Any low light focus tips?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi y'all. I wonder how folks get accurate focus in low-light situations, normally it's during the early morning or after the sunset, blue hours. On Z8 & Z7, there are peaking options, do you set the peaking sensitivity to 1 or 3 ?

The attached picture is a sunset shot at a local pond, the sky became vivid red 30 minutes after the sunset, and by then the trees were very difficult to see. Even with the focus peaking on, I was not sure if I got the focus correct with a 24-120mm lens.

I would love to hear how folks handle this.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver
_BRC2140169CropEditPostCaddoLake16.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

random (probably unhelpful) thoughts:

1) brighten the exposure so your focus point is plenty bright, focus, then flip to mf to lock it in (unless you're BBF in which case you don't need to) then set your exposure the way you want it for the capture

2) astro mode?

random (probably unhelpful) thoughts:

1) brighten the exposure so your focus point is plenty bright, focus, then flip to mf to lock it in (unless you're BBF in which case you don't need to) then set your exposure the way you want it for the capture

2) astro mode?

John, Thank you, especially on 2) Astro Mode, I should use it more often; you are right, I can manually expose the scene to make it very bright.

Both are great tips.

Oliver

On the Z9, there is a setting in the Custom Settings Menu, D11 Starlight View. When set to ON it will brighten the display for ease of viewing in dark environments and make it easier to focus.
I believe the same is available in the Z8, listed as item D9 in the Custom Settings Menu
Thank you Ivan, yes, Z8 has that too, gotta remember to use it more often.

Oliver

Beautiful image, well seen and well shot!

I would love to hear how folks handle this.

For a landscape in low light I'd do much as you described, manual focus with focus peaking enabled. The one thing I'd add for a wide angle landscape shot is I'll often stop down a stop or more from what I think I need as a bit of DoF insurance. That can help in low light situations where it's hard to be completely confident I've nailed the focus.

Back