Anna's Hummingbird

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

20220104-D85_6541-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

incredible detail in this shot, looks like one leg is missing, I would like to see the settings used when photos are posted in this forun
It does look like a leg is missing. However, what you see is a twig. His little legs are on the even smaller twig that are jutting out from it. I wish I could have edged over to my right a little bit so that his legs would have been in the photo and still be as close as I was, but I couldn't.

Here is a view when he was more distant.

20220104-D85_6259-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I love the subject matter/detail. I do think that they are both cropped too tight, especially the first one with some of his tail cut off. Is the signature/logo necessary? Personally, I find those things to be distracting to the overall look.

Stunning detail makes a lovely photo. I agree that it is cropped too close top bottom and left. But I don’t understand the smaller twig. It appears to come from nowhere, and go nowhere. Is it stuck in his feathers somehow, or am I missing something else? Hummers have very short legs, good only for perching, they can’t hop on the ground as most birds do.

Stunning detail makes a lovely photo. I agree that it is cropped too close top bottom and left. But I don’t understand the smaller twig. It appears to come from nowhere, and go nowhere. Is it stuck in his feathers somehow, or am I missing something else? Hummers have very short legs, good only for perching, they can’t hop on the ground as most birds do.
Thank you for the feedback. I agree that the twig is a distraction. I don't like it, but my ability to change position was limited as I was standing on a ladder.

Reactions: JSD
The twig would be pretty easy to remove in post processing if it bothers you. I agree with Dave that the pictures are cropped tighter than what I would prefer. The eyes are nice and sharp, and the colors are quite nice. Great shots!

The twig would be pretty easy to remove in post processing if it bothers you. I agree with Dave that the pictures are cropped tighter than what I would prefer. The eyes are nice and sharp, and the colors are quite nice. Great shots!
Hi Woody, I like the idea of removing the twig. When the twig (stump) is removed the hummers feet should be revealed. I don't know how to do it and achieve the results I desire.

Hi Woody, I like the idea of removing the twig. When the twig (stump) is removed the hummers feet should be revealed. I don't know how to do it and achieve the results I desire.
I think it’s the other twig you need to remove - it looked to me like a deformed leg at first glance! (I don’t know my hummingbird anatomy😁). I agree that you should loosen the crop on both shots.

Back