If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Shot at Lion Country Safari, West Palm Beach. Fla.

NZ8_5200.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I never managed to make it to Mkuze while I lived in S.A. One of my regrets....
Koos - at least I read somewhere you are moving to Florida. That is like moving to northern Natal, only better and the everglades and birds there will keep you busy for many happy years!

Koos - at least I read somewhere you are moving to Florida. That is like moving to northern Natal, only better and the everglades and birds there will keep you busy for many happy years!
Nope, I'm not moving to Florida. We share a condo there with my daughter's in-laws and I will be spending part of my future winters there, but home remains Ontario. Summers in Florida are very hot and seem to be just as uncomfortable as the cold winters up north. I still have a lot of wildlife exploring to do both in Canada and in Florida. :)
See https://www.floridarealtymarketplac...tistics-on-snowbirds-in-florida-for-2023.html

Nope, I'm not moving to Florida. We share a condo there with my daughter's in-laws and I will be spending part of my future winters there, but home remains Ontario. Summers in Florida are very hot and seem to be just as uncomfortable as the cold winters up north. I still have a lot of wildlife exploring to do both in Canada and in Florida. :)
See https://www.floridarealtymarketplac...tistics-on-snowbirds-in-florida-for-2023.html
Right, but you are still going to be in a shooters paradise, actually, two of them because Canada is huge! Lucky man!

Nice shot, Koos.
The heat here can be extreme but the worst thing about Florida isn't the heat, it's the No See Ums. Maybe animals with thick skin don't suffer them.

Koos - Thanks for the link, fascinating concept! In Oz, there are Silver Surfers - guys and dolls cruising across the country in large mobiles. Good choice for you do do this! Mooi loop!

Nice shot, Koos.
The heat here can be extreme but the worst thing about Florida isn't the heat, it's the No See Ums. Maybe animals with thick skin don't suffer them.
Thanks, Kirk. Yeah, I was introduced to the no-see-ums a year ago when I had dinner on the patio of a restaurant on the intracoastal waterway. Those little buggers made a meal of me while I was having my meal. The server staff told us they breed in the nearby mangroves.

Thanks, Kirk. Yeah, I was introduced to the no-see-ums a year ago when I had dinner on the patio of a restaurant on the intracoastal waterway. Those little buggers made a meal of me while I was having my meal. The server staff told us they breed in the nearby mangroves.
One memorable lunch, I'm sure. For you, not them. ;)

Summers in Florida are very hot and seem to be just as uncomfortable as the cold winters up north.
This is why God invented air conditioning. We live in North Fort Myers area and keep the windows open in the wintertime but in summer it's A/C on, get into the A/C car in the garage so it doesn't get hot and drive to the A/C bar/pub/restaurant/whatever. Photography sort of takes a back seat in the summer because of the heat but going out for golden hour helps a bit…but in reality there are far fewer birds to be found in the summer anyway, spring is where it's at here mostly.

This is why God invented air conditioning. We live in North Fort Myers area and keep the windows open in the wintertime but in summer it's A/C on, get into the A/C car in the garage so it doesn't get hot and drive to the A/C bar/pub/restaurant/whatever. Photography sort of takes a back seat in the summer because of the heat but going out for golden hour helps a bit…but in reality there are far fewer birds to be found in the summer anyway, spring is where it's at here mostly.
Much the same of what we do in winter here. Doors and windows closed, central heat on in house and car, park in underground heated garages at the shops where possible, otherwise bundle up in parka and dart from the car to the heated offices or shops. BUT...... summer here is hot and humid enough that we do the same as you again, doors and windows closed, A/C on. We do manage to leave windows open during parts of Spring and Fall, though. :)

And then there are the odd times when we manage to do some wildlife photography outside in the snow as well since not all animals or birds migrate. I guess that's why parkas and gloves were invented :). And in summer your absent birds are up here in Canada.

Much the same of what we do in winter here. Doors and windows closed, central heat on in house and car, park in underground heated garages at the shops where possible, otherwise bundle up in parka and dart from the car to the heated offices or shops. BUT...... summer here is hot and humid enough that we do the same as you again, doors and windows closed, A/C on. We do manage to leave windows open during parts of Spring and Fall, though. :)

And then there are the odd times when we manage to do some wildlife photography outside in the snow as well since not all animals or birds migrate. I guess that's why parkas and gloves were invented :). And in summer your absent birds are up here in Canada.
True enough.