If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gaduf

We were on a boat on the Chobe River in Botswana when this Hippo emerged from out of the water in front us.
Fortunately our boat pilot reversed quickly to a safer distance .
Gavin
For some reason the exif data is not shown , I have now added - NikonD500, ISO 200, 300F2.8,1/800 Sec.
1709722526310.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Wow! is right! Yikes! I don't know that I would have been able to be that quick on the draw to catch such a wonderful picture.
Many thanks Robin,
I had my camera on a gimbal and the tour guide had warned us that there was a Hippo up ahead which had just submerged so I kept my focus on that position.
Appreciate your kind feedback .
Gavin

Wow! is right! Yikes! I don't know that I would have been able to be that quick on the draw to catch such a wonderful picture.
Many thanks Robin,
I had my camera on a gimbal and the tour guide had warned us that there was a Hippo up ahead which had just submerged so I kept my focus on that position.
Appreciate your kind feedback .
Gavin

Great shot that required quick reflexes!
Many thanks for looking and commenting Dan,
Fortunately the boat had Gimbal mounts, and the boat pilot had warned us that the Hippo had submerged ahead of us and could popup at any moment.
And it surfaced just ahead of us, and I managed to get a few quick shots before holding on as the pilot reversed the boat as the Hippo got too close .
Gavin

Were I there I might have needed a change of underwear.
Hi Koos,
Many thanks for looking and commenting,
There was a few anxious moments as the boat pilot reversed away from the Hippo.
These guys are very experienced and are taking photographers out twice daily.
They have an excellent knowledge of the wildlife and can anticipate situations that are dangerous and react accordingly.
Regards,
Gavin