Anti-AI Photography: Cara, Cloaking Tools, and More

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Doug

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have watched the many areas artificial intelligence has impacted and will continue to improve or change altogether. Photography/photographers are now experiencing these changes with hardware, firmware and application software. The group of articles at this URL has some very interesting.

https://flipboard.com/@photographer...cara-cloaking-tools-and-more-8h44juujav4dmaqk

AI is a harbinger of dramatic changes affecting our passion for creating images professionally or hobbies. I would be interested in learning what others in our community see AI bring to photography as we know it now. Good, Bad or indifferent? What areas will change?

AI is an umbrella term that means nothing. Mostly it is referencing image classification and machine learning which has been part of photography since matrix metering. It’s also used in many other areas like subject detection and noise reduction. In post processing with culling groups and sharpening. Heck spelling and grammar tools were ML based so we’ve been using them for decades.

What has “turned the tide” is generative and large models. Things that (as an exaggeration) take existing items created by people and randomly organize it into something new. It’s not really new stuff. It is stuff created by people and then mashed together.

Like any technology from the loom to automated sewing machines to robotics on a shop floor to various other automations that already exist today it will obsolete some job functions except as a niche (seen any barrel makers or cobblers lately?) and create new opportunities for others

AI is an umbrella term that means nothing. Mostly it is referencing image classification and machine learning which has been part of photography since matrix metering. It’s also used in many other areas like subject detection and noise reduction. In post processing with culling groups and sharpening. Heck spelling and grammar tools were ML based so we’ve been using them for decades.

What has “turned the tide” is generative and large models. Things that (as an exaggeration) take existing items created by people and randomly organize it into something new. It’s not really new stuff. It is stuff created by people and then mashed together.

Like any technology from the loom to automated sewing machines to robotics on a shop floor to various other automations that already exist today it will obsolete some job functions except as a niche (seen any barrel makers or cobblers lately?) and create new opportunities for others
I agree…the AI that is much ballyhooed is just more sophisticated software running on faster computers and bears little relation to actual intelligence…but AI is the buzzword everyone is using now. The lack of actual intelligence doesn’t make it not useful…just like LrC current version is more useful than it was 5 years ago. Actual intelligence means self aware to me…and today‘s AI is a far piece from getting there…but I will happyily use the more sophisticated software we have now.

AI will change society deeply, it already has.
If you consider the way deep learning works, it's not very different from how we learn and become who we are from experience and references. It's not going to take long before AI start to reference to itself, as humanity rely more and more on it, and that's something I don't like thinking about.

Just today at work I picked up a free local magazine (The Desert Leaf). It has articles every month on a variety of topics and often the author provides the photos as well. However, there was one article in this issue where the "photo" credit was "Illustrations: Adobe Firefly AI Generator".

Back