Angelbird 512GB AV PRO CFexpress 2.0 Type B SE Memory Card

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Found this item for $284.46 AUD on Amazon Australia. As I am now within a fairly good chance of getting my Z 9 I am looking closely. I gather there are questionable offers coming out?

I have been having "hot card" issues with my SanDisk 128gb CFExpress card so I have been shopping around for other cards. The Angelbird cards are interesting in that they offer several different levels of performance. The AV PRO SE retails for about $180 USD and only comes in 512 GB but it's speed is the lowest of the Angelbird cards at 800 MB/s sustained write speed. The AV PRO SX retails for about $180 USD and only comes in 160 GB but it has a sustained write speed of 1480 MB/s. They also have a AV PRO series that starts at 1 TB and has sustained write speeds of 1300 MB/s and AV PRO XT series that starts at 330 GB and has sustained write speeds of 1480 MB/s. All of these specs are based on the Angelbird site.

I have a Z6ii so I don't know how much I can take advantage of speeds above 800 MB/s, this is about the same speed as my SanDisk 128 GB card but for the same price I could get 512 GB in an Angelbird card. With a Z9 I am not sure the 800 MB/s speed would be fast enough to sustain the high burst rates.

My only hesitation with the Angelbird cards is that I haven't been able to find and test data on operating temperatures. The specs say they are protected from overheating but don't specify whether that means shutting down? slowing down? For the higher performance and smaller capacity cards the prices are comparable to Delkin or Prograde so I don't really see any advantage in risking the unknown(i.e.potential temperature issues). Not likely an issue for shooting stills but could be during downloads or if one shoots video.

Thanks. I'm edging closer to my Z9, maybe, and top of the list at the local store after 3 months. My main reason for asking is which size card to start with. In Aus 325 Gb are approx S500-600 AUD. I am not a big video person but like BIF etc. I'll be going to Alaska and assume after 8 1/2 months my Z9 will arrive and so need to look closely at types of B memory cards and purposes. At present have D750 with dual 128 Gb.
Any thoughts. Mine is min. double present card size but say Anglebird SE is video and SX for photos. I think due to speeds.

I have two forums that I have started related to my experience with CFExpress.

The first is my "Hot Card" issue with the SanDisk Cards. You can read it here.

I did purchase the 160GB Angelbird AV PRO SX to use in my Z6ii. It runs plenty fast and much cooler in my Z6ii than the SanDisk. Infact I duplicated the shooting situation today that would cause my SanDisk to overheat and had no issues with the Angelbird card. I don't know if the 160GB Angelbird AV PRO SX is fast enough for the Z9. I did contact Angelbird about the AV PRO SX and the AV PRO SE and I posted their response in my Angelbird post. You can read it here.

I was very pleased with the presales reponse I received from Angelbird so don't hesitate to contact them. They also have their own CFExpress card reader and I just received it and it seems to be working well. The interesting thing about the Angelbird cards is that you can update the firmware but you have to have their card reader.

Back