Anyone use Z9 + AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR + ftzII + tc-14e III?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kemble Widmer

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Shot my z9 + 180-400 tc (at 560) with extra 1.4 TC to get more reach closer to 800, and felt the results a little softer than they should be. In the field was nervous to trust it and went back to shooting at 560 and will possibly crop in post. New to using the additional tc.

Before I start a battery of tests, just curious if others use this combo and like the results?

(Hoping my tests will confirm the tc-14e III to get close to 800 is better than 560 plus cropping, but starting to wonder if the ftz + internal tc + external tc is just too much going on for best autofocus, etc. …. And know about increased heat distortion at the increased focal length, etc.)

Blown away by the z9/ftz / 180-400 tc by the way……..

Last edited:
I haven’t tested the 180-400 with stacked 1.4TCs.

But, I have tested the options to reach 800mm with the 400f2.8TC on the Z9. If the 180-400 behaves anything like the new 400, I suspect you will see appreciably better results disengaging the internal TC and using the TC-20e to reach 800mm.

I used to have the 180-400 and tried it with a Z9 in two 800 mm configurations. First with an external 1.4x attached and the internal converter engaged, and second with the 2.0x teleconverter. Both teleconverters were the newest F-mount models. Never liked results with the 2.0 but got some pretty good results photographing flying eagles with the external 1.4. Not every shot was good, but a lot of them were. And I agree with you about the lens with no external teleconverter and the Z9. It is an excellent combo.

Been meaning to try the extra 1.4 tc on my 180-400 tc and simply never get around to it! I did shoot some test shots when I first got the lens and threw the 1.4 tc on the lens; I'm not much of an engineer or tester and they were shots off my balcony but did notice a seeable difference with the second tc but need to try when actually shooting something I might want to actually keep :) And I'm with you, love the 180-400 on my Z9.

I tried stacking TC14 III with the internal TC engaged, but the result is too soft. Unacceptable softness
In his review of the lens in Nikon Owners Magazine, Moose Peterson claimed he was getting great results stacking TC14 and even TC2 on his 180-400. This is why I tried it.....
Free advice, I found out it's pointless, at least with my copies of these optics.
Yet I have an excellent copy of this Nikkor zoom, confirmed by testing against the 400 f2.8E FL, which I paired with the same copy of the TC14.
Above and beyond above, the 180-400 f4E TC14 is outstanding in quality and scope, especially for mammals.

Last edited:
I tried stacking TC14 III with the internal TC engaged, but the result is too soft. Unacceptable softness
In his review of the lens in Nikon Owners Magazine, Moose Peterson claimed he was getting great results stacking TC14 and even TC2 on his 180-400. This is why I tried it.....
Free advice, I found out it's pointless, at least with my copies of these optics.
Yet I have an excellent copy of this Nikkor zoom, confirmed by testing against the 400 f2.8E FL, which I paired with the same copy of the TC14.
Above and beyond above, the 180-400 f4E TC14 is outstanding in quality and scope, especially for mammals.
Thanks fcotterill, funny you mentioned Moose’s review, during my research that was the article i read that lead me to try the combo. And your experience stacking the TC14 and the excellence of the Nikkor zoom standalone mirrors mine.

Back