Africa sunrise sunset photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I will be headed to Africa next month and was wondering if you handhold for sunset animal scenes or pack a travel tripod?

Thanks,

Gerry
Travel with a tripod is getting more difficult these days. As a commercial pilot I lived and worked out of Nairobi for a year in 1982 and there were tons of photography stores in town. You might want to consider buying a cheapo tripod in Nairobi just for early evening shots (assuming you have the time to do so). Otherwise you might consider bringing a very small and light weight tripod with you. I never regret having one of mine with me.

I will be headed to Africa next month and was wondering if you handhold for sunset animal scenes or pack a travel tripod?

Thanks,

Gerry
You might also consider a couple of other items instead of a tripod. A fillable bean bag to support your camera lens over the doorway of the vehicle is a good investment and light weight. Another option is a clamp that you can mount a ball head to, and then attach it to the window frame of the vehicle. Both options are light weight and don't take up a lot of room.

You might also consider a couple of other items instead of a tripod. A fillable bean bag to support your camera lens over the doorway of the vehicle is a good investment and light weight. Another option is a clamp that you can mount a ball head to, and then attach it to the window frame of the vehicle. Both options are light weight and don't take up a lot of room.
I tried looking for a clamp that might attach to the roof of the vehicle. I will be in one where the roof top raises up, but really couldnt find what I was looking for.

I always take a tripod with me: for travel with a reduced amount of luggage I use a Gitzo GT2542T Carbon and a Markins ball head. It is strong enough to carry a Z9 + say 100-400 or even 600 PF. I put it in the checked in luggage, the weight incl the ball head is not even 2kg. The tripod came in handy many times, even for fighting off molesting dogs in some suburbs ...

Back