Any problems with using FTZ adapter + teleconverter + F mount lens on Z cameras?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bill M

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am finally acquiring a Z6ll and I initially want to continue to use my F mount Tamron 100-400mm. I know from previous queries that this Tamron works with the FTZ adapter. Since I am moving from an APSC DSLR, I am used to an equivalent range of 600mm on the long end. Therefore, in using the Tamron on the Z6ll I am considering at least a 1.4 teleconverter to maintain some of the reach I am used to. Seems like a lot of connections to maintain rigidity. Has anyone ever had problems with stacking ftz to teleconverter to lens? If so how have you solved the problem.

I regularly use the Z6 to FTZ to TC14EIII to 500mm PF with no problems. I do handle by the lens for handheld shots and by lens on the tripod. No problems in either case.

Structurally not an issue. However, I don't believe a Nikon TC will work with a Tamron lens and I'm also not sure if a Tamron TC will work on a Z body. I would look into that first as not all 3rd party lenses are compatible. I believe the 100-400 is but I'm not sure about TC's.

Has anyone ever had problems with stacking ftz to teleconverter to lens?
I use TCs with my Z6 II all the time without problems. But just to be clear you have to use an F mount TC attached to the lens and the FTZ adapter attached to that and then to the camera body. It's not possible to mount a Z mount TC and then the FTZ so you have to use F mount TCs directly attached to the lens.

Structurally not an issue. However, I don't believe a Nikon TC will work with a Tamron lens and I'm also not sure if a Tamron TC will work on a Z body. I would look into that first as not all 3rd party lenses are compatible. I believe the 100-400 is but I'm not sure about TC's.
Thank you. Good advice on checking TC compatibility.

I use TCs with my Z6 II all the time without problems. But just to be clear you have to use an F mount TC attached to the lens and the FTZ adapter attached to that and then to the camera body. It's not possible to mount a Z mount TC and then the FTZ so you have to use F mount TCs directly attached to the lens.
Thanks for the clarification of the order of attachment.

Not sure you'd be happy with the IQ of the Tamron 100-400mm even if you can use a TC.
Thanks. I hear you. Guess I won't know until I try. That's why I am keeping my D7500 to use with the Tamron 100-400 as back up. Thiat way I can maintain reach and be okay with the existing IQ until my Purchasing Agent understands I absolutely need the new 100-400S to round out my Z6ll kit.

In addition to the Z 1.4 teleconverter I use both the Nikon f mount 1.4 and 2x teleconverters without problem. I also use the Sigma 2x, which while soft, works as well as it did on the f mount cameras

In addition to the Z 1.4 teleconverter I use both the Nikon f mount 1.4 and 2x teleconverters without problem. I also use the Sigma 2x, which while soft, works as well as it did on the f mount cameras

Good to know you have no problems including 3rd party Sigma. Thanks

Normally like brand lenses perform better than crossing brands. So a Tamron lens with Tamron TC would be the way to approach this.

Using Nikon lenses and teleconverters on Z cameras, generally performance is good. Focus speed is normally slower, so it's tough for birds in flight. But for static subjects it works well. AF accuracy is better on the Z cameras than comparable DSLR cameras, so that helps sharpness and there is no need for AF fine tuning. The Z cameras also don't have the limitation of DSLRs that only some AF points will work with higher apertures. Any AF point will work on the Z cameras and you get much more coverage across the frame.

Of course, with a TC you lose a stop or more, so you will need good light for this combination to work well.

Normally like brand lenses perform better than crossing brands. So a Tamron lens with Tamron TC would be the way to approach this.

Using Nikon lenses and teleconverters on Z cameras, generally performance is good. Focus speed is normally slower, so it's tough for birds in flight. But for static subjects it works well. AF accuracy is better on the Z cameras than comparable DSLR cameras, so that helps sharpness and there is no need for AF fine tuning. The Z cameras also don't have the limitation of DSLRs that only some AF points will work with higher apertures. Any AF point will work on the Z cameras and you get much more coverage across the frame.

Of course, with a TC you lose a stop or more, so you will need good light for this combination to work well.

Thanks for the advice of Tamron TC to Tamron. Most of my long lens shots are static. So barring unacceptable IQ from the lens or TC combo it is worth giving it a try.

Just for context - I've used the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 with the Nikon 1.4 teleconverter. I'd consider it barely useful on my Z6. I tried birds in flight and it was too slow to focus. For perched subjects at a distance of 150 feet, it was pretty good in bright light, but clearly not as sharp as the bare lens. I used it stopped down to f/9 or so to try to squeeze a little more sharpness out of it. AF was accurate - just little slow. I was on a good tripod with a gimbal head. The same camera and teleconverter with the Nikon 200-400 f/4 was very good. Likewise the 300 f/4 and Nikon 1.4 TC was excellent even handheld. The extra stop and faster focusing lens makes a big difference. I don't even carry the teleconverter when I'm using the 200-500 even though it is possible that it will work - the conditions are just too limiting and performance is marginal.

You're going to be at the long end of the 100-400 - and that's f/6.3. Stopping down you'll be at f/10-11 with slow AF. Compared to the bare lens, you are at the outer limit of performance and it will take good light and excellent technique. It's possible - but not great. I don't think the combination will work at all on a D7500 or any DSLR - at least at a level we would consider reliable. That camera does not have reliable AF beyond f/8.

You might consider whether the answer is a different lens rather than a teleconverter.

With the 500PF on a D850, the focus speed really dropped when I added a 1.4 TC. On a Z9, the focus speed was basically the same w/ and w/o the Z 1.4 TC

I am finally acquiring a Z6ll and I initially want to continue to use my F mount Tamron 100-400mm. I know from previous queries that this Tamron works with the FTZ adapter. Since I am moving from an APSC DSLR, I am used to an equivalent range of 600mm on the long end. Therefore, in using the Tamron on the Z6ll I am considering at least a 1.4 teleconverter to maintain some of the reach I am used to. Seems like a lot of connections to maintain rigidity. Has anyone ever had problems with stacking ftz to teleconverter to lens? If so how have you solved the problem.

I have a Z6II & a Z9. I have successfully used both camera's with a FTZ & FTZII with a 1.4 TC and my NIKON 200-500 mm lens with GREAT results. Good luck!

I've had no problems using G Nikkors with the FTZ or FTZii with either the Z6 or Z9.
But other than on the Z9 they can focus a little slower. The Z9 focuses at least as fast with the FTZ as a DSLR.
I was lent a sigma to try but it wasnt very compatible with a FTZ adapter.

In my "test" last night there was no difference between a Z and an adapted F on a Z9.

Img945-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back