Anyone use GeoTag Photos Pro

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hooligans Imagery

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Geotag Photos Pro is recommended in The Lightroom Queens to use to Geo Tag locations with easy integration to Lightroom using the GPX file it makes. Would be an alternative to Snapbridge for other than a Z9. I believe it costs a one time fee of 11.99 Euro to unlock after 3 free uses.

I've used it for years to record gps tracks, though I don't often import it to geotag pictures (I use Sony's app for that). The app works well, has several options for how often to record locations and uploads the file seamlessly.

Is anyone using Geotag Photos Pro?
Hooligans …

Yes, I've been using Geotag Photos Pro for five or six years, and can thoroughly recommend the apps (on both smartphone and computer).

Let's imagine the following:
  • Five of us — using Canon, Leica, Nikon, OM-Sys & Sony — are together in a safari vehicle.
  • None of us has ever linked their phone, let alone Geotag Photos Pro, to their camera.
  • Each person switches on Geotag Photos Pro on their smartphone as the adventure begins.
Outcome:
  • All of our photos can have their precise location embedded in their metadata from the Geotag Photos Pro files. The process is simple and does not involve Adobe, Luminar, Nikon, Sony, Topaz, etc.
  • It is irrelevant that our cameras were not linked to any app or any device before, during or after our photographic outing!
Opinion:
  • Geotag Photos Pro removes the stress of geotagging images: just have the app running while you take photos and all will be well.
… David

Last edited:
Hooligans …

Yes, I've been using Geotag Photos Pro for five or six years, and can thoroughly recommend the apps (on both smartphone and computer).

Let's imagine the following:
  • Five of us — using Canon, Leica, Nikon, OM-Sys & Sony — are together in a safari vehicle.
  • None of us has ever linked their phone, let alone Geotag Photos Pro, to their camera.
  • Each person switches on Geotag Photos Pro on their smartphone as the adventure begins.
Outcome:
  • All of our photos can have their precise location embedded in their metadata from the Geotag Photos Pro files. The process is simple and does not involve Adobe, Luminar, Nikon, Sony, Topaz, etc.
  • It is irrelevant that our cameras were not linked to any app or any device before, during or after our photographic outing!
Opinion:
  • Geotag Photos Pro removes the stress of geotagging images: just have the app running while you take photos and all will be well.
… David

Thank you David, a nice summary :).
When you start the safari you start the app and obviously close it upon return. Can you import that saved drive into Google Maps with ease?

Can you import that saved drive into Google Maps with ease?
Vincent, we'll need someone with experience in using Google Maps to answer that. What I do know is that it is easy to download a GPX (GPS Exchange Format) file from Geotag Photos Pro.

Below is the track yesterday's photo excursion across the tidal flats of Moreton Bay. This is a screenshot from the Geotag Photos Pro app on my iPhone 15 Pro Max (current model).

… David

Geotag Photos Pro : GPX Track
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Location Info from Geotag Photos Pro shown in LrC

• Screenshot from Lightroom Classic–LrC showing location info added to image.
  • Note: Metadata Status = Has been changed.
  • None of the location information was recorded by/through the camera.
  • Geotag Photos Pro app was running on my iPhone (in my back pocket) from around 6:30 am until 8:00 am.
  • Minimal drain on iPhone battery.
  • Altitude = 3.0 m, according to the location information. My tide table indicates a low tide of 0.7 m at the time of taking the photo; add a bit more for the sand and the 'altitude' of my back pocket. '3 metres above sea level' is good enough, I think.

• Note: Direction = null. I'd appreciate having this info.
  • A web search indicates that the sunrise was at 66º — ENE in everyday speak.
  • Sunrise: 6:37 am — 31 minutes before photo. Midwinter, remember.
  • Temperature: 13ºC (air); 22ºC (sea).

Last edited:
@David Berry thanks this is what I was looking for. Tell me how easy it is to align the time in the app with the time on the camera which as I understand is key. Snapbridge will actually do that for you as well but what happens if you are a few seconds off? How do you handle that first step.

How easy it is to align the time in the app with the time on the camera which as I understand is key.
  • We can assume that the time shown on our smartphones is absolutely correct; hence, Geotag Photos Pro is correct.
  • Our cameras are the problem!
There are two ways (more, anyone?) to 'fix' our cameras:
  • Dig down in the menu system to find the date/time settings. Set the time for the coming minute (10: 31 pm Saturday as I write this) and press 'Set' as our smartphone's time clicks over to the next minute.
  • Or, preferably, master the Canon–Leica–Nikon–OM–Sony camera apps (those that we all 'love to hate'!); once that's done, the time on our cameras should always be set to 'internet time' whenever we connect.

I use to use a phone app to do this. It became quite the Hassel trying to sync the time of camera and app. I then purchased the following which stored it in the nef file.

Hi Jerry, I've been thinking of getting one of these. How has it affected your battery life?

I've also been thinking of their units that have their own battery. But it is larger than the one you linked. https://www.solmeta.com/Product/show/id/24

It can apparently also record a track file while the unit is on, but not attached to the camera. My understanding is that the track file could be added later to LRc or Nikon Studio later if the time is synchronized with the camera.

Thanks in advance for your experience with this. If I can satisfy this issue adequately, it will mean z8 versus z9 when I go mirrorless. I'm still shooting a d500.

Hi Jerry, I've been thinking of getting one of these. How has it affected your battery life?

I've also been thinking of their units that have their own battery. But it is larger than the one you linked.
It can apparently also record a track file while the unit is on, but not attached to the camera. My understanding is that the track file could be added later to LRc or Nikon Studio later if the time is synchronized with the camera.

Thanks in advance for your experience with this. If I can satisfy this issue adequately, it will mean z8 versus z9 when I go mirrorless. I'm still shooting a d500.
I have both, that one and the GMAX with battery. I used both on the D850 a lot. The one without battery does not drain much but I stopped using it when I got the GMAX. I use it on the Z8. It has more data such a direction facing when shooting. I also have a Z9 which has internal GPS.

I've also been thinking of their units that have their own battery. But it is larger than the one you linked. https://www.solmeta.com/Product/show/id/24

If you aren't going to attach it why not get the track with the app I am asking about?

If you aren't going to attach it why not get the track with the app I am asking about?
I'm going to look at that too. Right now, I haven't wanted to add any apps to my phone. It is already taxed with my use of ebird, merlin, Avenza for navigation, and iNat all at the same time during a bioblitz. I just got a new phone (galaxy 24+), and I'm evaluating battery life issues.
I may try the app and see. A solution that doesn't use my phone is pretty attractive. I couldn't make snapbridge work for me.

I'm going to look at that too. Right now, I haven't wanted to add any apps to my phone. It is already taxed with my use of ebird, merlin, Avenza for navigation, and iNat all at the same time during a bioblitz. I just got a new phone (galaxy 24+), and I'm evaluating battery life issues.
I may try the app and see. A solution that doesn't use my phone is pretty attractive. I couldn't make snapbridge work for me.
Snapbridge is for sure wonky at times. What didn't work. I have it working on Apple but haven't tested it enough to decide. There are some critical settings needed. I found this app when researching so that is why I asked about it.

Been using geotag for several years. Works great. Doesn't seem to drain the phone much. Syncs fine with LRclassic. Can be irritating when I forget to set the time on the camera, but not hard to recover from that error. Well worth what I paid for it. I have used it with google maps in the past, but now I mostly stick with LR.

Back