Amish Buggies

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Not your traditional landscape photo -- Amish buggies on a Sunday morning.

Amish Buggies.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Where in the USA is this ? I don`t know much about the Amish except that there are communities of them still living that old style of life with the horse drawn buggies , they don`t use electric either I believe nor modern day machines etc ..

Harry.G

Love photographing Amish life, although they don't especially appreciate it! There are several Amish communities a little south of me in upstate NY, and I enjoy tour their farms, especially in the fall. Here are a couple of my images from this past fall.
248B4E64-E984-45B1-81D3-D0EB4039CC58.jpeg

E45C4284-1CC2-4A97-B518-470377D11A40.jpeg

EE947D13-FF3B-4ACC-8027-DD3DA4A5D4CB.jpeg

Where in the USA is this ?

That was taken in northcentral Pennsylvania. The Amish are a Christian group that originated in Switzerland but all Amish are now in North America, having emigrated the the 18th and 19th Centuries. Their first language is Pennsylvania Dutch, a derivative of German, although they can also speak, read and write English. There are a number of subsets of Amish that differ in their degree of separation from the modern world and the amount of modernization they permit. The most traditional communities farm with horses and horse drawn/powered equipment while the most modernized use cell phones and electric fencing (utilizing solar panels to charge their batteries) and work in construction or related industries. In general, they do not permit electricity in their homes nor rubber tires on farm equipment. Amish society is exceedingly complex with many subgroups and communities. You can find a very brief explanation of Amish society here -- https://www.amishtables.com/pages/amish-culture

@Woody Meristem - thank you for that little insight..

@Abinoone - nice shots , its like taking a step back in time

Harry.G
Indeed it is, Harry. Almost all work is done by hand, including harvesting. No indoor water or electric, no carpets, upholstered furniture, etc. Kids walk to local, one-room schoolhouses, often barefooted, and attend only through eighth grade, then join their parents in the field, home, or workshop. But there's a beauty to their simple lifestyle and humility.

Almost all work is done by hand, including harvesting.

The Old Order Amish don't use many more modern innovations, but other communities in Pennsylvania do use some motor-driven (gasoline, diesel or propane) equipment (including tractors with steel tires). These men are using a motor-driven pump to spread manure --

spreading manure.jpg

The Old Order Amish don't use many more modern innovations, but other communities in Pennsylvania do use some motor-driven (gasoline, diesel or propane) equipment (including tractors with steel tires). These men are using a motor-driven pump to spread manure --
You are absolutely right! The Amish in upstate NY are mostly old order - everything, and I mean everything - is done by hand and horse drawn cart. Last fall, I watched two men walk alongside a horse drawn cart in a corn field, picking each ear by hand and tossing it in the cart. After 10 minutes, I was exhausted just watching them 🥴. They say the simple ways keeps them humble before God.

We have a large community in our area, Ethridge, TN. The numbers vary but there are somewhere between 250-500 living there since maybe the 1940's or 50's. They are the old order and do all manual labor, no electricity, etc. Very good people and no, they do not appreciate photographers. I do not hesitate to take shots of farms, houses, people from a distance, etc, but try to avoid taking their faces.

Back