Another Z9 Failure

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BobbyV

After a couple of sessions that went well earlier this week, I was out again yesterday with a 500 f/4 lens and the Z9 would not focus on a Kingfisher that was about 25 feet away, with distant background and nothing that would confuse the focus. (When I switched it out with one of my D500 bodies everything worked fine.) The Z9 was at AF-C, single point, set on "release". I tried to focus on a big tree trunk, on my truck, and nothing happened. This morning I turned it on, with a fully charged battery and NONE of the buttons do anything except the shutter. The top LCD lights up and shows the battery level. I'm now trying to make sure that there is no operator error involved before I pack it up and ship it back.

Sorry to hear that

I start to think that Nikon switched hardware components in the latest manufactured units. Maybe due to this microchip shortage or whatever reason.

After a couple of sessions that went well earlier this week, I was out again yesterday with a 500 f/4 lens and the Z9 would not focus on a Kingfisher that was about 25 feet away, with distant background and nothing that would confuse the focus. (When I switched it out with one of my D500 bodies everything worked fine.) The Z9 was at AF-C, single point, set on "release". I tried to focus on a big tree trunk, on my truck, and nothing happened. This morning I turned it on, with a fully charged battery and NONE of the buttons do anything except the shutter. The top LCD lights up and shows the battery level. I'm now trying to make sure that there is no operator error involved before I pack it up and ship it back.

You don't own a 100-400 Z lens by chance do you?

Sorry to hear that

I start to think that Nikon switched hardware components in the latest manufactured units. Maybe due to this microchip shortage or whatever reason.
As i said in my earlier response, the cause of spasmodic or fatal issues is usually either related to software, or hardware being a batch component quality issue.

The component issue usually stems from faulty manufacturing standards, or a raw material supplier change or manufacturing source change.

The signs of a small spasmodic rise of issues in the Z9 being fixed with a mother board swap out is telling, seeing if that is a fix will also be telling.

In General -Many companies around the world have been seeking safer, reliable or additional alternative sources for chip and electronic component supply, add to that the pressure of lower cost needs as well.

Many companies around the world for the last 2 years have experienced a higher level of electronic related issues either hardware or software, be it cars, boats plains washing machines TVs, clock radios.

Whats happening with the few signs of issues in the Z9 is simply not good and at that level and price, sorry, shouldn't happen, fortunately Nikon usually jumps on things quickly with a Fix.

My concern is if things are not contained and fixed quickly the damage for resale may be an issue, with resale being a key means in the path to upgrade, lets hope the issue is localized.

I have said when volume goes down margin needs to climb, so as Nikon shifts to the sky with super high prices for some really good pro standard gear, quality control needs to be spot on, No exceptions.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
If there is an adapter involved, double check to be sure it is fully seated, there are contacts involved and to me it sounds like that is where the problem lies.

Sounds as if all the bugs have not been worked out yet for this flagship camera.
Strange things can happen especially with electronic items.......From what I am hearing of the Z9 issue its not a wide spread issue and one that has only surfaced recently, unless i have not been listening.

My new 4k 32inch monitor had intermittent black screen occur occasionally when scrolling with a HDMI warning symbol in the top left of screen.
Then it occurred more frequently, at times wouldn't recover till i turned off and on the computer.
I was told it was the cable or the connection, so swapping cables and using different ports didn't do a thing.
Sent the monitor back under warranty, the manufacturer said all ok, i plugged it in and it was the same issue.

Mean while i put on another very old screen and that screen worked perfectly. HMMMMM ???

I asked my local computer shop to look at it and they plugged it in for 24 hours and said it was all clear.

Back to the 4k monitor and the intermittent frustrating shut downs or now regular lock ups, a $1000 monitor for purely admin work was really frustrating and moody, the screen became a real puzzle.

I checked the internet for comparability issues with the screen and graphics card, they were compatible.

Frustrated I went to the Graphics card manufactures web site looking to upgrade or replace the graphics card, it had a download updates to all cards available, so i clicked on that.
it downloaded 3.9 mb update, it said it installed and updated drivers ?

PROBLEM SOLVED you would think someone would have asked or recommended updating the card drivers.

May be with the Z9 there were units that in manufacturing didn't have the software installed perfectly hence ?? only a guess......

Only an opinion

I'd check with a native lens to make sure FTZ is not the culprit here. It happened to me 2 times on an adapted F mount lens back in May/June and I had zero occurrences since (sold my last F-mount lens 4 months ago).

Reactions: O
I bought it from Hunt's Photo. They're gonna send me another one next week. Oh, and their customer service was excellent.
Did you happen to go to Hunt's show this weekend? They had two Nikon reps there Saturday, I would be curious to know if you were able to speak to one of them. I spoke to one about the people that are posting on social media about issues such as this and they said they weren't aware of any such issues. Company response. Hunts had 9 Z9's on the shelf Saturday so I'm glad you're getting a new one in a hurry. Good luck.

I'd check with a native lens to make sure FTZ is not the culprit here. It happened to me 2 times on an adapted F mount lens back in May/June and I had zero occurrences since (sold my last F-mount lens 4 months ago).
Interesting thought, I'll remember that, but mine is halfway to Maryland by now.

I woke up this morning, cup of tea glorious sunny day, thank you Universe, and I reflected on what where an how from here.

The Z9 Issue
I think we may not really know what the real issue is and does it even really matter, as long as the problem units/issue is fixed quickly and the issue is contained.

The Fix
Nikon has always stepped up and faced issues which is one of their strong points.

The Past
I feel for me the Z9 while and excellent camera its very much like the initial Z6 was, when launched Unfinished and far from perfect, i feel it was unfinished and rushed to market no doubt the whips were cracking and the tech team must of been burning midnight oil 24/7 to get the Z9 out as the window was open, and like other models will get somewhat finished in the field as we have seen before.

The Future
From where I Stand the image files of Nikon cameras and glass is all that holds me, i am not a keen or interested image editor, of course Nikon's service is top shelf.
For me the real investment is in the GLASS, that's the long game, the bodies will come and go.
People don't mind switching bodies but not so much massive switching on a lot of glass...........
Myself, i haven't any Z glass other than a 50mm 1.8s, i haven't reached that decision point yet, 2023/2024 has been marked on my calendar from 2021, i am happy using what i have with adapter and renting critical lenses if and when needed.

The Alternatives
My head has always been in the time zone of 2023/24 as being the real game, Z9II, A1 II, R3 II, R1, ? who knows, note how many pro Canon users have not wavered, i think the R1 will be more finished before release, if feel the coal face performance of the R3 is the very successful test unit to usher in the R1, something i didn't see from Nikon, i feel they went from the spectacular D6 to the Z9, or is it that the Z9 is really Nikon's test unit which means hypothesizing there may be a Z9 II around the corner ? who knows.

The Bottom Line
Investing in the glass is key, the bodies will come and go, price levels will be critical for many.

My girlfriend, My Muse, asked while we were walking on the beach, "how has this new mirror less camera system actually improved or made you feel about your photography " ?

I answered "its complicated, and it shouldn't have to be.."

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Back