Anyone use this combo on Sony A1?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Artie Morris uses a Canon 180 macro lens and a Metabones adapter for all of his macro work. He said it is the best macro setup at least for the type of work that he does.

Have any others used this combination? If so, could you share your experiences?

Thanks!

I've used Canon 100L and all my shorter glass is Canon EF adapted. I think for shorter glass adapting Canon is every bit as good as buying Sony native. Plus you get modern MILC benefits like focus peaking and live preview of DOF when doing macro. I've never used the 180L but should be every bit as good if you like the lens on Canon.

I probably should have added a bit more context. I don’t already own the Canon lens but considering purchasing it. Was wondering if others had used this combo vs Sony native glass. Some possible advantages with this setup… greater magnification, narrow angle of view, and greater working distance.

I have the Canon EF 100mm macro on Canon R5 with the adapter. When researching it the 100 had just a tick better than the 180 on balance including cost, but with a few inches less working distance. Nice used market for both the current ef 100 and the older EF 100 that didn't have IS.

Nice discussion of both here:

Last edited:
I have the Canon EF 100mm macro on Canon R5 with the adapter. When researching it the 100 had just a tick better than the 180 on balance including cost, but with a few inches less working distance. Nice used market for both the current ef 100 and the older EF 100 that didn't have IS.

Nice discussion of both here:

Thanks!

Back