If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

American White Pelicans migrate through the San Diego area each fall. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a few, and sometimes very few. They also are not consistent about which body of water they will show up at. This year there was a very large group that moved into the lake a Guajome Regional Park in Oceanside. I took a ton of shots and I liked this one the best. These are some of the largest birds in North America...I think the condor is the only bird with a larger wing span. And since they are so large it takes a very long time for them to become airborne as they skip along the lake surface...

White Pelican takes off.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I can see why you like this one. It's a nice image.

Another interesting aspect of their manner of takeoff is that they kick with both feet at once rather than using a walking/running motion like ducks/geese/swans.

I can see why you like this one. It's a nice image.

Another interesting aspect of their manner of takeoff is that they kick with both feet at once rather than using a walking/running motion like ducks/geese/swans.
Thanks Dan. Yes, I did notice the way they use their feet on takeoff but hadn't made the connection with take off technique of other water birds. I am now smarter than I was just a moment ago!