If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Nature never ceases to amaze me. When looking through my photos from earlier this week, I had several of this very cooperative male red bellied woodpecker. Upon looking at one I shot really tight, I was absolutely amazed at the color and texture of his feet. They are a near perfect match to the color and texture of the tree's bark. I never really looked closely at a woodpecker's feet before and just found this really cool. (OK, insert, 'he's crazy' comments below).

Other than a slight crop and resizing for the forum's size restrictions, no other significant edits. I think I may have backed off highlights a little. I don't do a lot of editing on my photos, too fat and lazy. :)
_T3A6240.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That’s interesting. Kinda scaly and gnarly like a reptile, which they evolved from… nice shot Jeff..

The feet always interest me, strange as that sounds. I think it's the detail and function.
I’ve taken hundreds maybe thousands of photos of various woodpeckers. I’ve always been amazed at how they move about in the trees and how they use their tails more or less like a recoil spring when drumming. I never really paid much attention to the detail in their feet until a few days ago. Amazing little creatures. I will pay more attention to the detail of their feet now.