American Goldfinch eating thistle

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Andrew Lamberson

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I arrived at the field of thistles shortly after sunrise at 5:30 am. I have been planning this trip for months, thinking about when the thistle would be ready for the Goldfinches to make their nests. Lucky for me the field is right beside the dog park along Prairie Island Road here in Winona and I've been watching the Goldfinches every afternoon at 4:30 which is the mandatory trip to the Dog Park for Lucy to do her thing. But the field is west of the park parking lot and I was shooting into the sun (not good!!!). So an early trip was in order so that the sun would be rising behind me as I walked into the field. Dozens of Goldfinches were working the field but were not especially fond of me walking around so I went back to the car and used it as my "blind". Perfect.

Goldfinch eating thistle BCF.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

gold finch wide view.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I arrived at the field of thistles shortly after sunrise at 5:30 am. I have been planning this trip for months, thinking about when the thistle would be ready for the Goldfinches to make their nests. Lucky for me the field is right beside the dog park along Prairie Island Road here in Winona and I've been watching the Goldfinches every afternoon at 4:30 which is the mandatory trip to the Dog Park for Lucy to do her thing. But the field is west of the park parking lot and I was shooting into the sun (not good!!!). So an early trip was in order so that the sun would be rising behind me as I walked into the field. Dozens of Goldfinches were working the field but were not especially fond of me walking around so I went back to the car and used it as my "blind". Perfect.
Pretty shots Andrew!!

View attachment 64519

View attachment 64520
Great color, Andrew.

View attachment 64519

View attachment 64520
Excellent Andrew!👍👍👍

A car does make a good blind as your excellent shots demonstrates. I find that the smaller the bird the less shy they are around me. I can get within a meter of finches, sparrows, and juncos, but with larger birds it is 10 meters or more.

Back