Anyone photographed Gorillas in Bwindi forest Uganda? Lens Choice?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thinking of adding on Biwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda to a Tanzania safari next June. Obvious lens choice with the Z8 is my 70-200 2.8. We will be hiking in the jungle, so It'll be dark, wet, and possibly very wet although it'll be at the start of the dry. Since I'll be coming from Tanzania I'll have two bodies, but if I add this side-trip to my itinerary I will be facing constraints regarding how much additional equipment I can schlep around as I'll already be carrying a prime telephoto and my 100 - 400. For those of you who have photographed the mountain gorillas, I'd love to hear about your experience regarding lens choices and how it all worked out.

Have photographed the mountain gorillas in Rwanda, so not sure it is exactly the same in Uganda. But an alternative to the 70-200mm f/2.8 would be the Tamron 35-150mm f/2-2.8 since the gorillas can be quite close. From what I have heard, the gorilla's in Uganda are often deeper in the rainforest so one has even less room to maneuver. Thus being closer to the gorillas would require a lens that can be used for such close encounters.

Last edited:
In 1992 I was on a safari that included Zaire (just before it became unsafe) to see the gorillas. Maybe the rules were slacker then but I remember I needed a fairly wide angle because they came so close. A baby came up to us and beat his chest, only about 6 ft away. I was unbelievably cute. That of course was films days and I didn't know much about photography but I still have the print which brings back the memories.

In 1992 I was on a safari that included Zaire (just before it became unsafe) to see the gorillas. Maybe the rules were slacker then but I remember I needed a fairly wide angle because they came so close. A baby came up to us and beat his chest, only about 6 ft away. I was unbelievably cute. That of course was films days and I didn't know much about photography but I still have the print which brings back the memories.
Not sure how they can enforce a distance that you have to stay away from the gorillas since they will do what they want. We had a similar instance (in Rwanda in 2011) where a baby climbing the bamboo above us and dropped down right next to me. And the silver back put his arms around someone (luckily not me). So think a lens that can get such close-ups can be useful.

Just did this trip last in 2023 only in reverse - Bwindi then Tanzania. I obviously left my 400/2.8 back at the lodge for the gorilla trek but I did bring two bodies, one with the 70-200/2.8 and the second with a 24-70/2.8. I used both with the 70-200 for those head shots and real close-ups and the 24-70 for the more environmental photos. We ended up doing two days with the gorillas and had two different experiences. At first I was going to bring one lens one day and the other the next but decided to bring both lenses both days and thought it was worth it.

Your mileage may vary. I will say that our first day was a very long and very arduous hike in the heat and humidity so brining both bodies and lenses was not pleasant, but the second day they took pity on us and assigned us a family that was close by.

A friend did a gorilla trip to Uganda in 2022. She reported there was moderate trekking through thick darkened forest. Steep muddy terrain was also encountered. The guides were accompanied by armed guards as poachers continue to be problematic throughout the country. She pointedly said long heavy lenses will not be used and shorter lenses are best. Shooting opportunities are most often at close distances within dense vegetation. Here’s one she sent to me in 2022..
DSC_2909.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I was there in July this year. Fantastic experience being with the gorillas. I used a Nikon Z 28-400 on my Z8 Great lens. Glad I had it with me. The interesting part was after the climb (which can be arduous depending how far away your designated gorilla family is), when we were back at the resort , one silverback casually walked in and about the place. Video below

I was Biwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda last September. I had both two bodies (Z8 and Z9) and used both the 70-200 and 100-400. The majority of my pictures were taken toward 400.

Getting close or not also depends which groups you visit. Either you visit a Gorilla group that are used to humans, you stay max 1 hour and the Gorillas stay around sometimes getting close. If you visit a group that is not used to humans you can stay longer but you might end up chasing them through the jungle as they move location (muddy, possibly fast pace and sometimes deep wholes from tracks). The later group might also be in trees and dense vegetation. I did visit both groups. Getting to the group initially can be a walk but we’re lucky. In call cases, I highly recommend to hire a local porter to carry your gear and water; it helps you and them (including anti-poaching).

I've done 4 Gorilla treks over the last 40yrs with Bwindi the most recent in 2019.
My 2 fav lenses are the 24-70 f/2.8 & 70-200 f/2.8 (plus a 1.4tc if needed), more often than not you'll find the families deep inside the forest and an f/2.8
really comes into their own, IMO.

As you can see from the image below, often the Gorilla's will approach you, and here the Silverback had us hemmed in with nowhere to go! The 70-200 I had on at that time
was way too close, even the 24-70 would also have struggled. o_O
In 1993 (in what was then Zaire) I was filming for an OverLand Expedition Company and I had a mother and her baby fall from a broken branch above, right on top of me!!...........there must be something about me that attracts these beautiful apes. :love:

IMG_8960b.jpg

I have been to Bwindi a couple of time. I found a 70-200 2.8 lens perfect. If carrying a second body a shorter zoom, 24 -70, would be good. The walking can vary from 40 minutes to 5 hours, depending upon the group you are tracking. The walking is fairly strenuous but not as tough as Kibale for the Chimpanzees.
You will get exactly 1 hour with the group you track and the Gorillas know when the hour is up:) They have done it virtually every day of their lives.
If you are a birder, Bwindi is really good but a guide is essential.
Not too far away is Queen Elizabeth NP, which is well worth visiting. Famous for the tree climbing lions. Ishasha is a good camp to stay.

Wow. Great input. I'm so on the fence adding this trip in for 2025 ($ and additional equipment to carry.) Maybe it's becoming a dedicated 2026 trip! Stoked by the comments and shares. Thanks everyone!

Wow. Great input. I'm so on the fence adding this trip in for 2025 ($ and additional equipment to carry.) Maybe it's becoming a dedicated 2026 trip! Stoked by the comments and shares. Thanks everyone!
It is an amazing experience so encourage you (and anyone) who can manage it (physically and dollars) to go! I added it on to a trip to Kenya since getting to Africa for me (in California) is such a long way. I understand that there are other places in Uganda and Rwanda to go to, but for me, it was just a side trip on my Kenya trip (short hop from there) specifically for the gorillas. For me personally, think a single camera with a lens that has a range of focal lengths was the way to go since can't imagine switching cameras or lenses in such tight quarters is feasible. One more video to give you the idea of what it was like:

I've done 4 Gorilla treks over the last 40yrs with Bwindi the most recent in 2019.
My 2 fav lenses are the 24-70 f/2.8 & 70-200 f/2.8 (plus a 1.4tc if needed), more often than not you'll find the families deep inside the forest and an f/2.8
really comes into their own, IMO.

As you can see from the image below, often the Gorilla's will approach you, and here the Silverback had us hemmed in with nowhere to go! The 70-200 I had on at that time
was way too close, even the 24-70 would also have struggled. o_O
In 1993 (in what was then Zaire) I was filming for an OverLand Expedition Company and I had a mother and her baby fall from a broken branch above, right on top of me!!...........there must be something about me that attracts these beautiful apes. :love:

View attachment 96568
OMG!😳That is crazy! I noticed a speed light attached…. didn’t the flash spook the gorillas?

My friend mentioned there was no shortage of greasy mud to negotiate in the hilly gorilla habitat.. Be orepared for that! She sent this along….
DSC_3491.jpeg

I was Biwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda last September. I had both two bodies (Z8 and Z9) and used both the 70-200 and 100-400. The majority of my pictures were taken toward 400.

Getting close or not also depends which groups you visit. Either you visit a Gorilla group that are used to humans, you stay max 1 hour and the Gorillas stay around sometimes getting close. If you visit a group that is not used to humans you can stay longer but you might end up chasing them through the jungle as they move location (muddy, possibly fast pace and sometimes deep wholes from tracks). The later group might also be in trees and dense vegetation. I did visit both groups. Getting to the group initially can be a walk but we’re lucky. In call cases, I highly recommend to hire a local porter to carry your gear and water; it helps you and them (including anti-poaching).
Did you use the Z8/Z9 animal tracking at all with the gorillas and how did that work? Would imagine you were spot metering too. I looked at the two images you had posted. Nice!

Did you use the Z8/Z9 animal tracking at all with the gorillas and how did that work? Would imagine you were spot metering too. I looked at the two images you had posted. Nice!
I used both the Z8/Z9 with different lenses (had the 24-70 as well) but do not recall if I used animal tracking. I am sure on some… have to check if I can determine that in LR.

My wife and I did that trek last October. It had rained all day the day before, but was sunny and warm for us. We are 75, pretty fit, and hired 3 porters. Should have hired 4. Down the side of a mountain for 30 minutes, then sideways for another 15. We found our group, lounging in a clearing. We settled in and shot them for an hour. The sun was actually not helpful, too bright on those shiny black critters. There was one on my left, I could have reached out and tickled his foot, chewing on leaves and branches the entire time. Some nice photos, great experience, BUT, the trek back up the mountain was the most strenuous hike we have ever experienced. Had to stop and rest a half dozen times, and would not have made it without the porters pushing and pulling us. We were the last of the group back to the road, and received a loud ovation from the rest of the group as we crested the hill. Don’t forget that Uganda is the primate capital of the world, over 25 species of monkeys and chimps. We photographed about 15.

We went to Bwindi in January 2020. An incredible experience but be prepared for a lengthy hike, initially on tracks, but as you get closer to the gorillas the guides will hack a way through the jungle. It can be very slippery. You will most likely get quite close so a 70-200 f2.8 and on a second body a 24-70 would be ideal. You only get 30 minutes and you can be standing on a slope so it’s better to have 2 bodies so as not to change lenses

My wife and I did that trek last October. It had rained all day the day before, but was sunny and warm for us. We are 75, pretty fit, and hired 3 porters. Should have hired 4. Down the side of a mountain for 30 minutes, then sideways for another 15. We found our group, lounging in a clearing. We settled in and shot them for an hour. The sun was actually not helpful, too bright on those shiny black critters. There was one on my left, I could have reached out and tickled his foot, chewing on leaves and branches the entire time. Some nice photos, great experience, BUT, the trek back up the mountain was the most strenuous hike we have ever experienced. Had to stop and rest a half dozen times, and would not have made it without the porters pushing and pulling us. We were the last of the group back to the road, and received a loud ovation from the rest of the group as we crested the hill. Don’t forget that Uganda is the primate capital of the world, over 25 species of monkeys and chimps. We photographed about 15.
That was our exact experience in 2022, except it poured the entire day and our trek was close to 2 hours, UP and down before we found the troop we were looking for. It's a good thing the lodge took care of our muddy hiking boots before we messed up the room. Returned to us nice and clean!

Did a gorilla trip in Rwanda 5 years ago. You have to stay 7 meters away from them, but they can come as close to you as they want. One of my travel companions grabbed my sleeve and pulled me towards her, which kept me from getting knocked over! I held a 24-70 while leaving the 70-200 on my camera (had to leave our packs behind). It wasn't the best way to go. If I did it again, I'd bring my 24-105.

I also want to say that this was one of the best experiences of my life. When it was over, and we were thanking the guides, I had tears flowing. I can't recommend doing this trip enough, you won't be disappointed.

Back