Angry Water…… shooting dilemma 📷

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Larry S.

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We are in Kill Devil Hills this week on the Outer Banks. The weather is tricky at this time of year. Dramatic changes are expected. All the better for photography, right?
The sky got dark, wind came up so it looked like an opportunity to grab a few contrasty images of the waves breaking. But then a flock of small shorebirds (sanderlings) drop ”in-frame” creating a priority dilemma. To capture a series of waves I needed camera height, which I did with a monopole. To get best images of the birds I probably needed to be down in the sand. I decided to feature the waves and let the birds be part of the scene rather than the primary subject. The wave action turned out to be less than hoped for but the resulting few images are okay.
(sneaky wife takes iPhone picture of me!)
IMG_0771.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

D8J_3352.jpeg

D8J_3357.jpeg

Nice photos! I’m planning a trip to the Outer Banks after Thanksgiving. Love moody beach scenes and shorebirds pecking at the sand looking for a meal.
Thanks “J”… getting ready to post another from Outer Banks that I can’t wrap my head around. Weather not so good now. Very windy and cold. Bring warm clothes and don’t forget (like I did!..) to bring your CPL filter..(why on Earth would I need a 52mm CPL?)..🙄… left it home…duh.

Thanks “J”… getting ready to post another from Outer Banks that I can’t wrap my head around. Weather not so good now. Very windy and cold. Bring warm clothes and don’t forget (like I did!..) to bring your CPL filter..(why on Earth would I need a 52mm CPL?)..🙄… left it home…duh.
Thanks for the reminder! :)

Turnabout is fair play… I took a series of sneaky Meg throwing crumbs to gulls…. Something surprising occurred in these images however… I shot this series with the 58mm f/1.2 NOCT on the D850 @ f/8 +1/1000 sec. Manual focus and no VRS or IBIS with this setup.. I focused on her and just started reeling off shots as she fed the birds. When I put the card in the iPad not only was she and the gulls in sharp focus but the waves on the shore 100+ yards away were also sharp. 🤔?
I would not have thought f/8 in a standard length prime would produce this depth of field. Does this happen with lenses that have an aspherical element? This is a reduced resolution JPEG for Forum standards and much softer than original file….
D8J_3465.jpeg

Here are 2 crops from previous image that show resolution
D8J_3465.jpeg

D8J_3465.jpeg

Turnabout is fair play… I took a series of sneaky Meg throwing crumbs to gulls…. Something surprising occurred in these images however… I shot this series with the 58mm f/1.2 NOCT on the D850 @ f/8 +1/1000 sec. Manual focus and no VRS or IBIS with this setup.. I focused on her and just started reeling off shots as she fed the birds. When I put the card in the iPad not only was she and the gulls in sharp focus but the waves on the shore 100+ yards away were also sharp. 🤔?
I would not have thought f/8 in a standard length prime would produce this depth of field. Does this happen with lenses that have an aspherical element? This is a reduced resolution JPEG for Forum standards and much softer than original file….
This situation might be one in which your wife is at (or near) the hyperlocal distance from your camera, at which objects from half the hyperlocal distance to far beyond appear "acceptably sharp." Film photographers shooting landscapes used this approach to capture sharp photos. Now landscape photographers use focus stacking as long as there's nothing moving quickly in the frame. From your uncropped photo my guess is she was 12 to 15 yards from you.

Last edited:
This situation might be one in which your wife is at (or near) the hyperlocal distance from your camera, at which objects from half the hyperlocal distance to far beyond appear "acceptably sharp." Film photographers shooting landscapes used this approach to capture sharp photos. Now landscape photographers use focus stacking as long as there's nothing moving quickly in the frame. From your uncropped photo my guess is she was 12 to 15 yards from you.

Hey “J”, Great article and certainly explains what happened in this picture. Never heard the term hyperfocal, I’ve just done it that way when doing landscapes and didn’t know there was technical nuances involved. But, you’re pretty close on the distance estimate. She was between 15-20 yds. Had she been 50ish I would have never asked the question. At f/8 I expected the birds to sharp but not the shoreline 100+ yards away. Saved the article….interesting

Hey “J”, Great article and certainly explains what happened in this picture. Never heard the term hyperfocal, I’ve just done it that way when doing landscapes and didn’t know there was technical nuances involved. But, you’re pretty close on the distance estimate. She was between 15-20 yds. Had she been 50ish I would have never asked the question. At f/8 I expected the birds to sharp but not the shoreline 100+ yards away. Saved the article….interesting
I'm glad the information was helpful!

Back