Anyone have a Nikon 800mm E?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am curious if you have the 800 and what you think of the lens? What do you primarily use it for? Would you buy it again?

I have been looking at 600mm f4 lenses but wonder if I should skip it and go with a 800 and either a 500pf or a 180-400 as a second shorter lens.

I would use it for wildlife and really enjoy birds. I wonder if I would be using tele a lot with the 600. Currently been using a 200-500 and sometimes using it with a D500 and still coming in short for birds.

Thanks for your feedback!

I'd get the 600mm because of 1) the weight difference, 2) the ability to have the extra stop of aperture , 3) size - if you every travel, the 800mm is tough to carry-on, and 4) the cost.

I am curious if you have the 800 and what you think of the lens? What do you primarily use it for? Would you buy it again?

I have been looking at 600mm f4 lenses but wonder if I should skip it and go with a 800 and either a 500pf or a 180-400 as a second shorter lens.

I would use it for wildlife and really enjoy birds. I wonder if I would be using tele a lot with the 600. Currently been using a 200-500 and sometimes using it with a D500 and still coming in short for birds.

Thanks for your feedback!
I don’t but I do have the Nikon 600E and it takes the 1.4TC incredibly well, as the others have mentioned. It also gives a lot more flexibility than having an 800. I also have the 500 PF. Together, it’s a great set up.

With that said, if the $30k is a non-issue, your thought of an 800 plus The 180-400 is certainly attractive.

Back