out, everything out of you pockets, etc. We even went through security when we landed there to get out of the airport building after picking up our checked bags. Let’s say I felt like my bags and cameras were glowing from all the X-rays.

Another couple of tips, a scarf nice wool one was a must, nice for covering your face in the truck to keep warm and not breathe in the dust. I just washed mine and I like to never got all the dirt out. First time washed it the water was like mud took me 6 times to get the water clear. The other is bring a towel big enough that can wrap around and cover your camera and lens that will be also your lens cap. This will keep it from getting so dusty and can quickly be removed to shoot. Futzing with a lens cap is a pain. Yes my lens was covered with a lens coat but still wanted to keep the dust off. I even tried one of the rain covers for camera and lens and that was a pain to deal with. The towel I used was again saturated with dust I had to hit it against the truck several times to get dust out. We had to wash our coats several times while on the trip just to get the dust off. A must and mean must have is 2 bodies with different lenses, one with a long lens and one with a 70-200 range. When I go again (already looking at possibilities ) I am just going to take 2 bodies, my 300mm with 2x teleconverter, my 70-200 and iPhone. 6 batteries, 2 chargers and a better pair of binoculars. I never used in Africa my 24-70 or the 16-34. The other thing we found is it depends on where you go if you will need a big long lens. At one camp they were allowed to go ‘Off road’ we were following a pack of dogs on a hunt and our driver was knocking down trees and shrubs to follow them. At the Maasa and Madikwe it was all on the road / track so it had to be a recognizable track ie no just taking off knocking down trees. But even then they will get you close. In the mornings and evening was the only time I wish I had a 400 f2.8 but my thing was not focal distance but wider f stop. So I would start with out the tele then as the sun came up I got good at putting my tele on inside a rain cover when the truck had been stopped for a while and nobody was driving by. Sometimes I would even find myself wanting to take off the teleconverter, of instance we so close to get a bird taking off the bird filled the frame so much I could catch it. So had to use the 70-200 and it was perfect for those shots.

Well this maybe a little TMI but hope it helps and if any more questions just ask.

... At Kansae they only weighed the “checked bags” so my camera bag (Guru Gear 30L) and small bag (LL bean stowaway) that had my laptop, cpap and pills and camera around my neck was not weighed. At Nairobi Wilson airport they weighed everything including my camera bag but not my small bag or my wife’s backpack. If they had weighed those we would have been about 5.5kg total over between the two of us. We also had a mishmash of “soft sided bags” I saw on a You Tube video a couple had these bags that they packed their stuff in. I emailed them and found out what the bag was and bought one and wish I had bought two. A MIER 60L water resistant backpack duffle it was great it was a checked bag and we flew on 12 different planes, and 6 different airlines which included Atlanta, London (Heathrow), OR Tambo, Chicago. Only issue is it does not have a TSA lock for the zipper. It held a ton of stuff and held up great, the other bag I had and my wife’s ‘carry on’ (not her little backpack) well had to buy a hard sided bag in London for those 2 bags contents to go into. We also found that at OR Tambo, Nairobi and London there is a place they wrap the bags in plastic for a couple of bucks. Which is great, it protects the bag, wraps up the straps so they do not get caught in the baggage transport system and provides the security of not having the zippers locked. At the bigger airports, in my opinion a must do.
Thanks for the info. Some of the info I've seen on the small bush planes suggests that hard shell luggage is prohibited. I think I also saw "no wheels". I've seen a few videos that suggest that wheeled soft sided luggage with wheels is ok (it showed them being loaded in the cargo compartment). I guess these are somewhere between hard shell and duffle bags - they have some structure, maybe an extendable handle, and wheels to roll - but they can squish a little in a few dimensions. Did you see these types of bags in use on the bush planes? Any problem if they comply with the dimension requirements?

I did not see any of the soft sided bags with wheels being used in the Delta by people in our group. Once you get to any of the camps the wheels are useless because most of the paths to your tent are dirt. The only part that has any wood is the ramp up to your porch. Your bags will be carried to and from your tent by the staff. In the Maasa I did see some duffel bags that had wheels on the bottom. There was one very young couple that we picked up at one of the stops in the delta ( the plane makes stops at other camps to pick people up) well we could tell they definitely were not having a good time and did not read any of the information provided. Their luggage was your typical rectangular roller that was kind of soft sided and the pilot was not too happy about it. She could not get it in the luggage compartment and had to end up in the back of the plane. So they did deal with it but I did see signs indicating they could make you take your stuff out and have to use one of their bags. That is what the pilot could not believe is that they were allowed to get there without doing that. Fortunately they were the last stop before the main airport. None of our bags had wheels or handles. In the main airports carts are everywhere and easy to get we just piled our stuff on one. At Jo’berg you can even take the cart across the street to the hotel. When you leave they will have someone take it across the street for you.
Pangolin will send you some information on the bags once you make your final payment. I wish they had sent it sooner but I had already been made aware of no wheels and soft sided.

Attachments

• IMG_8533.jpeg
    IMG_8533.jpeg
    645.5 KB · Views: 8
Nice images here too! Bots is a great place for wildlife, different from East Africa and different from us here in SA. But the beauty of nature is all around us.

Back