Angelbird CFExpress B

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What is interesting about the Angelbird AV Pro SE cards is the difference in write speeds for the 512GB and the 1TB cards. The sustained write speed of the 512GB is 800MB/s and the 1TB is 1300MB/s. That's a big difference.
I once read on DPreview that they both perform similar after one of the firmware updates. So could be marketing to get sales to 1TB or maybe it’s true.

A side note. I have 5 CFE-B cards from Angelbird for like 2 years and also use their cardreder (MKII).
Today I went to check their support site and to my surprise was there a firmware update available, more specific V2.15 released in Sept 23. Strange, as I did not get any notification. Indeed, checked my email and last notification was for FW 2.12.
Long story short, I updated all my cards to the latest FW :) . Be aware, the FW update only works through an Angelbird CFE-B reader.
By the way, all 5 cards did show registered in my account.

What is interesting about the Angelbird AV Pro SE cards is the difference in write speeds for the 512GB and the 1TB cards. The sustained write speed of the 512GB is 800MB/s and the 1TB is 1300MB/s. That's a big difference.
Either way, the z9 and Z8 appear to be capped at around 800MB/s write speed.

Curious where this was reported as it would change all these what card to buy discussions.
Based on writing 8k60 video (and the associated mp4 or whatever it is) or 15ish fps in raw, you can do the math on your own. They cap out around there, and can't write any faster.

I'm not sure if it's officially reported by nikon but I've known about it since... I dunno, a few months after the z9 came out.

B&H says the 1TB $199 card is normally $299. But of course they are closed right now so my check out for the 1TB is saved until tomorrow night. I keep filling up my current cards quickly. I recall some years back when I got a 128GB card when they came out and someone said it wasn't good to put so many images on one card...Ha! Ha! Things have certainly changed. So now I have cards from 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, and now the 1TB card. I got a B&H gift card for $200 for Christmas...

I have just posted to Card Failure in the General form. You may be interested in saving some cash by rolling your own 1TB CF express B card which uses memory rated at 4800MB/S read/write. You will need a CF reader (Lexar RW550 $69.00 CND, up to 1700MB/s. Although no warranty stocked in Canada) and a computer with USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. 6000x50Mb Z8 images takes under 10± minutes.

Back