Any thoughts on the timing of the 800 PF announcement?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hopefully this will not put anyone on the spot nor cause anyone to violate an NDA, but does anyone have any thoughts or insights into the timing of the 800 PF? Lots of speculation it would be announced at CP+ which was cancelled and the time has come and gone.

I would be very interesting to be part of the Nikon product strategy team to understand how they time release dates. I suspect that Nikon is holding off announcing in order to build a sufficient quantity of lens to meet expected NPS initial demand. But then again (as Sergeant Schultz on Hogan's Heroes said) I know nothing

The fact that they brought it out on stage during that Japanese CP+ video makes me think it won't be long. I'd bet sometime this month. But who knows...so many factors could be involved. And of course, even though they did bring it on stage maybe doesn't mean a whole lot since they'd already released photos and very basic info on it.

The fact that they brought it out on stage during that Japanese CP+ video makes me think it won't be long. I'd bet sometime this month. But who knows...so many factors could be involved. And of course, even though they did bring it on stage maybe doesn't mean a whole lot since they'd already released photos and very basic info on it.
wonder what they are waiting for?

Final firmware (unlkely). final decision on pricing (could be)? Producing enough to initial demand (then we will need to wait a year or so unless pricing is very high).

If you remember, the issue with the 500 pf was the time and complexity of the large pf lens element. There is only a limited amount of pf glass they can make and add in pandemic/supply issues, they likely can't make very many of them. If the first production batch of glass ran into a problem, they would have to delay. As there are chips in the lens, that could be the issue, too. It's getting increasingly harder to purchase anything these days.

Jerking our chain so they get as much free publicity as they can from people like us. They can announce at any time since first shipments will be after the announcement - could be months after announcement.

Jerking our chain so they get as much free publicity as they can from people like us. They can announce at any time since first shipments will be after the announcement - could be months after announcement.
which would be better - teaser about the lens (as they are doing now) but hold back till they can ship a reasonable number, remain silent until they are ready to ship, announce but not ship for a long time (3-6 months or longer), or announce and ship take 6 months to meet NPS demand. No good solution - only a series of hard choices

Just based on the timeline of the 400s I was thinking probably this month.
Didnt they announce the development of the 400 the same day the Z9 was released for orders? And then orders for the 400 started mid-January.
They made the development announcement for the 800 in mid-December, so if they follow the same timeline for the 800, I would expect the official announcement and opening for orders to be this month.

Just based on the timeline of the 400s I was thinking probably this month.
Didnt they announce the development of the 400 the same day the Z9 was released for orders? And then orders for the 400 started mid-January.
They made the development announcement for the 800 in mid-December, so if they follow the same timeline for the 800, I would expect the official announcement and opening for orders to be this month.
Hope you are correct, though my credit card does not. If I get the 800 PF do I sell my 600 F/4?

Not to hijack this, but any thoughts on when the 400mm PF might come out? Think we are likely to see it announced in 2022?

I love my 100-400mm Z. I have been tempted to get the 400mm Z f2.8, but I hike/backpack several times a month at 10-30 mile distances. So lugging around the F2.8 isn't that appealing to me 😅

Reactions: Hut
Hopefully this will not put anyone on the spot nor cause anyone to violate an NDA, but does anyone have any thoughts or insights into the timing of the 800 PF? Lots of speculation it would be announced at CP+ which was cancelled and the time has come and gone.

I would be very interesting to be part of the Nikon product strategy team to understand how they time release dates. I suspect that Nikon is holding off announcing in order to build a sufficient quantity of lens to meet expected NPS initial demand. But then again (as Sergeant Schultz on Hogan's Heroes said) I know nothing
It looks like it'll be the next lens released.
Unfortunately I'm waiting to see the 100-600mm Z lens...🦘

Back