After reading only 1/2 of Steve’s book about metering. Got lucky. Any suggestions how the photo could have been better? Much appreciated

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

D9BED0C2-A5A7-4D4E-8067-8F1F22F1F92C.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice shot! If being picky since you asked you could see if there is anything to give as far as selectively raising the shadow areas, see if any detail is there.

Good shot. You did a great job with not just metering, but also sufficient depth of field on a macro subject and a pleasing composition. Nicely done!

Good shot. You did a great job with not just metering, but also sufficient depth of field on a macro subject and a pleasing composition. Nicely done!
Thanks! This is a z5, and read it wasnt good for wildlife. Steve’s tips negates that claim. I used my histogram as a guide, so if you amazing photography buffs say the shot is decent, I’m on the right path. Thanks again!

This is a z5, and read it wasnt good for wildlife.
In my opinion just about any decent camera released in the past decade or so can capture great wildlife images. Yeah, the top end cameras have a big edge for the most challenging, fast action wildlife but today's cameras are pretty amazing compared to what we were shooting just ten or twenty years ago and we were out capturing wildlife images on a daily basis with those tools as well.

IOW, the Z5 may not be the greatest when the action really heats up but don't get caught up in the idea that without the top end gear wildlife images become impossible, they don't.

You did a great job with this image, just get out and keep shooting and you'll likely find you can capture a lot of great images with your Z5. If the wildlife photo bug really bites and you find yourself going after much faster action wildlife subjects like flying birds or want other features of top end cameras then you might move in that direction but in the meantime just get out and shoot and learn about photography, wildlife behaviors, field techniques and the like and you can go a very long way with your Z5.

Welcome to the forums.

-Dave

Back