Anyone ever tried legs on a monopod?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Sometimes I don’t want to have to take my tripod out with me and for video a lot of times a monopod isn’t quite stable enough. Haven’t said that, I’ve seen several monopods that have the foldable legs on the bottom and they also make the legs you can buy individually to use on an existing monopod. This would most likely be the route I would go if I did get a set. I would really like to hear from someone that has tried to set up and what your thoughts are. I would most likely just use my existing Gitzo monopod, and buy the adapter to screw into the bottom of it.

In my experience it works fine if you just want to support the camera for remote trigger and can use high ss. Not very stable for lower ss work. IMO a small, light weight tripod is a better option if you actually need benefits of a tripod.
I do have a small series 2 GITZO tripod that I use for macro photography that works pretty well but sometimes when you’re on a trail or in certain spots in the woods, it’s hard to deploy. That set up on a monopod might not be worth a darn I was just curious if anyone had ever tried one.

I agree with @NorthernFocus and @Butlerkid. I got an iFootage base (has a locking feature with a release you can use your foot on) and it helps some on my PMG Monopod. I figured I would use it for table top stuff too. I haven't used it much and not with video. It's not an expensive at $74 and you could return it if you don't like it all. Travel and cats shenanigans have gotten in the way of testing it more, but hope to do so next time out. My gut tells me it could be good for your use in certain video situations.

You could test with your Gitzos? What head are you using? The iFootage allows movement at the base, whereas with the Gitzo it would have to be at the head. But at least you get an idea.

I agree with @NorthernFocus and @Butlerkid. I got an iFootage base (has a locking feature with a release you can use your foot on) and it helps some on my PMG Monopod. I figured I would use it for table top stuff too. I haven't used it much and not with video. It's not an expensive at $74 and you could return it if you don't like it all. Travel and cats shenanigans have gotten in the way of testing it more, but hope to do so next time out. My gut tells me it could be good for your use in certain video situations.

You could test with your Gitzos? What head are you using? The iFootage allows movement at the base, whereas with the Gitzo it would have to be at the head. But at least you get an idea.
I have the RRS monopod head on the Gitzo monopod which works really well for photos and not too bad fo video

I tried one, I'm forgetting the brand but it was the type where the legs fold up into to tube at the bottom. What I didn't like was for me the monopod is first and foremost a trekking pole that I add a small QR head to. What I didn't like was that the legs made it bottom heavy and they rattled around inside the pole with each step. So not a good trekking pole. I went back to my regular Brunton pole. Otherwise it was like a tripod with a really really tall center column. Less stable than a tripod with no center column but still if you let it settle down with a timer for landscapes or have good lens handling techniques for other shots it seems fine. Especially with ibis once the shutter speed is fast enough for wildlife you don't need to worry about camera shake.

I'd be more tempted to take the Peak Design Travel tripod and and set it up as low as possible if using one of the longer, light-weight telephoto lens. I don't think I'd put my 600mm TC on it, though! :eek:
I've used the PD CF tripod with the 600 GM. It's not stable enough for long exposures but it gets the weight off my hands. I use it most often when seated at or near ground level.

I've used the PD CF tripod with the 600 GM. It's not stable enough for long exposures but it gets the weight off my hands. I use it most often when seated at or near ground level.
If I did decide to get one, it would not be used with the 600 prime I typically only use the 100–400 or 200–600 for video so maybe it would be OK for those

If I did decide to get one, it would not be used with the 600 prime I typically only use the 100–400 or 200–600 for video so maybe it would be OK for those
Keep in mind that it might not be tall enough to use at standing height.

I'm not familiar with the 200-600 but the PD CF is fine with the 100-400, 70-200 f2.8 and 400mm f4.5 (Nikon lenses for me!) I happened to get mine on a Black Friday special @ about 30% off......that's the only reason I tried it. I don't know if they have it on sale occasionally or not.

I tried one, I'm forgetting the brand but it was the type where the legs fold up into to tube at the bottom... What I didn't like was that the legs made it bottom heavy...
That kind of monopod was developed for video, where being bottom-heavy was a feature, not a bug. A major use of the feet was to counter-balance the camera while the videographer was shooting while moving. The idea was that the weight stabilized the camera in motion, acting as a poor man's gimbal. Now, video gimbals are much more common and affordable, so it serves that purpose less frequently in video -- although it is still sometimes employed in that capacity. The other video-specific feature is that the feet can be unlocked, so the monopod can tilt about 20 degrees or so off-axis. This is used for "pull" shots, where the videographer starts with the subject out of focus and pulls the camera until the subject is in focus. Finally, the monopod does for video cameras the same thing it does for birders -- supports the weight of heavy equipment so the videogapher doesn't exhaust him/herself while filming. Video is generally less twitchy than still photography, so legs-on-a-stick will often be perfectly acceptable stability. But with still photography the legs are just a bulky encumbrance in my experience. FWIW

I have the mh-100 on a benro mad49a mono. It is a side mount and I haven't used the feet on the monopod much when fully extended and using a longer lens, but they can be helpful when seated and using a ballhead. The feet are 3leggedthingy and are a little weighty so I am not inclined to bring them if there might be much walking anticipated.

Take a look at Chris and Jordan's DPreview TV review of the iFootage Cobra 2 and later 3. I bought on based on their review and am quite happy with it. I got the carbon fiber, taller version. I often use it indoors with Z7 and 24-120 as a tripod, but only if I'm sure nobody (including the dog) is around to bump into it.

Take a look at Chris and Jordan's DPreview TV review of the iFootage Cobra 2 and later 3. I bought on based on their review and am quite happy with it. I got the carbon fiber, taller version. I often use it indoors with Z7 and 24-120 as a tripod, but only if I'm sure nobody (including the dog) is around to bump into it.
Thanks I will check that out

That kind of monopod was developed for video, where being bottom-heavy was a feature, not a bug. A major use of the feet was to counter-balance the camera while the videographer was shooting while moving. The idea was that the weight stabilized the camera in motion, acting as a poor man's gimbal. Now, video gimbals are much more common and affordable, so it serves that purpose less frequently in video -- although it is still sometimes employed in that capacity. The other video-specific feature is that the feet can be unlocked, so the monopod can tilt about 20 degrees or so off-axis. This is used for "pull" shots, where the videographer starts with the subject out of focus and pulls the camera until the subject is in focus. Finally, the monopod does for video cameras the same thing it does for birders -- supports the weight of heavy equipment so the videogapher doesn't exhaust him/herself while filming. Video is generally less twitchy than still photography, so legs-on-a-stick will often be perfectly acceptable stability. But with still photography the legs are just a bulky encumbrance in my experience. FWIW

I don't think it was one of those.

Have a look at the Sirui P-424FL carbon fiber monopod…equipped with the Wimberly MonoGimbal head, it has totally replaced my need for a gimbal-equipped tripod except in completely fixed-position situations where you’re waiting for the “wall hanger” moment. I don’t yet do much video but it’s definitely worth a look for your situation.

I’ve seen several monopods that have the foldable legs on the bottom

They are designed for video work. All of the Manfrotto monopods with feet are described as such. My iFootage Cobra 2 also has a ball joint where the column meets the base. The feet are detachable and can be uesd as a mini tripod with the heat plugged into it. Best monopod I've had - and I don't shoot video.

Me too! Best monopod I've had! I went for the Cobra 2 CF 180cm one. That was before the Cobra 3 was released. No plans to swap mine for a Cobra 3 though.

With mirrorless cameras with excellent internal optical stabilization a tripod is needed only for very heavy lenses or for very long exposures. What applied to DSLR cameras does not apply to mirrorless cameras. People are producing excellent videos with mirrorless cameras while shooting hand held.

I have several monopods but last year I added the Ifootage Cobra 2 A150S monopod that has a telescoping feature. I can have the 800mm PF on the tilt head and with one hand increase the height of the monopod while holding the 800mm lens with my other hand.

The Ifootage monopods also have the detachable tripod base. Removing the base allows its use for ground level shooting or to have a lighter monopod.

This monopod would be even better for use with the 600mm PF or the 180-600mm lens.

With mirrorless cameras with excellent internal optical stabilization a tripod is needed only for very heavy lenses or for very long exposures. What applied to DSLR cameras does not apply to mirrorless cameras. People are producing excellent videos with mirrorless cameras while shooting hand held.

I have several monopods but last year I added the Ifootage Cobra 2 A150S monopod that has a telescoping feature. I can have the 800mm PF on the tilt head and with one hand increase the height of the monopod while holding the 800mm lens with my other hand.

The Ifootage monopods also have the detachable tripod base. Removing the base allows its use for ground level shooting or to have a lighter monopod.

This monopod would be even better for use with the 600mm PF or the 180-600mm lens.
Those look really nice

Back